Gransnet forums

Travel

Staycation anyone?

(91 Posts)
suzied Sat 23-Jul-16 11:50:40

With exchange rates, fears over security, general gloominess, hotter weather, it is reported that the British travel industry is hoping for an upturn as more people shun travelling abroad and are holidaying in the UK. I had 2 lovely weeks in Western Scotland and the islands earlier in the year and we were blessed with good weather(unusual), but I can't imagine people who may like a hotel on the Costas would have enjoyed the solitude, lack of restaurants, high prices in the Outer Hebrides. We are going to a wedding in France later in the month, but we are just going there and back and not extending our stay as we may have done . My OH now insists on going to the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales, when in the past we may have headed off to sunnier climes. Anyone else find they are holidaying at home when they would have been thinking of further afield? What do you do when it is cold/ wet? Is it any cheaper?

gettingonabit Sat 23-Jul-16 12:32:22

Yes, I always holiday here, because I'm confined to the school holidays.

I like quiet places like North Wales. I don't mind cold/wet; I'm used to it, being Welshgrin.

I don't like sitting around in the sun any more.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Jul-16 13:00:45

I hosted my reading group this week and it was interesting that of the nine of us, eight have booked their main holidays in the UK this year. Dorset, Wales, Cornwall, Devon, Derbyshire. I'm doing the Inca Trail grin But we'll have had a few UK short breaks before the year is out.

ninathenana Sat 23-Jul-16 13:05:44

We last went abroad about in January 2014 but that was a coach tour to Switzerland.
We went to Germany when D was married to a squaddie and living there but we don't fly of to the sun. We are quiet happy to have 2-3 long weekends in UK. I'm not sure which works out cheaper.

Gagagran Sat 23-Jul-16 13:06:06

My wanderlust has gradually wandered off for longer and longer periods and it is now a long time since it re-appeared.I have decided that I like my own bed and my own home and have no urge to visit anywhere given all the scary things going on in the world.

I hate the cattle market treatment at airports and all the security restrictions imposed. I am not keen on traffic-jammed motorways and the trains in our area are now officially the worst in the country (Southern Railways). So, as we live in a beautiful coastal region with the South Downs just to our north, there is no reason to subject myself to the trauma of travel. I am very happy to have a staycation!

KatyK Sat 23-Jul-16 15:18:30

We've just come back from Madeira. DH, who loves his foreign holidays usually, says he's never going abroad again. He said he's sick of airports, queues, security (a necessary evil I know), waiting for transfers, lying around on beaches and eating and drinking too much and there was a slightly troublesome passenger on the flight back which gave everyone the heebie-jeebies! Suits me. I love the UK.

Lillie Sat 23-Jul-16 16:26:44

Hmmm, not sure. We spent 7 hot hours in the car yesterday getting from London to Cornwall. Our holiday next month to the South of France will be 3 hours door to door by plane.
Our Cornwall cottage is slighty more expensive than the cost of the appartment near Nice, our eating out will probably be about the same.
Security could be an issue for some but we use the tube everyday so I guess for us airports are no problem.

ninathenana Sat 23-Jul-16 16:32:05

7hrs London to Cornwall shock that's no fun. We've done Kent to Cornwall in 5 ish.
Don't know what's worse, that, or the 13 hr delay my friend had at an airport last month.

nanaK54 Sat 23-Jul-16 16:50:22

Isle of Wight for me this year and I'm really looking forward to it

EllenT Sat 23-Jul-16 17:53:51

Thinking of abandoning our booked and paid for 10 days in August in Freiburg, Germany because of the length of the train journey from Scotland (we hate flying), concerns over security related delays, and security itself in Paris (overnight stay) and Germany. It seemed a good idea at the time, as the 'interesting' holiday contrast to a low key couple of weeks in the Yorkshire Dales, where we are just now. Trouble is ithat it's very relaxing here and the motivation and energy required for the German adventure is rather lacking. Anyone undertaken a long continental train journey recently?

Lillie Sat 23-Jul-16 19:36:25

Thinking about it a bit more, the best thing about a staycation is taking my dog with me!

granjura Sat 23-Jul-16 19:44:48

Oh EllenT- what a shame. We often do the Switzerland to Midlands train journey and we just love it. Soooo relaxing and not tiring at all- much much nicer than plane. Freiburg is a small town and really not a big security risk as the larger towns- and with lovely countryside.

Hope you do go and enjoy it flowers

Gagagran- the train would be a great alternative for you. Eurostar to Paris, Lille and then TGV to a great location in France or Switzerland. It's so relaxing and easy off peak.

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Jul-16 21:53:03

DD2 always goes by Eurostar. She books really, really early and gets amazing deals. Norwich to London, overnight stay plus a visit to a museum or two then on to Paris.

Flying from Norfolk is great if you're independent. Norwich - Schiphol - The World. But package deals all go from the major airports which is a big turn off for us as it's so difficult to get to them.

We had a family gathering at Sandy Balls variously in tent, pods and caravan May Bank holiday last year. It took nearly ten hours to get from north Norfolk to Hampshire! School holidays are the biggest disadvantage to staycations.

granjura Sat 23-Jul-16 22:01:09

Purchasing tickets from France, the key nuber is 90 = tickets become available 90 days in advance. Just like low cost airlines, tickets are very cheap then and increase steadily as time gets closer.

