Gransnet forums

Travel

Solo travel

(80 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Mon 14-Mar-16 05:56:35

After many years, I have booked two weeks holiday for later in the year, just before Christmas. Now starting to think I was a bit hasty, how will I fill my time if everyone is in couples? Can any solo travellers give me any tips on not just surviving two weeks on my own, but enjoying it. The weather should be fairly warm, but not hot. I had two weeks with a good friend last year, she met someone and I might as well not have been there, so that is when I made the decision to just go for it.

NathalieMartin Tue 21-Jun-16 15:28:47

Sounds amazing, I'm very envious! I'm sure you'll find plenty to fill your time, if not, I think a bit of exploration will keep things fresh. If there's others travelling alone, you may even make some new friends!

numberplease Tue 21-Jun-16 17:58:01

After our disastrous cruise in April, spoilt because hubby refused to go ashore anywhere, he says never again, but I WOULD like to go again, on my own if need be, but so far all the cruises that are within my price limit turn out not to be if you`re a solo traveller. Are there any cruises that don`t charge double for single folk? I`m talking a price range of not more than £600 for a week. I`m not a cheapskate, just can`t afford more, the April one cost us £399 each.

Luckylegs9 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:23:04

Cruises are so expensive, rang Saga earlier and when I told them my budget for a single traveller she said to look at double that figure. The lady that wants a cruise for £600, afraid there's no chance put a 1 in front of it and you might get a deal for a week.

numberplease Mon 27-Jun-16 18:44:26

Actually Luckylegs, I`ve found one, for £569, as long as I book by June 30th, but still haven`t found the courage to tell hubby that I want to toddle off on my own!