Gransnet forums

Technology

Gmail on mobile + laptop

(13 Posts)
FindingNemo15 Fri 05-Aug-22 18:07:46

Does anyone use gmail on their mobile and if so do the emails still arrive on a laptop?

I have a Samsung Galaxy V12 and an old laptop.

FindingNemo15 Fri 05-Aug-22 18:08:37

That should read A12.

Riverwalk Fri 05-Aug-22 18:15:30

Yes they do

Farmor15 Fri 05-Aug-22 18:37:22

Yes from me too. Often seem to arrive at phone before laptop. Also come to iPad

LadyStardust Fri 05-Aug-22 18:50:04

Whatever devices you are signed in on, your emails will be there. Likewise, if you delete mail on one device, they will be deleted on all devices!

ElaineI Fri 05-Aug-22 19:16:30

Yes mine do. I have an iPhone and MacBook.

Missedout Fri 05-Aug-22 22:54:26

Emails are held on the mail providers' (in your case Gmail) servers. When you open your Gmail app on your phone/computer, depending on your device settings, after an exchange of verification credentials, you are able to access your emails.

Providing you have set up your email to use IMAP protocol, until you decide to actually file or move your email, it remains in the server Inbox (it stays in Gmail's cloud). You can access the same email from any device that can provide evidence that you are authorised to do so - i.e. you have set up an account. You can download the email to any of your devices, have Gmail delete it or archive it among other options.

Usually, the first time your email is actually accessed by one of your devices, it is marked as 'Read' so when viewed on a different device, its title is not in Bold type.

If you set up the alternative POP protocol the email is downloaded to your device and you manage your emails on the device itself. It can cause confusion if you use more than one device because the first device to access your email has 'taken' it and it is no longer available.

IMAP mails take up storage space in Gmail, POP mails are only saved on the device that accesses them.

henetha Fri 05-Aug-22 23:18:34

Yes, on both. I thought it was standard.

FindingNemo15 Sat 06-Aug-22 19:31:04

Thank you for all your help. Now I will take the plunge.

annodomini Sat 06-Aug-22 20:51:14

It's on my laptop, phone and tablet. I just can't ignore it!

FindingNemo15 Sun 07-Aug-22 11:04:23

Had another thought. Does this apply to only using one email address or can you have more? Thanks

Blossoming Sun 07-Aug-22 12:40:23

You can have multiple email addresses. I have 6 on my iPad and 2 on my phone.

Missedout Sun 07-Aug-22 19:38:24

I also have several email addresses/accounts.

One is my primary for usual correspondence.

Then a second that is used as a 'recovery' email address in case something goes wrong and I am locked out of my primary account (I allow a few regular emails in this account otherwise I may forget to keep it open - use it or lose it). Perhaps not really necessary as I may supply a recovery phone number too.

The third I supply to companies I don't care about and from which I delete everything when it comes in! Every online purchase seems to generate a barrage of emails. Unsubscribing isn't always an option if I have actually bought something. I'm thinking about deleting this account as the spam filters are poor. I'll replace it with another provider and start again.

Note - I hope those with multiple email addresses are using different, strong passwords for each one. If not, if one account gets hacked, they can all get hacked.