We pay around 100Euros return - and no hassle to get to airport, bus to the station, and no extortionate car parking during our stay.

Greyduster Sat 23-Jul-16 22:18:55

We are off to West Wales in three weeks time. We don't usually go away in the school holidays because of the cost and the crowds, but it is a special family holiday this year. We booked the property we're staying in a year in advance to be sure of getting the dates we wanted. We haven't been abroad for some years; DH hates airports. He likes to be able to throw everything in the car and take off. I'm happy to holiday in this country and the weather doesn't usually phase us.

NanKate Sat 23-Jul-16 23:32:46

Have just spent a week in the New Forest. We had wall to wall sunshine. We have visited this area (Lymington, Beaulieu, Christchurch) many times and I can count on my fingers the number of rainy days we have had. Early to mid July seems to work for us.

We were sitting outside at 10.00 pm watching an open air show and it was about 20 degrees.

hildajenniJ Sat 23-Jul-16 23:45:48

It's years since we've been abroad. My DH and I have become fans of coach tours. Shock, horror, I never thought it would happen to us! Last year we went to the Malverns, it was lovely, and part of the country that we hadn't visited. This year we spent our holiday in London and went to the Chelsea Flower Show while we were there. I had never been in the Natural History Museum so we spent a very interesting day there. Our beautiful Islands have so much to offer, why go anywhere else?

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Jul-16 00:43:41

For Northerners, local flights are so much more convenient than Eurostar. We can be in central Paris from Leeds in less time than it takes to get down to London, for around £65 return. And I find local airports hassle free compared to the big ones.

But we are also partial to coach tours, hildajenniJ, both home and away - it's far less stressful to let someone else do the driving!

Humbertbear Sun 24-Jul-16 08:55:41

We are off to a cottage in Somerset. I love to travel far and wide but my DH can no longer get travel insurance. (No advice please we've been down every avenue). I go abroad with friends or with my daughter. As everyone always says, this is a beautiful country and there is lots to see and do. However there are two problems. Firstly, holidaying in this country can be expensive ( hotels, meals, admission fees) and secondly the weather. Last year I never took my cardigan off.
However we always make the best of it and use our NT and EH membership to the full.

Freeflyer Sun 24-Jul-16 09:07:06

We both love France, Spain and Italy and always go over for at least a week (one month in 2013 when we cycled the Camino de Santiago). We had actually booked a month in France in August/September this year. We would have taken our bikes over and ridden from the ferry port right down to the north of Spain. We were looking forward to it and very excited. But, after me nagging my husband to get our Euros before the referendum, he was so sure we'd all vote to stay in, that we left it. The bottom quite literally fell out of our world when we woke up on 24th June. We were actually on our way to France on our bikes for a long weekend - which we enjoyed - but as soon as we returned we realized that going over for a month would now be so much more expensive than before, so we had to cancel. We lost money on the train fare down to the ferry port, the ferry itself and the Bike-bus which we had booked to bring us home after the trip. We had meant to use this trip by way of celebrating our 50th anniversary. Now we will be taking two weeks in the New Forest on our bikes instead. The upside is that we can stay at our son's home near Southampton as he and his family jet off to Lanzarote (something they booked and paid for months ago).

Greyduster Sun 24-Jul-16 09:26:34

We've had two coach tours and enjoyed them both. One was to Austria, and the other was to Ireland. As you say, maggiemaybe let someone else do the driving - what's not to like?

Willow500 Sun 24-Jul-16 09:40:06

My husband flew off to NZ on Friday morning for 2 weeks holiday with our son and family - he finally arrived at midnight last night. It was a last minute decision so impossible for me to go due to work and the pets. My holiday will just be 3 days at Leeds Festival next month.

anne53 Sun 24-Jul-16 09:40:29

So far this year we've been to Yorkshire, Wales, Berkshire and Southern Scotland and are heading for Scottish highlands in September(hopefully midges are gone by then!). Had great holidays and some good weather. Also spent 4 days in Rome though. Weather was hotter in Wales than in had been in Rome 2 weeks earlier! Had a great time doing the little trains in Wales with a backpack. We did stay in hotels though!

Mrsdof Sun 24-Jul-16 09:58:37

There is no way on earth I would give up my sunshine holidays abroad! We are off to Rhodes for 2 weeks in September and have also just had a 5 day coach break in Northumberland, which is beautiful area of the UK. Staycations can be pretty expensive, especially if the weather is bad. With regard to security/terrorism abroad if your times up it's up! At least I'll go doing something I love grin and after all you could get knocked over by a bus tomorrow. Life's too short to worry too much about things, the worry will kill you first.

inishowen Sun 24-Jul-16 10:04:06

Staycations must be good for our economy. I live in Northern Ireland and within three hours we can be on the Southern coast of Ireland. Recently we've had two trips to Waterford. I can highly recommend it. I feel uneasy at the thought of my family going to Tenerife at Christmas. I just want to keep them all safe at home!