Gransnet forums

Travel

Short breaks that don't break the bank

(12 Posts)
cmcpne Sun 10-Apr-16 13:48:49

We are looking to take a couple of short breaks in this country just the two of us & one well behaved dog. The trouble is finding somewhere that will let us stay three or four nights starting on a Wednesday or Thursday that don't cost a fortune.
Initially looked at the lakes which we love & then thought Northumberland might be a cheaper option but no luck so far.
If anyone out there done anything similar please let me know...

NanKate Sun 10-Apr-16 13:56:44

Some caravan parks offer short stay hols out of season. Find an area you like and Google caravan park.

Another alternative, we love is to stay on a farm with Farmstay UK. Had some fab short breaks.

Also Universities hire out their accommodation during the summer hols at a reasonable rate.

Best of luck.

tiggypiro Sun 10-Apr-16 14:37:17

Have you tried Groupon ? My sister and I are going to a 4* hotel, 2 nights B&B, afternoon tea on the first afternoon and dinner on the 2nd night for the princely sum of £129 for the two of us. Just log in to Groupon to see what deals there are.

whitewave Sun 10-Apr-16 14:39:50

Zoo travel is another. We took our dog recently over Easter. Had a splendid couple of days

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Apr-16 19:35:06

We stayed near St Andrews with our dog in a self catering cottage through Owners Direct. Excellent standard of accommodation.

glassortwo Sun 10-Apr-16 19:52:31

www.myhotelbreak.com/ have some good offers.
Just search hotels in Warkworth or anywhere in Northumberland and you can get a great deal,

hildajenniJ Sun 10-Apr-16 20:11:21

Have a look at these cottages. One might fit the bill.

Eloethan Mon 11-Apr-16 01:37:07

Travelodges allow you to take a dog. They are not usually in very scenic locations and are often near main roads but they are fairly reasonable mid-week (I think around £50-60 per room per night plus £10 per night for dog).

We went to Glastonbury last weekend and stayed in a Travelodge there with our dog. I think it cost £140 for Friday and Saturday night (weekends cost more). It was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Traffic noise if the window was opened. Not a very glamorous setting but handy. No breakfast though so you have to add the cost of going to a cafe for breakfast.

Barmyoldbat Mon 11-Apr-16 11:04:11

Yes agree Travel Lodge we have had some good breaks using them, last one was at Llandudno. It was right in the centre of town, clean and comfortable but no breakfast. However, there was a Wetherspoons nearby for cheap breakfast.

cmcpne Thu 14-Apr-16 12:07:57

Lots of good advice.... Thanks everyone.

Newquay Fri 15-Apr-16 08:16:31

Out of the blue I received an email advertising a walking 5 day holiday in Eastbourne being joined by Julia Bradbury. It was as if she had sent me the email. I wonder where they got my address from? Thought it sounded good. . . Then I saw the cost! £750 for 5 days! Yikes! ?

TriciaF Fri 15-Apr-16 11:24:47

I looked at your link, hildajenni and most seem to have Saturday changeover which wouldn't suit the original poster. We had the same problem once trying to book midweek in France.
Connected to this, I was looking into booking a gite here for family in August and they're VERY expensive (by my standards anyway. ) Over 1000€ per week.
So it means tents in our garden!