Gransnet forums

Travel

Repositioning cruises

(11 Posts)
numberplease Wed 21-Sep-16 01:17:55

Luckylegs9, did you ever go?

Luckylegs9 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:17:24

I cannot believe the cost of insurance, it might prevent me going. Where do you get yours Redamanthus? It is bad enough the huge single supplement. I might have to rethink.

redamanthas Sun 26-Jun-16 10:10:41

Read this with interest. I'm going on a repositioning cruise end of October. Sail to Caribbean fly home from Barbados. I too am travelling solo. There is usually a meeting each day for the first couple of days for solo travellers so you may meet another like minded person to share some activities with. And generally everyone is friendly and helpful. It is my first time holidaying solo and though a little apprehensive I'm really looking forward to it. Go for it is my advice. smile

YankeeGran Sat 25-Jun-16 07:42:55

Yes - just a normal cruise that "repositions" the ship in a new port for a new season of cruising in a different area. You would have to fly home from the final destination. What's on offer will depend on the size of the ship and the facilities aboard, but most cruise ships have a programme of activities that can keep you busy all day and on into the night.
I have never cruised alone but my impression of single cruisers is that they have to be pretty happy in their own company. The various activities would give you an informal way of meeting people though many passengers are couples and/or travel in groups. People are friendly and you can always find dinner companions, but as a single traveler, you need to be pro-active to find the company you want.

tanith Sat 25-Jun-16 03:38:15

numberplease they are one way cruises so you fly back. They can be much cheaper, if you just google it most of the cruise companies offer them some with flights included in the package.

numberplease Fri 24-Jun-16 23:52:06

Then how do you get back home when the ship reaches it`s new port?

tanith Fri 24-Jun-16 19:01:41

I thought this was when a cruise ship has to travel to a new port for a cruise about to start, so no cruise passengers but you can pay to be aboard.

suzied Fri 24-Jun-16 18:46:48

Ooh do you live on the boat the whole year round?

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 18:37:01

That would be my understanding. I'll be interested to see if we're right smile

Stansgran Fri 24-Jun-16 18:31:01

What is a repositioning cruise? Do you mean one which spends winter in the Caribbean and then summer in the Med? Where cod you fly to? And are they cheap? Just being nosy?

Luckylegs9 Fri 24-Jun-16 15:37:38

I am considering a repositioning cruise which obviously involves quite a few days at sea, the thing is as a single passenger am I likely to find lots do do, would be grateful to have any tips from any of you that might have done one.