Gransnet forums

Travel

What is your travelling 'pace and style'?

(10 Posts)
loopylou Sat 14-Nov-15 12:45:08

Golly Stansgran, that's tired me just reading it!
DH would be the same if I didn't flatly refuse to participate or cooperate.
He goes off and explores while I potter and laze.
I've threatened separate holidays too!

Stansgran Sat 14-Nov-15 11:48:12

DH has itchy feet and he looks at a mountain range and fancies driving over it. Sometimes I feel I've never seen a place because he has wanted to get it the car and go to the next. I call it a Vezelay moment when we went there he couldn't wait to find a parking space and moved on. We plan to Elmore Bourgogne but end up in Provence . So I decide on Islands and now I refuse to look for hotels on the move. They have to be prebooked now. Cruises are brilliant for me as he can see a different place every day but I only unpack once. If we go to somewhere we've been before I manage to find something which we haven't experienced . Hard work though. I have managed to get five days in one city although he has a penchant for heading for the station and saying we could make XYZ and back in a day.

MiniMouse Sat 14-Nov-15 09:19:59

Seeing round the corner opens up a whole new world, doesn't it? So much more interesting and enlightening about 'normal' life. If we're visiting a city we often do the bus tour first, so that we get some idea of what we'd like to go back to and explore properly. We've often found that what is offered as one of the attractions doesn't appeal to us at all, so we avoid wasting time visiting it. City river boat trips are great for showing 'behind the scenes' places and often reveal places that are worth visiting. Getting lost in a city is an excellent way of finding hidden treasures, as we discovered in Granada last year - suddenly happening upon beautiful fountains and squares.

granjura Fri 13-Nov-15 20:00:24

which is why I just hate the thought of a cruise- going to land and having to be back late afternoon, and not have time to see 'round the corner' nd beyond the tourist sights.

We were bumped up to Business class on our return from our first trip to the USA (Arizona, Utah and Colorado- 1 month for our 25th wedding anniv ... 20 years ago )- and we thought we would never travel tourist class- but when you look at the prices- no way José.

rosequartz Fri 13-Nov-15 19:53:59

I do always like to see what is 'round the next corner'; I always think that I won't come this way again. There are always interesting people to meet on the way.
However, my pace has slowed down considerably these days.

My style would be first class all the way (but my finances won't oblige).

grannyactivist Fri 13-Nov-15 15:27:02

I have never really thought about it before, but when we go on holiday we don't do much in the way of 'sightseeing'. Maybe when the Wonderful Man retires we'll have time to take in more cities and sights, but when we travel we are more interested in the people we meet than the places we go IYSWIM.

Rosiebee Fri 13-Nov-15 14:59:02

We've tried to do a few 'Big Trips' since we've retired, incorporating a couple of busy periods and possibly a beach break. Last year it was 3 nights in Hong Kong, 10 nights Koh Samui [blissful beach break] and 4 nights Bangkok.We like exploring the cities but love the chance to unwind.
This year we had 3 days in Boston and then a fairly relaxed week driving around Cape Cod, followed by 5 nights in New York. The balance of activity/chill out time just suits us. Having said that, we had 2 weeks in Crete in September, doing very little at all, apart from reading and swimming. But that was after several stressful months -health/family. I suppose it all comes down to what you need at the time. When we were both working, our holidays were all very much like our time in Crete this year. Now we like to find out about new places as well. We're aiming to go somewhere new each time. Life's too short to keep going back. smile

Coolgran65 Sun 08-Nov-15 22:29:18

I agree. Our first and recent trip to Portland Oregon lasted 2.5 weeks. We used public transport, visited the 'sights'. Went further afield twice with ds and family to visit two specific spots.
Each evening we went for a walk in the local area, looking at the different homes, the gardens, the ordinary day to day stores.
One day dh and I spent in the city centre.
The rest was local parks, walking somewhere and getting the bus back.
People watching on the bus.
Really getting to know the place.

The same in Malta, such a small place and yet we didn't see 'all the sights'. We used public transport and took ages going places, covering just one half of the island. The other half remains to be enjoyed on another occasion.

Bug180 Sun 08-Nov-15 22:27:30

Happiest in our motorhome, be it 2 miles up the road by the canal, or 2000 miles away across Europe, see blog link in 'blogs' smile
It's always ready to go, any excuse and we're off.........last week took GS to Blackpool to see the lights.

granjura Sun 08-Nov-15 22:02:58

For OH and myself, often with sil and bil- we much prefer to see less to see more. Meaning that we always choose to cover less miles and less ground- to have time to look at one area really well- rather than rush, seeing just 1 or 2 sights per location, and rush off somewhere else. last year we did NE and N Sicily, and this year SE and the South- in 2 weeks each.

When we were in the USA last time, we kept meeting people on tours of 2 or 3 weeks covering the whole of the US- we limited oursleves to North Arizona, Southern Utah and central Colorado- and took 3 weeks to visit all the important sights at leisure, and behind the scenes too. Trying to do too much in too little time and not get a real feel for a place seems a real waste to us, personally. What about you?