Gransnet forums

Travel

Thomas Cook -Check your seat reservations

(6 Posts)
Jayh Sat 23-Apr-16 21:47:13

A heads up for anyone who is flying soon with Thomas Cook airlines. As a family we booked seats to Florida over a year ago. We paid extra to reserve the seats we wanted to keep the family together and for extra leg room. We fly a week today but when my DIL checked yesterday she found that TC had changed our seats and that now the family is separated and there is no extra leg room. In other words, we are getting nothing that we paid for. My Son and DIL spent in total over seven hours trying to speak to someone at the call centre. They were told that nothing could be done as it was a failure in the system. I have been reading other reviews and it seems that the Thomas Cook booking system is presently a shambles. We are so looking forward to this family holiday but at the moment we are all seething. A very poor show, Thomas Cook.

sunseeker Sun 24-Apr-16 08:55:45

I have avoided booking anything with Thomas Cook since trying to book a single room at a certain hotel. I know the hotel and asked for a sea view room (the other side of the hotel faces onto a busy road). I was willing to pay the supplement for a sea view single room. Thomas Cook said this wasn't possible because the hotel had a policy of not having singles in sea view rooms. I went onto the hotel website and booked a single sea view room with no problem and when I factored in the cost of flights and transfers the holiday was cheaper!

Jayh Sun 24-Apr-16 16:08:52

I wonder if Thomas Cook is on its way out. Customer service is often the first thing to go.

elisagrace Mon 25-Apr-16 11:41:19

Hi Jayh,

Some times we have to bear with circumstances. Six months back we planned for summer vacations at Switzerland. We also passed through the same situation in which your were. But I immediately called Thomas Cook Customer care team here qwikfix.co.uk/thomas-cook-contact/and apprised them all the situation. They connected my phone to the dealing department and they hear me with patience. And told me that my problem will be solved. And with in 2 hours I received call intimating me that my they have booked the seats together.

Thingmajig Mon 25-Apr-16 12:43:30

We didn't pay to book seats together on a long haul flight a couple of years ago and were seated separately, albeit across the aisle from each other. Weirdly we found that nearly everyone around us was in the same situation, some being at opposite end of the plane!
We decided that this was our punishment for not forking out extra for seats together ... a bit of organisation would have us all seated together with our travel-mates surely. It'll all be done on computers anyway.
Since then we have paid out, but I will be furious if we end up seated separately despite that!!! angry

Another gripe I have is having no choice of in-flight meal, so it's take it or leave it ... can't remember if it's Thomson or Thomas Cook who have removed a choice. Always something spicy of course, not something like an all-day breakfast that would probably suit everyone. confused

Jayh Mon 25-Apr-16 17:17:29

You were lucky Elisagrace, to get through quickly. My son and daughter in law also phoned immediately but were kept on hold for hours over two days before they managed to speak to anyone. They were told that the airline reserve the right to change seats so why charge us to book in advance? The system of allotting seats at checkout made more sense but then it does not generate an income for the airline.