Gransnet forums

Technology

Advice needed on an E Reader for my Mum!

(32 Posts)
choughdancer Fri 21-Oct-22 18:50:09

My Mum is 100 next week and has no experience of modern technology at all! The other day she was telling me that she has to use a magnifying glass to read books now, so I would like to buy an E Reader for her so that she can enlarge the print so that she can read more easily. I've been looking at reviews, trying to work out what is best to get. If I buy a Kindle she's tied into using Amazon, and because of their ethics I try to avoid Amazon.
I've looked at Nook, but it looks as if you can't download their books in the UK anymore, and Kobo.

I know that on Kindle you can only download Amazon books, but is that the same for all E Readers (that you can only download books from their company)?

I know that Gransnetters give wonderful advice, so I would welcome any help!

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Oct-22 14:02:32

IKWYM about Amazon though

Nannarose Sat 22-Oct-22 14:30:44

choughdancer

Nannarose I think that is very good advice! If I buy something that isn't easy to use, it will be a waste of money, and if I buy a second hand Kindle, at least I won't be 'supporting' Amazon initially. Thank you!

Always a good idea to buy second-hand tech as long as you are fairly savvy. I know folk still using Fairphone 1!

choughdancer Sat 22-Oct-22 15:33:43

Thank you all so much! I've just ordered an old version Kindle Fire; I couldn't have decided without your help. I reckon Gransnet is the best place for this sort of advice, as I also bought an Airfryer recently based on one of the threads!

Nannarose Sat 22-Oct-22 16:28:02

Hope it works well! Now I'm wondering what books I think I'll be reading when I'm 100!

choughdancer Sat 22-Oct-22 19:13:39

Her mind is pretty good still, apart from increasing short term memory loss, and being stubborn when anyone tries to help her! She loves historical novels by authors like Philippa Gregory, and I know she'd like to reread classics such as Dickens and Jane Austen; the E Reader will make the latter possible for her, as most of those have absolutely tiny print!

I also wonder HOW we'll be reading at 100; will E Readers be very old hat by then and will paper books still exist?

Floradora9 Sat 22-Oct-22 21:35:22

I agree get the bog standard kindle I spent a fortune on an Oasis and it is not better and tends to skip pages if my fingers slip. I do not know if you mum had Alexa devices but if she does Alewxa will read any kindle book she has in her library to her.