Gransnet forums

Travel

Pitfalls of booking my own flights

(31 Posts)
Grannaby Tue 03-May-16 13:11:26

We used Flight Centre for our big trip to New Zealand via Sidney a few years ago. They certainly took all the hassle out of it. BUT I made a big mistake. Before she made the final booking she showed us a print out of our itinerary which was quite complicated. I went carefully through it all to make sure it was correct and all was fine. I did notice at the time that she had spelt my first name wrong - it's a common mistake and I felt it was petty to correct her. Big whoops. I had forgotten that names have to be written exactly as the name on your passport. We were then in a bit of a dilemma: should we contact the airline and get them to change the ticket at a silly sum or hope no one at the airports would notice. They probably wouldn't have, but we played safe in the end. Flight centre did pay a little towards the cost I seem to remember as she hadn't drawn my attention to that part of the document. So always check every little detail when someone else is doing it on your behalf.

But that said - how exciting for you, have a great trip. envy

Jalima Tue 03-May-16 12:42:16

I have booked our flights online many times.
However, I must admit to a degree of nervousness and check and double check before I press 'pay' and make DH go through it with me before I commit.
So I think if you are concerned about it, Howjado, you'd be best going to a travel agent - they should be able to get you a good deal too.

Have a good trip!

obieone Tue 03-May-16 12:30:05

If I remember correctly, flying from one side of Canada to the other is not wildly expensive, as it is internal.

And flights to Canada seem to be coming down in price generally. More airlines are flying there.

The exchange rate between here and Canada has altered a lot too. Though I have no idea which way that works in regards to prices.

Grannyknot Tue 03-May-16 12:19:57

Was not war!

Grannyknot Tue 03-May-16 12:19:13

As far as I know travel agent fees are paid by the airlines and other travel operators so their service is free to the end user (you).

I made an error booking flights once because I had looked at so many that I war cross-eyed. I'd go to a travel agent if I were you. I think one of the few left on the high street is Flight Centre.

Enjoy your holiday smile

Howjado Tue 03-May-16 10:17:25

I have a big birthday this year and am thinking of visiting my sister in Britsh Colombia. I am looking at flights on the internet but wary of pitfalls. For instance, if I book one leg of the journey with one airline but the connecting flight is with another airline, I suppose I might have to change terminals? Also some of these flights seem very cheap. £174 to fly from one side of Canada to the other. What am I missing? Do travel agents charge a lot to book these flights, does anybody know?