Gransnet forums

Travel

york pass

(8 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 13-Sep-15 13:26:03

Thanks everybody going to try and follow your advice. Here in york sitting by river with coffee + cake. Then off to the minster first.

Stansgran Sun 13-Sep-15 10:39:17

I prefer the Bar Convent for lunch /coffee and if it's fine they have a garden. The hidden chapel and the dolls house are worth it . I always visit the quilting museum and try to have lunch next door at Le Lunghe.

durhamjen Sun 13-Sep-15 00:04:30

In order for a York Pass to be worthwhile, you would have to visit a lot of attractions on it in a very short space of time. You can spend a whole day in the Railway Museum, so that would be a day wasted.
Little Betty's down Stonegate is much better than the big Betty's. Little Betty's might still be called Taylors.
If you do what Trisher says and walk the walls first, you will be able to see where else you want to go.
I'm feeling jealous already.

trisher Sat 12-Sep-15 23:46:42

There are free guided walks around York. I know York quite well but I did one last year and heard some things I didn't know about. They leave from just near the theatre-there is a sign showing where. Walk the Walls, walk along the river,visit the Museum Gardens, stroll down the Shambles-all free. Enjoy it is a lovely city.

joannapiano Sat 12-Sep-15 22:09:20

We have just got in,after a 3 day trip to York. It was really warm and sunny.The Railway museum was free and very interesting. We had a lovely river trip as well.It was nice having a guided tour of the Minster as so many interesting details were pointed out. We went on the train from Stevenage, and it only took 2 hours.Very busy city centre traffic, so we were glad we left our car at home.

vampirequeen Sat 12-Sep-15 22:03:03

The car park at the NRM is £9 for the day.

Walking the wall or at least part of it is must. Clifford's Tower is interesting if you can manage the steps. What about a boat ride on the river or an open top bus tour? Don't forget a wander around the shambles.

I don't rate Betty's tbh. It's very expensive but some people see it as unmissable so it's worth thinking about.

Stansgran Sat 12-Sep-15 21:45:09

The Railway museum as far as I can remember is free so you wouldn't need the pass for that. I do think that the parking there is costly. If your hotel has a car park then try to leave it there and use your bus pass.

Cherrytree59 Sat 12-Sep-15 19:30:01

We are going to York for 2 Nights hotel is booked. We want to take in as many attractions as we can. but these will be dependant on the weather, as to whether they are mostly indoor or outdoor The Minister is a given + DH wants to visit the railway museum which means I will need a chocolate fix at the Terry's museum grin we have been to Jorvik museum in the past so will I've that a miss. So can any GNer advise about if we should purchase a York pass or not .