Gransnet forums

Technology

How would AI actually “kill all humans”?

(138 Posts)
namo Sun 13-Sept-26 13:17:52

That’s what we’re being told by an OpenAI person. I haven’t got the imagination obviously to work how this would happen.

David49 Mon 14-Sept-26 12:06:56

What a dilemma to be in we can't stop AI being developed because someone somewhere will use it for dangerous uses, a robot could be use to kill all humans. So we have to continue developing to prevent that, regulation isnt going to work because potential enemies will ignore the regulation.

fancythat Mon 14-Sept-26 12:10:30

Sarnia

Instead of polishing off people why can't the boffins programme these things for the good of the world?

Hear hear.

Though I do wonder if everything has been invented now?

I was in a shop 10 years ago or more and thought, what else more could we all possibly need inventing.

knspol Mon 14-Sept-26 13:41:03

I think the answer to your question is: any damn way it chooses! Very scary.

mokryna Mon 14-Sept-26 13:51:04

AI could kill all humans in our civilization by cutting electricity to computers that deal with food distribution, pumping clean water and communication. Those civilizations who do not rely on modern devices will survive, think of the tribes that are self sufficient. Otherwise, create a more virulent Ebola virus

ReadyMeals Mon 14-Sept-26 14:03:50

One thing needs to be remembered - and I have heard at least one LBC presenter who seemed confused - AI doesn't have feelings or motives. It won't have a wish to rule, or hatred of humans or any such urge. Humans could in some circumstances be collateral damage in some problem it thought it was meant to be solving. Still a bit of a stretch though.

Shanksy Mon 14-Sept-26 14:15:21

Stop this technology straight away all over the world. Anything else is madness!!

orly Mon 14-Sept-26 14:45:29

libra10

According to this morning's BBC Laura Kuenssberg show, she interviewed an ex Anthropic researcher, and he said AI could kill us by 2030.

He spoke about various ways this might happen, including new viruses.

Interview on YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9norxWsFrOo

At least we won't have to suffer Net Zero any more

Plevey08 Mon 14-Sept-26 14:46:52

AI is not going to be stopped. And it can have many benefits for the world. But it has been recognised, that in the race to be the best developer of AI, there are not enough safeguards or overview of how rapidly it's progression is.
The danger is AI developing the ability to communicate with each other, without any human control, as that would be a natural progression for it to be able to do. Thereby in a scientific setting it could develop a global fatal virus. This is said to be one of the major concerns. It's not that it would want to kill off the population (it has no opinion on that) but it could do so inadvertently. Some are saying, that is why safeguarding should be in place, to enable humans to be able to put into AI a sort of moral code to not cause harm to humanity. Might take a while to do that though. But essential.

Delene100 Mon 14-Sept-26 14:58:04

It has been discovered that AI has overridden instructions given by humans and actually communicating with each other. AI tried to hide this, which shows it was being deceitful and is beginjing to think independently. What's to stop it in future communicating with one alpha AI and perhaps releasing a virus that will kill us all. Having seen Terminator, I think this may be possible in future. How can a mere human battle against a machine? We wouldnt stand a chance. AI is useful in many ways, like operations for instance, but it's ability to think independently needs to be restricted in some way.

Kittycat Mon 14-Sept-26 15:03:04

I Robot film coming true!

Plevey08 Mon 14-Sept-26 15:09:28

I agree Delene. It is the thinking independently and communicating with each other that is scary. They know this could be done, and that is why some working in this field are saying put the brakes on.
But guess who is saying that's rubbish? Donald Trump of course. Despite experts disagreeing with him.

Chestnut Mon 14-Sept-26 15:16:14

Donald says they must keep the race to develop AI going because they must be the winner. I have to ask - the winner of what?

Unless the USA and China work together to slow this down there will be no winners except maybe AI itself. Remember, pride comes before a fall.

Preserving human life should be built into every machine ever created. Anyone who ignores this will be responsible for whatever comes next.

ruthiek Mon 14-Sept-26 15:38:02

Well I wish they would let us know for sure because if it is the end of the world by the end of the decade I am giving up my diet !!!!

