Gransnet forums

Travel

Adult only hols - advise needed

(10 Posts)
Labouroflove Wed 15-Aug-12 22:50:40

For the last 8 years I've run 3 gites in the western Loire region of Loire Atlantique as family centred holiday accommodation. Now I need some advise as I want to change the clientèle to adults only as we are getting on and trying to accommodate all the family needs is making changeovers quite hectic, also I find myself feeling quite uncomfortable when couples are renting next to families knowing they want a nice peaceful time but they might well end up with disturbed nights. I know there isn't much choice out there for adult hols but is this something people do look for. I also need some tips on how best to convey the message that the gites are for adults only without alienating doting grans and grandads angry. All thoughts and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

susiecb Thu 16-Aug-12 04:08:44

Holiday compnaies just advertise their holidays/hotels as adults only and seem to do very well- can't you just just it in your blurb?

vampirequeen Thu 16-Aug-12 06:42:35

I think adult only holidays are a great idea. I love my children and grandchildren but there are times when I just want some peace and quiet.

Bez Thu 16-Aug-12 07:21:18

I know of a gite complex which is for couples only - one bedroom places done to a high standard and a beautiful communal pool - they seem to do very well.

Nanadogsbody Thu 16-Aug-12 07:27:56

I agree with vamp.

If I'm on a family holiday ok, but just sometimes I like to get away from all the chaos that being a hands-on nana entails and chill out without a child in sight. However, there is another group of (often British) holidaymakers that drives me mad and that's the late teens early twenties who just want to party until the early hours if the morning. Shouting, swearing, etc. angry and these are classified as 'adult' so beware.

Perhaps you should contact Saga?????

gracesmum Thu 16-Aug-12 11:56:59

You could simply "Not suitable for children/families" or whatever and be prepared to give a minimum age you will accept. Likewise, you don't have to accept single-sex groups (stag/hen weekends) or you could even even go further and suggest mature couples only.Lots of hotels make that their USP!

glammanana Thu 16-Aug-12 12:47:10

Yes I agree with vamp I love my family but love our time alone without hearing a voice calling for "nana or pops*Somewhere you meet like minded people who don't want to party all night and disturb other guests.I think Saga is a good place to advertise but it is very very expensive you may be better putting ads in local free papers.

PRINTMISS Thu 16-Aug-12 16:42:37

I agree with vamp, and nana. Adult only holidays are a good idea, but we only take short breaks, and find that mid-week is the best time to holiday. Weekends are spoilt for us by the 'younger' adults(?) who do not seem to be able to enjoy themselves unless they have had a little too much to drink.

Labouroflove Fri 17-Aug-12 00:13:28

Message deleted by Gransnet.

shysal Fri 17-Aug-12 10:18:17

Looks wonderful labouroflove. I think you may need to clear this with Gransnet HQ, as it is a form of advertising. Good luck.