Gransnet forums

Travel

To cruise or not to cruise?

(118 Posts)
LyndaW Wed 06-Jan-16 13:56:50

I've never been on a cruise before but I have a number of friends who only travel this way and my husband really wants to go on one. My chief concern is being stuck talking to the same people every day about the previous cruises they've been on. What's it really like? For those who are cruise converts, what is your favourite thing about them? Any specific length/destination you'd suggest for the virgin cruise-goer?

thank you

Bellanonna Wed 06-Jan-16 14:38:04

Firstly, make sure you get a table for two. You can always talk to people at other times but I think food is for enjoying and not for making small talk or listening to boastful conversations about previous cruising exploits from comparative strangers.
Decide what criteria you need. Large or intimate ship? Do you like a lot of entertainment? Destinations are up to you. Decide whether you want Canaries, Mediterranean, Greek Islands or further afield. Do you dislike flying? Then sail from Southampton ( or other ports). There is also the Baltic of course and Scandinavia, if you are not too fussed about warm weather and lots of time on deck.
We were, as you say, stuck with people on our first cruise but things have changed since then. Lots of lines have open dining so you sit where you wish.
One line we went with included shore excursions in the cost. It was small and described itself as a country house at sea. There were erudite lecturers,
Entertainment was minimal but good - a trio or quartet most days, plus lots of interesting talks, but the clientele were seriously on the older side. Peter O'Toole was a guest on one of our trips. Since then we have
opted for larger liners as they are more fun with varied entertainment and better facilities. Celebrity is one such, and most cabins have balconies, a feature well worth having. i gather they have relaxed the formal nights although these were never obligatory. Having said that it does seem that people enjoy dressing up.
I hope Galen comes on as she is an accomplished cruiser and don't believe what she says about mandatory and many strings of pearls. Not essential !
Do let us know what you decide.

granjura Wed 06-Jan-16 15:09:18

Really not for me, or us, I have to say. I love to visit towns and have a look behind and beyond- and I'd get so frustrated at having to get back to ship at a certain time, and being off-loaded at the same place with 100s of others. Each to their own...

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 15:09:52

Confession blush I've bought another string of pearls, baroque this time.
I find that people don't tend to talk about previous cruises. At our table a couple of weeks ago the conversation varied from dress styles 4women 2men) the performance of the comedian, football ( the men ), likes and dislikes in wine,some politics shock, ISL and divers other topics!

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 15:13:11

Oh! And being British,????????,of course the weather?

Bellanonna Wed 06-Jan-16 15:18:02

Yes it is different now Galen, but we did have that experience once.
Baroque pearls ? Goodness. Sounds ... Interesting !
Granjura, there is always time to explore if you opt to do your own thing rather than join the coach tours where you do keep hopping on and off. That can be depressing. We have often been able to explore behind and beyond although admittedly, not always. As you say, chacun .....

Bellanonna Wed 06-Jan-16 15:19:39

Although Galen that subject would meet with approval in the Canaries I imagine ?

Greenfinch Wed 06-Jan-16 15:35:09

I think an 8 day cruise is best to start off with and you couldn't do better than the fjords. The scenery is spectacular and the stops are interesting

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 15:37:05

Once we got there it was lovely, sunny and warm.
Force 10 in the Bay of Biscay combined with heavy seas and a 30m swell was --- interesting?

rosesarered Wed 06-Jan-16 15:39:40

I like the idea of a cruise, but fear sea-sickness. therefore anything on a river would be fine, or fjords, but a Med cruise sounds lovely( but not throwing up!)

Charleygirl Wed 06-Jan-16 16:42:21

I went on a cruise with a friend when I was in my mid 20's and was sea sick I think 13 out of the 14 days. Never ever again. We went to the Greek Islands as far as Beirut. The war had not yet started.

Pittcity Wed 06-Jan-16 17:05:29

I have only been on one cruise and loved it.
There were no tables for two left so we chose one for 8 so that we would not be stuck with just one boring couple. We were lucky and everyone was delightful. If you are not happy with your dining companions you are free to eat elsewhere as you only have a set table in the main restaurant and there are plenty of other choices on a big ship.
As for sea sickness I was ill in the Bay of Biscay on the return journey. The ship's medic gave me a jab which knocked me out and helped a lot. I would probably fly cruise next time to miss out the rough bit!

