Gransnet forums

Travel

Life on liner, in the 1950s: Anyone?

(9 Posts)
LuckyDucky Sun 11-Oct-15 10:14:42

Ahoy! smile Anyone been on a liner?

In contrast to today's expectations, no first class cabin had a bathroom. Only the four suites had bathrooms. Our voyage from Melbourne to Tilbury took three weeks. I enjoyed most of my time on Arcadia, well, 98% of it.

When we crossed the equator, the ancient Naval tradition of crossing the line/equator began. Those who hadn't crossed the equator were called Pollywogs; those who had were Shellbacks. King Neptune in his gilded festooned throne was in loud, commanding form. It was good natured fun and we appreciated the efforts to entertain us

Through the eyes of a twelve girl, in December 1958:
I stepped into a lift, a 'bell boy'' (a lad of 16) smiled. After chatting for some minutes about our respective lives, he leaned forward and kissed me on the lips [blush[ my^ first^ adult kiss.

Unnoticed by us, a passenger called the lift. It moved imperceptibly; we failed to notice the lift settle and the doors quietly part. They revealed the bell boy puckering up, eyes shut leaning toward me.

On the outside stood my Mother. Her sunny demeanour became thunderous as she realised the young girl was me. The unsuspecting bell boy leaned in, eyes closed. I heard, then recognised the cough. I
was frozen to the spot. Horrified, I saw my mother's sunny demeanour change to thunderous. Her eyes followed suit, from blue to grey, much as the sea when a squall is imminent. She coughed again. The young lad must have looked over his shoulder. She angrily pulled me out. Then he became aghast, embarrassed then concerned, as she warned him off, quietly and successfully.

A minute later, I had a hushed scolding in a quiet corner of a bar overlooking the bows. My furious mother whispered, "I have no intention of changing my plans today, in spite of what I've just witnessed." I still sigh when remembering that incident.

In a black cab from Tilbury to our London hotel we passed Trafalgar Square; the sky turned grey then yellow and seconds later, the air was thick with white, icy pellets. My first sleet shower.

ninathenana Sun 11-Oct-15 10:54:47

I'm confused, is this a memory/story you wrote/quote ??

Greenfinch Mon 12-Oct-15 07:59:57

My family and I emigrated to Australia in 1949 on the £10 scheme. We went on a liner and it took 6 weeks to get from Liverpool to Sydney. The cabins were segregated into male and female and I was unable to eat with my parents .Crossing the Line was a terrifying experience for me as a small child and I had nightmares about it for many years. The whole thing was definitely not a good experience.

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Oct-15 08:20:35

We were supposed to be going to Australia in 1955, my parents, older sister and me. My dad had a job in a mine lined up and the house was waiting. With a week to go, my mother changed her mind and they lost the £30, which must have been a significant amount in those days (I was a babe in arms, so travelling for free). My dad never let my mum forget, in a jokey way, what a wonderful life we could (apparently) have had. To be honest, we had a pretty good one here smile, and I would have hated to miss out on the family we'd have left behind.

LuckyDucky Sun 18-Oct-15 05:12:01

Hi Ninathenana

I wrote about my experiences as a passenger on the Arcadia in December 1958 from Melbourne to Tilbury as a 12 year old.

On re-reading it days later, the direction is unclear.

M0nica Sun 18-Oct-15 08:05:41

In 1952 I travelled from UK to Hong Kong on a troop ship. Luxury it was not. Our ship, the Empire Ken, was very small and usually only went to and from West Africa, but it was the time of the Korean War and many extra ships were needed to get men and materiel to Korea. The journey took six weeks.

On board, all men, regardless of whether they had families on board or not were in separate accommodation. My father was an officer and officer's families were accomodated in eight berth cabins. In our cabin, as well as my mother and us three girls there were two other women, both with a child. Baths were down the corridor and the water in them was part sea water (at least that is what I think I remember). What accommodation was for families whose men were not officers I do not know. I suspect similar, but on lower decks.

We children absolutely loved it. No school, we had the run of the ship and crew and soldiers and crew went to great lengths to keep us amused and happy. We left England in mid April and once we got to the mediterranean, we had warm sunny weather all the time. My sisters and I loved every minute of the journey.

LuckyDucky Thu 29-Oct-15 19:39:12

Thanks for taking time to respond smile

Anyone been boating or had a boat? Sometimes it's pleasant reading
to go slightly off the thread. smile

rosequartz Thu 29-Oct-15 19:49:48

I haven't sailed to Australia (although sometimes I think it would be a nice relaxed alternative to flying), but I enjoyed reading about your experiences LuckyDucky

LuckyDucky Fri 30-Oct-15 21:15:36

Thanks rose Oz is fine, great scenery, odd looking animals, wonderful produce and weird and wonderful birdlife and OK if you don't mind flies on those hot, white sandy beaches. ^My parents used to chain smoke
and blow their cigarette smoke at them. smile

I didn't make myself clear, I meant to post - *has anyone had a holiday on a boat or, owned a boat?

Thanks to greenfinch, maggie, m0nica - for taking time to post a reply.

nina thanks for reading my post and replying. My anecdote was true.

Seems I omit people (not deliberately) when they post a reply - to me. If I've missed a reply from you, my apologies. It was unintentional.