Gransnet forums

Technology

Another Scam warning.

(3 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Wed 22-Feb-23 10:53:08

Received an email from “Yahoo”. It told me that I would need to update my yahoo account to the latest version otherwise I would not be receiving my emails after an almost imminent date. It contained a link. At first I thought it was just an update operated by the press of a button. So pressed the link. It looked very authentic asking me to enter my email and password. I was just thinking I hoped I could find my password when at the top of my iPad flashed the word “unsafe”. My goodness what an idiot!!, I nearly fell for it. Then common sense told me that I would have been warned weeks ahead if any update was necessary. Just to be sure I went into settings and looked at my account. Nothing there and no more requests. I am sure none of you would have been taken in. I thought I was much more savvy but caught in the moment I nearly was. Just thought I ought to post it as the whole thing looked so genuine.

ExDancer Thu 02-Mar-23 12:34:08

There are more and more of these very authentic looking messages going around. One way of checking them is to look at the senders address across the top - its usually a garbled group of letters rather than a website - things like abc.%2345xyz.com - but then who thinks to check that?
Its not a good feeling that we are having to be on our guard all the time, you were alert this time, so congratulate yourself for being so on the ball.

LauraNorderr Thu 02-Mar-23 12:42:35

Thanks for the warning Lovestopaint. We can all have moments of not paying attention and fall for these things. Does no harm to keep on pointing out these nasty scams.