Stansgran Wed 06-Jan-16 17:08:28

I like small boat cruising. And I have to have a route which has more places I haven't visited than have. Have you thought of a river cruise?

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 17:15:43

The rough bit is the fun bit! It rocks me to sleep.
The only trouble is if I need the toilet in the night with boat going up and down. Can be tricky with my poor balance.

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 17:17:23

Then the Captain comes on and says 'if you're still in bed stay there for the next hour" He hasn't got a full bladder hmm

Ana Wed 06-Jan-16 17:23:12

Would a Shewee help, Galen?

Galen Wed 06-Jan-16 17:28:22

What a brilliant idea! Thanks!

PenJK50 Thu 07-Jan-16 09:50:06

We are going on our first cruise this summer and because I don't fancy a long flight we are going on the Baltic. On the advice of our friends we are going with Azamara on a smaller ship, although 700 people sounds enough to me! Hoping we will love it as my husband has always wanted to try one and it is to celebrate his 70th.

Venus Thu 07-Jan-16 09:50:28

Love cruising. On bigger ships you never see the same people twice. For a virgin cruiser, I would suggest you try a British ship. We have just returned from a Fred Olsen cruise which was the best ever! Although we were on a small ship, everyone was polite and friendly. We cruised round the Canary Islands, had lovely weather, food good, entertainment fine and dancing if you wanted to.

You see different places every day, changing scenery and you can always take a sea sickness pill if needed. You talk to whoever you want and you can meet some interesting passengers. The captain comes over the loud speaker at mid day and tells you about the weather ect, and always says at the end of his message, 'And all is well on the bridge!' That made me smile.

jeanblew Thu 07-Jan-16 09:58:36

I think you should try something like the Marco Polo (Cruise and Maritime) round Britain cruise. It is a smaller ship with very good food and entertainment. It was a 10 day cruise from Tilbury round the top of Scotland down to Ireland then the Scillies and France. We like walking and got off the ship everyday for 8 or 9 hours to do our own thing. We took a couple of pieces of fruit with us for lunch (the breakfast and dinner are so good that you don't need a big lunch too) There is usually only 1 or 2 formal nights but you can choose to eat elsewhere on board if you don't want to dress up and the food is equally as good. (for formal you don't actually have to don a long gown or anything as a smartish top and trousers will suffice) Otherwise it is informal dress. We also did the 14 night fjords trip on the Marco Polo which was amazing.

Cath9 Thu 07-Jan-16 10:06:30

As the first person mention, it all depends on what holiday you are looking for.
If it is for just lazing around with entertainment, one quick days visit to each port, then you will find cruising a wonderful experience.
But make sure you don't go on a ship that has a mass of accomodation.
My late husband and myself thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Queen Elizabeth, which had only taken three previous trips, so still very new and the food was simply delicious. We had three others on our table which we did not mind as some of the time two of them chose to go to a different bar and pay for their food. What I would adivise is get a room with a sea view.

sallyswin Thu 07-Jan-16 10:35:19

Friends chose a company which actually collected them from their door (Saga?) so no worries or extra expense getting to the ship. Seemed a good idea. Apparently some people had been collected from the Highlands and Islands. Ships aren't my thing however!

suebrocklehurst Thu 07-Jan-16 10:46:32

I think this sounds like a perfect idea for a first cruise!

HthrEdmndsn Thu 07-Jan-16 10:47:43

I would always recommend cruising.

Go for a mid sized ship, enough space to meet new people and avoid those you don't get on with. Never ever ask for a table for two. If you are travelling as a couple you will be together all day and night! Go for a large table, you will meet new people, many of whom will be only too happy to pass on hints and tips. If you plump for fixed dining, same table at the same time every evening you will have to have the ' how many cruises, which ships etc.' only once. If you really don't get on with the people have a quiet word with the head waiter (maitre'd) and ask to be moved. If you go for freedom dining where you turn up for dinner when you want you will probably be seated with new people every night and you will have the same boring conversation every night. Remember on the majority of cruise lines you only have fixed dining for the evening meal.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 07-Jan-16 10:50:10

If you use a shewee you, or the bed, will get wet!