Gransnet forums

Travel

Review: Ragdale Hall Health Hydro and Thermal Spa, Leicestershire

(7 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Apr-16 14:27:52

I was excited to be offered an overnight stay at Ragdale Hall Health Hydro and Thermal Spa, located in Leicestershire, with a 50 minute Blissful Face & Back Therapy included.

When my husband and I arrived, we drove straight into the main car park, unloaded and walked to reception - we later found out we could have had our car parked for us! Our luggage was taken and sent straight to our room, while we were given a tour around the building. Ragdale Hall is an impressive building and it would be easy to get lost if it were not for the well signposted rooms and maps darted around the place.

We stayed in the Superior room, which was easily accessible from the main building. The room had an ensuite, a balcony, TV, tea making facilities and a hair dryer. It was spacious and included a breakfast table and comfy chairs. The views from the Superior rooms vary - some overlook the grounds and the Leicestershire countryside - and while we could see the grounds from our balcony, it was also overlooking the road to the main entrance below.

After settling into our room, we went our separate ways: DH went off to the gym and I took part in the Stretch to Relax class - which was very much like yoga. The class was very popular, but the room was big enough to accommodate all. The instructor was clear when giving instructions and put us all at ease, offering alternative positions if any were particularly difficult. DH reported back about the gym to say it had a range of equipment and the staff were helpful and able to advise what equipment was best for stretching certain muscles. There was a stunning view outside and there were three/four TVs on with different programmes and music channels to suit all.

After exercising, we headed for dinner. The dining room had a very relaxed atmosphere and there wasn't a rule about what people wore - some had robes on, some decided to doll up a bit more - we went in our gym clothes. The service was excellent - after being promptly seated and given our menus, our order was taken and our appetisers followed by our starters arrived in quick succession. I ordered the lamb for my main and DH ordered the fish; both were very tasty and presented nicely, however the portions were quite small and after eating three courses and the appetiser, I was still hungry! Perhaps if I was trying to be healthy and embraced the detox, the light dinner would have been more welcome.

After hunting down a croissant at the Garden Room bar, we we went straight for the pool donning our complimentary gowns. Ragdale Hall boasts of five pools and 11 heated facilities, as well as offering treatments, exercise classes, relaxation rooms, tennis courts and acres of land to roam. It was lovely and tranquil in the evening as the pools were quiet and it allowed us to relax and unwind before bed.

The following day we had our breakfast delivered to our room - a range of cereals, yoghurts and pastries, as well as a hot and cold drink. We then headed down to the treatment rooms, ready for our Blissful Face & Back Therapy. I found the 50 minute treatment relaxing and such a luxury. The therapist asked if I had particular aches and pains I'd like her to focus on, and recommended creams and ointments that would help. At the end I walked away feeling refreshed.

DH and I met up after our treatments and headed down to the Thermal Spa once again. We tried out all the heated facilities and pools and made sure we revisited our favourite; the Indoor/Outdoor Waterfall Pool that was heated to 35°C, which meant you stayed completely warm while also breathing in the fresh outdoor air. My other favourites include the Volcanic Salt Bath (an intense and 100% humid experience with a eucalyptus spritz to help improve breathing), the Scented Room (fresh aromatic herbs and a gentle hue of colours to help invigorate senses) and the Candle Pool (an entrancing, mosaic cavern with lapping water lit by the flicker of candles and a star-lit ceiling. The water was heated to a constant 34ºc - bliss!)

DH especially enjoyed the Rose Sauna and swimming in the 25 metre pool, as although the building was fully occupied (you can tell by the amount of cars parked in the car park), it always seemed relatively quiet. We were both able to swim a few lengths with ease, without having to dodge other swimmers. We weren't quite brave enough for the Cave Shower; a cave lit by stars that recreates the sensation of being caught in a thunder storm in paradise, with thunder and lightening effects included!

For lunch we were a bit braver and arrived to the dining hall in our gowns. We had a buffet - a large range of salads, a variety of hot mains and a selection of desserts. We tried a little bit of each and it was all delicious! Had we arrived for lunch the previous day, the dinner would have been the right amount.

During our stay, we spoke to another guest who said she has visited once a year for the past five years - however this year she couldn't help herself and it's been her forth visit so far! Each time she stays for three nights - and I would agree, to fully relax, unwind and make full use of the facilities, you'd need to stay for at least a couple of nights. Although on the surface it seems pricey, with the vast range of facilities and activities going on, as well as all meals included, it's definitely worth the spend.

Overall we had a fantastic stay at Ragdale Hall. The facilities were amazing and all the members of staff we encountered during our stay were helpful, polite and went the extra mile to have a chat. It really is deserving of all the awards it has received and is definitely one of the best spas in the UK - well worth the 2.5 hour drive from Kent.

A two-night Taster Break at Ragdale Hall is priced from £325 per person and includes all meals and full use of the facilities, and a 50-muniute Blissful face and Back Therapy or two 25-minute treatments choosing from Soothing Back Massage, Soft Touch Body Stretch or Soft Hands Treatment. You can make a booking on their website or call 01664 434831.

Teetime Thu 14-Apr-16 14:33:49

I live near there but have never been.

Teetime Thu 14-Apr-16 14:34:18

oh I should have mentioned it is of course listed on the Gransnet Leicestershire site!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Apr-16 14:41:30

Oh yes, I'll c&p my review onto there too - thanks!

Luckylegs9 Sat 16-Apr-16 07:36:55

I would love a job reviewing holiday destinations!

kittylester Sat 16-Apr-16 08:50:14

You could have said Kat! There is a really nice tearoom fairly close where they serve ginormous portions of cake - Teetime and I could have met you there - in the interests of stopping you from starving obviously! grin

Auntieflo Sat 16-Apr-16 09:00:04

Went there aeons ago. My friend belonged to a slimming group? and in their magazine was a reduced price offer for a couple of days. Loved it, and would go back. I think it has been updated and changed vastly since we were there.