Gransnet forums

Travel

Gap year

(5 Posts)
Kiwigran Wed 01-Jun-11 20:52:29

My husband and I started our gap year, leaving New Zealand in 2004 and have been in the UK ever since. We will eventually go home, probably next year, but we started off travelling until money got a little short, then started working as Estate Managers (or Housekeeper and gardener) for the "rich and famous", we've had 5 great jobs around the UK. It's been huge fun, and it has enabled us to travel in Europe, Middle East, Far East (Vietnam is wonderful), etc. Anyone wanting any info on travel in NZ just ask.

crimson Sat 14-May-11 18:20:28

My son might be going to Cambodia; at first I though 'why?' and then 'is it safe?' but then I I started hearing what a beautiful place it is. It won't be for a while but I'll pass on what he says when he returns.

pengran Fri 06-May-11 11:09:38

My husband and I do a lot of extended travelling. Thailand, India, South
America and Europe. My advise is to do your homework (Lonely Planet guides are good) and be flexible. Take sensible precautions. After all if an 18 year old can do it .......We are also thinking of going to Cambodia next year. Have a great time.

bluegran Thu 05-May-11 21:00:01

What a great idea! However, if it was me I'd stick to Europe or the US with so much unrest in the world right now, I would feel more comfortable there.

Album1 Thu 07-Apr-11 10:50:18

My husband and I are recently retired and are thinking of taking a grownup gap year - or at least, gap three months. We don't have a limitless budget and want to do it in a studenty way. We thought Laos and Cambodia. Has anyone travelled there? Is it safe to travel fairly simply, staying in cheap places?