Gransnet forums

Technology

Soundbar. Has anyone got one they can recommend?

(10 Posts)
mumski Fri 17-Feb-23 13:09:25

We've had may threads about 'mumbling' and difficulty when listening to the TV and Soundbars have been suggested as a way of improving the sound quality.
Has anyone got one and would they recommend it? I've been looking at them but got overwhelmed with the choice and prices.
Many thanks for any help.

Dinahmo Fri 17-Feb-23 13:14:18

We use one and it has helped with the mumbling. Ours is Samsung and it cost about 120 euros a few years ago. (I'm in France) They're probably cheaper now. I think that some tvs have them built in but we don't have one of those.

Chestnut Fri 17-Feb-23 13:24:26

Two other ways to help with TV sound.

1/ If you have a Smart TV someone recommended adjusting the settings as this makes a huge difference.
2/ If it's your hearing then why not get a hearing aid. I only need it for busy places (restaurants, pubs) and watching TV, but when I plug it into the TV I can hear the sound crystal clear.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Feb-23 13:25:30

We have a Samsung too. Have had it for several years and find it very good.

ExDancer Fri 17-Feb-23 13:33:23

How do you plug it into the TV Chestnut, is it a special hearing aid? Mine are NHS but I wasn't given any instructions on connecting them to the TV. My husband could do with one, the sound from his football hurts my ears when he has the volume turned up to his preferred level.
Naturally he won't admit he's even a teeny weeny bit deaf!

Chestnut Fri 17-Feb-23 14:02:37

ExDancer

How do you plug it into the TV Chestnut, is it a special hearing aid? Mine are NHS but I wasn't given any instructions on connecting them to the TV. My husband could do with one, the sound from his football hurts my ears when he has the volume turned up to his preferred level.

Mine are Phonak Audeo from Boots so they are not NHS. They gave me a free Phonak TV Connector which I just plugged into the headphone socket and it connected wirelessly to my ears! Maybe ask if there is a TV Connector for your model? Obviously you'd have to buy it.

I assume that one person can connect directly to the headphone socket, or two people if you use an adaptor to create two sockets. You would have to share the same sound level on the TV and there would be no sound in the room, so a third person with no hearing aid would hear nothing.

Nanamary19 Mon 06-Mar-23 10:09:37

ExDancer

ExDancer
Specsavers do a range of modern hearing aids with Bluetooth connection.
Very reasonably priced to.

Oldbat1 Mon 06-Mar-23 13:57:16

We have a sound bar and we both are hearing aid users. We still need to use subtitles as well as the sound bar. Our Phonak hearing aids are nhs supplied but sadly not Bluetooth which is definitely the way I would like to go.

vegansrock Mon 06-Mar-23 14:09:48

We have a Sonia sound bar which is excellent. My OH also has smart hearing aids. He can listen to music, get phone calls directly through them.

kittylester Mon 06-Mar-23 14:10:34

We have Bose - it's better than the Samsung we had. The best one we ever had was a Sky Sound Box.