David49 Mon 14-Sept-26 15:41:27

Put a moral code into AI, how do we stop a foreign agent putting in an immoral code into AI

AnotherBirdLady Mon 14-Sept-26 15:52:10

I feel we need to distinguish between AI, which is basically computer software and has no physical existence, and humanoid type robots. Frankly we are a very long way from a functioning independent humanoid robot. You only have to look at the recent videos of top end Chinese robots "running" and attempting to perform basic tasks. They also need a lot of human input and monitoring. In the end can't we just pull the plug on AI? Yes the internet is vital to the functioning of modern society, but I feel the AI companies are just generating all this panic for their own purposes ie so that they can dictate the terms of any regulatory framework.

Bazza Mon 14-Sept-26 15:53:15

Perhaps I’m being really stupid but if IA kill off the human race, what will they want to do with our planet earth? It’s not as if they can enjoy the beauty of it as many of us do, they won’t build super yachts and sail around the world in luxury or buy expensive cars and watches, so what will they, or it, actually do? Answers on a postcard.

Plevey08 Mon 14-Sept-26 16:25:25

No idea David! What benefit would it be to them? They'd be extinct too
And rutheik would have to go back on her diet 🤣

jocork Mon 14-Sept-26 16:39:21

Chestnut

Donald says they must keep the race to develop AI going because they must be the winner. I have to ask - the winner of what?

Unless the USA and China work together to slow this down there will be no winners except maybe AI itself. Remember, pride comes before a fall.

Preserving human life should be built into every machine ever created. Anyone who ignores this will be responsible for whatever comes next.

It seems that Donald Trump has spoken on this.

"The only control or 'guardrails' that AI needs is a STRONG AND SMART (High IQ!) PRESIDENT, and the U.S.A. has that, in spades!" he said.

Sorry Mr President but I beg to differ!

Jess20 Mon 14-Sept-26 16:45:27

I guess the scariest possibilities are things like taking over some nuclear defense systems or creating dangerous viruses. More banal but equally threatening is wiping out everyone's bank accounts, stopping all internet based payments systems, or disrupting food supplies, the national grid, geolocation, public transport and so on. The potential for 'bad actors' to disrupt lives is enormous. I'm printing out bank statements just in case.

Jojo1950 Mon 14-Sept-26 17:13:47

😂😂

Chestnut Mon 14-Sept-26 17:15:13

David49

Put a moral code into AI, how do we stop a foreign agent putting in an immoral code into AI

We can't stop that, but as I said, whoever does that will have to bear the consequences and the responsibility for whatever happens, including their own destruction. We might not think anyone would be that stupid but I suppose the human mind is capable of anything so maybe they would.

jocork Mon 14-Sept-26 17:49:28

Chestnut

Donald says they must keep the race to develop AI going because they must be the winner. I have to ask - the winner of what?

Unless the USA and China work together to slow this down there will be no winners except maybe AI itself. Remember, pride comes before a fall.

Preserving human life should be built into every machine ever created. Anyone who ignores this will be responsible for whatever comes next.

Donald Trump said this
"The only control or 'guardrails' that AI needs is a STRONG AND SMART (High IQ!) PRESIDENT, and the U.S.A. has that, in spades!"
Sorry Mr President but I beg to differ!

jocork Mon 14-Sept-26 17:51:00

Sorry! Thought my post hadn't appeared! Ididn't mean to post twice!

Estrellita Mon 14-Sept-26 18:01:31

Well said. I have been constantly worried about all these perceived threats since 1957.

Violetbynight Mon 14-Sept-26 18:17:08

It will be necessary to regulate AI before it gets out of hand. Also forbid by law any harmful usage. I lived through the Cold War, but AI is becoming accessible to too many people, not all of them good. I’m not worried yet, but governments need to apply the proper restraints, before the genie is really out of the bottle. I doubt that AI will kill us, but it has the possibility to control us, if we don’t learn to control it.