Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays with young grandchildren

(22 Posts)
daisybel1 Thu 31-Mar-16 06:07:10

Hi Any recommendations please for places to take grandsons (age 2 and 4) for short holiday in UK. We'd prefer to approx. 2 hours max drive of Hertfordshire for various reasons so are thinking maybe Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent. We'd also like a traditional seaside place. I'd love to hear suggestions please. Thanks

minimo Thu 31-Mar-16 07:48:37

Bournemouth is lovely daisybel1. Stunning beach and you could come back via the New Forest to see the horses which I imagine your little ones would love. It's a little over 2 hours though but not much. Have a lovely time wherever you go!

NanaandGrampy Thu 31-Mar-16 08:20:53

Its not seaside but we have taken our grandchildren ( aged 9,6,4,2) To Forest Holidays with great success in Norfolk. Its log cabins with hot tubs in a forest surrounding, lovely central lodge for food or coffees, dogs welcome. Lodges are fabulous, every mod con. Lots of forest walks available . Ours particularly like the ranger accompanied walks where they learn nature stuff .

They even do an evening one with night vision goggles which ours were very excited with.

They have a number of locations as well.

Auntieflo Thu 31-Mar-16 08:49:21

Last year we also had a Forest Lodge holiday in York. DS booked it, and it was great. Loads of room, big bedrooms, own bathrooms, large living room and kitchen. All very well equipped. Hot tub on deck, big success with 1year old GS. Badgers visiting around 9 pm for peanut butter treats. Mind you the weather was great which made a success of the whole experience.

hildajenniJ Thu 31-Mar-16 08:51:20

We've taken our DGC on several holidays to caravan parks. They love staying in a static caravan. We chose one with a good children's activity club. There are loads around the coasts of Britain. I prefer the small, independently run ones to the likes of Haven though.

joannapiano Thu 31-Mar-16 09:20:32

Our 4 grandchildren who live in Herts, love Southwold. Nice beach and pier.Plus, it's where Grandpa in my Pocket (CBeebies) is filmed.
They usually rent a cottage.

annodomini Thu 31-Mar-16 10:03:18

When my DC were young, we rented static caravans for several years until we took up camping with a big tent and later with our own caravan. We all enjoyed the variety of places we could visit, the beaches, rivers, mountains and lochs. They have both maintained the tradition with their own children.

bigbird1 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:10:36

Took my DGDs to Park Holidays in Felixstowe a few years ago in a static caravan.They loved it and we went back the following year. We had lovely days out to Southwold and Aldeburgh. It was a nice "simple holiday" and it was cheap as chips. Thoroughly reccommend.

Cybernan12 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:27:56

I bought a static caravan on the coast 40 minutes from where we live. DS and DiL take their 4 and 2,years old regularly. The joy on those little faces when we visit them at the van is worth every penny. And of course we use it often too,

helmacd Thu 31-Mar-16 11:22:25

I was a caravan virgin until I joined daughter and grandsons at a Haven holiday park. Caravans have all mod cons and park was very well arranged and quite peaceful. I even had my own loo and washbasin . Some of the entertainment offered is a bit tacky, but young children enjoy it - and the one we went to in North wales had an indoor pool and outside water play areas. Am going to one in Filey at the end of April - renting my own caravan whilst daughter, partner and children have theirs. (Best of both worlds!) They've been there before and recommend it. Tabloid newspapers run promotions for 'cheap holidays' at certain times of the year in Haven camps ( and maybe others - I don't know) of which there are dozens all over the country. That's how we booked the Filey one. It's very good value. I expect you can look up reviews of each one too.

Ps At the one in N Wales ( Its name escapes me - on coast near Snowdonia) we could walk from the caravans straight onto the beach.

sweetpea Thu 31-Mar-16 13:59:53

For the last few years we have had houses in Ramsgate, but this year are going next door to Broadstairs, brilliant beach, surf school for DGS, Punch and Judy (not very PC I know) and plenty to do. We live in Kent so only an hour away but it matters not where they go, all the GC (and their cousins) just love being together. We are all talking about it already, seems ages to August! smile

Shazmo24 Thu 31-Mar-16 14:30:52

Caravan holidays are great...Haven & Parkdene are good ones as they have kids clubs & family entertainment too in the evenings

inishowen Thu 31-Mar-16 14:42:19

I don't know the geography of where you live, as i live in Ireland. I just wanted to say, my son and his family went to CBeebies Land which is part of Alton Towers. They found the hotel was wonderful. They really catered for young children. The food was good for little ones and parents. My son says they will go back next year.

annodomini Thu 31-Mar-16 15:13:14

Forgot to say that we found Cornwall wonderful for children, with all kinds of beaches, rock pools for exploration and child-friendly restaurants. We also loved Dorset - not such a long journey to get there - also with good beaches and the boys became expert fossil hunters!

Cath9 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:01:56

I used to live in Kent in, what I would call the good old days, when there was not many around, except on holidays seasons.

Flor the beach, have you ever thought of Broadstairs, as you mentioned Kent? Where there is a small beach and where Charles Dickens once lived. From there you can take them to Marget, which has noqw opened, dear old Dreamland again. if it is an enjoyable as in the 50s and 60s, they should love it. Or go for a short walk along the sea wall from Reculver to Birchington.
Where I believe they would love more is to go to one of the Centre Parks, perhaps in Sherwood Forest. Therre they can join in with other kids while yourselves can be in a restful place.

grandma60 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:07:05

Weymouth is lovely for small children. Lovely safe sandy beach and traditional things like donkey rides and swing boats. Also a Sea life Centre.

BRedhead59 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:14:37

Agree Southwold lovely
Hire a cottage nearby and then you can relax

numberplease Thu 31-Mar-16 22:10:43

Wells-next-the-Sea is nice, and there`s a caravan park down near the beach.

merlotgran Thu 31-Mar-16 22:15:24

Haven Holidays at Warmwell in Dorset was a favourite when our DGCs were small. A choice of lodges or static caravans, plenty to do on site and only a short drive to the coast. Lots of nearby family friendly pub/restaurants to choose from as well.

daisybel1 Sat 02-Apr-16 18:14:07

Thank you for all your lovely suggestions - busy looking at tourist information from Southward and New Forest now.

Penstemmon Sat 02-Apr-16 19:14:13

www.hoseasons.co.uk/holiday-parks/salterns-village-salv

We had a lovely time here with our 4 DGCs aged 2-9 yrs Easter 2015

Iam64 Sat 02-Apr-16 19:32:48

Norfolk is a brilliant county for holidays with small children (or with older relatives and dogs for that matter). The beaches are glorious, and clearly marked as either dog or not dog friendly. Loads of great child friendly cafe's, farms etc and a good mix of traditional sea side enjoyment and quieter places.