Gransnet forums

Travel

January short break

(31 Posts)
Debr4h Thu 22-Oct-15 16:42:58

It's my 30th wedding anniversary at the end of January and I'd like to book a short break for the two of us either in the UK or a short flight to Europe, I have a smallish budget and would prefer city to countryside . Any suggestions?

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Oct-15 18:35:45

ITALY every time...
It depends what you like though. Florence and Rome are both beautiful (and romantic!). Both have lots to see whatever time of year - art and museums, little restaurants, lovely walks, a river meandering along. There are also shopping opportunities and both have good transport links with winter flights.
There will be options for all budgets too. We rented a little apartment in Rome and "lived like a local" for four days. (Obviously, a local on holiday!)...Bliss.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Oct-15 18:41:51

Don't know where you live but just priced (flights only - not extras) on Google for 4 days end of Jan. Stansted to Rome - £40 each return!!! I MAY be forced to join you!

Wherever you go, I hope you have a lovely few days.

Antjexix Sat 31-Oct-15 19:20:22

Went to Edinburgh for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and had a brillinat time,such beautiful city and so much to see.

Bug180 Sun 08-Nov-15 09:21:05

I would recommend Bruges too, we went last Easter in our motorhome.
Edinburgh is another favourite of ours, going back up in 2 weeks to see the Christmas market etc. We went to Barcelona just after Christmas, I agree it's lovely, and has lots to see, but just be very aware of pick pockets! Hubby got his wallet picked, then another day we were targeted again, but realised it was a scam just in time!!! In 18 months of touring Europe, it's the only place I wouldn't return to now, which is a shame.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Nov-15 12:24:18

Hello,
I'm wondering what you decided Debr4h? Will you let us know? Thanks!