Gransnet forums

Technology

A mystery about a photo/printing problem.

(12 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Fri 24-Feb-23 10:00:13

This is the oddest thing and wondering if anyone clever has the answer which I would love to have. I received some photos taken on an iPhone and sent to my iPhone 12. I then proceeded to print them on my recently purchased HP Office Jet 7720. They printed as black sheets except one which was perfect. I print on A4 normal paper as I use them for painting The one that was perfect was a screen shot I took after stretching the image out. I then tried printing previous photos and all came out as normal. These included one sent to me by someone else. I then took screen shots of the ones sent to me without alteration. They then printed. This has never happened before. Would love to know if there is an answer. Thank you for reading this.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Feb-23 11:43:46

Have you been on to Apple or HP?
I have had help from both of these companies by phone.

Chestnut Fri 24-Feb-23 14:56:50

I agree it's probably best to go to the manufacturers. It's also difficult without a picture of the pictures, so the problem can be seen. However, I don't think you'll find anyone here with enough technical knowledge unless NorthFace comes online. He/she seems to be brilliant at technology!

Lovetopaint037 Fri 24-Feb-23 18:35:14

Thank you. I was going to contact HP but then the other photos were all printing. Then wondered about Apple. Thought was there something going on with an update on the sender's iPhone. Thank you both again.

NorthFace Fri 24-Feb-23 20:01:42

Can you tell me what image formats the sending and receiving phones are using - jpeg or HEIF (High Efficiency Image File). HEIF files have an .heic extension.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

The issue could be that you are asking your printer to print .heic files which is won't recognise without conversion to .jpeg.

In Photos click the i button to find the image format.

Lots on information online about how to convert formats and resolve printer issues to do with .heic

(Thank you Chestnut).

Chestnut Fri 24-Feb-23 23:59:24

Hey! NorthFace the expert is here! What would we do without you? 😍 (I hope the OP comes back with the information).

Lovetopaint037 Sat 25-Feb-23 10:14:45

Heavens above NorthFace. Thank you. I will attempt to sort it out as you have suggested. In fact I will put my 82 year old brain in full charge. Thank you.
Just looked having pressed information. It says No Camera Information - JPEG and underneath it says 3MP 1536x2048. 146kb. I will now attempt to fathom out the Apple link.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 25-Feb-23 10:40:49

NorthFace. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I was sent 17 photos at once so could the camera have automatically used the most compressed method? Just thinking. ……..

NorthFace Sat 25-Feb-23 15:35:36

No. I don't think so and nothing to do with .heic.

Sounds like image was a jpeg taken on a 3MP (megapixel) camera so an older iPhone. Height 1536 by width 2048 is the resolution. Multiple one number by the other and you get over 3 million pixels. 146 kb kilobytes is the amount of storage the image requires.

This has me stumped for the moment. If you try again printing one of the unaltered images is it still happening? Can your printer print in single cartridge mode? What happens if you remove the black cartridge?

Lovetopaint037 Sat 25-Feb-23 23:10:51

Thank you so much for explaining what I had no idea about. Tomorrow morning I will try again. I dont know about a single cartridge. I will have to look into that. Thank you again.

Missedout Sun 26-Feb-23 11:10:16

When you received photos on you iPhone12, did you save them to your Photos app? From what you say, it seems that screen shots were successfully printed - they are stored in Photos in suitable formats. Also, if you saved the photos, you can inspect them and use the iPhone's useful editing features.

It may be worth your while to download a printing app on your phone. It will talk to your printer and you will be able to see print previews. Better than wasting printing ink!

Lovetopaint037 Tue 28-Feb-23 19:41:56

Thank you MissedOut. The photos sent were via WhatsApp. They automatically went into my photos. When they didn’t print I took screen shots and they did indeed print correctly.
Ha Ha!
I have only had my printer for a couple of months but it came with an App I have never used. I could look at it to see if it offers printing previews. Been a bit hesitant to use it so far as I had trouble setting it up as it needed the network changing. A very good HP technician talked me through this and the experience wore me out so much that I ignored the app as only wish to print photos on A4 ordinary printing paper as I use them stuck up on my easel. I will soon need to copy some documents when they arrive. So hoping that will work when needed. Thank you so much for your kind advice. I will continue to attempt to work it out. The last few days have been difficult but from Thursday I am hoping to come to grips with it.