Gransnet forums

Travel

Kind people everywhere.

(49 Posts)
henetha Sun 24-Jul-16 12:18:11

I recently travelled from my home in Devon to Germany. This involved various journeys by bus, taxi, National Express, flights from Heathrow to Frankfurt and back, etc.
Everywhere I went I was struck by how kind people are.
Maybe I am getting to look particularly old and feeble, but not once did I have to haul my suitcase anywhere, put it in the overhead lockers etc, struggle with my case on escalators, find out where I was meant to be going, etc.
I had so many offers of help that it was heart warming.
In view of all the scary things on the news lately it served to remind me that evil people are still very much in the minority and the world is still full of the kindness of strangers. There is hope for humanity I think.
Do you agree?

Liz46 Sun 24-Jul-16 12:29:17

Yes. I travelled to Paris by myself. A young girl at the airport must have thought I looked safe and joined me. She had trouble with something and I helped her. When we arrived in Paris there was a bit of a problem and I couldn't understand the announcement. I looked round and there she was. It was her turn to look after me.

obieone Sun 24-Jul-16 12:29:27

Absolutely! Good post.

Maybe I am "lucky" like you are, but I dont have much trouble with people, out and about, either.

Christinefrance Sun 24-Jul-16 12:39:46

We moved to a small village in France, my husband had to go into hospital almost immediately. Two local ladies came round to see me and asked if I needed any help or needed a lift to the hospital. We are the only English people in our village and have met with nothing but kindness and inclusion in social life.
Gives me hope for the future in a small way.

KatyK Sun 24-Jul-16 15:04:37

When I was in town the other day, a lady had what looked like a bad fall. She was bleeding quite badly from the back of her head. Paramedics were there tending to her. It was a very hot day and a young man who was passing by held an umbrella over the lady's face so that she wouldn't get sunburnt while she was being helped. I see many kind deeds whilst out and about and I try to help others if I can too.

Lillie Sun 24-Jul-16 16:05:38

I agree, kind people do help in public places. Someone fainted in our tube carriage a few weeks ago and two off duty doctors jumped to help while a member of the public tried to clear the other passengers further down the train.
I nearly tripped once on the escalator and a nice young gentleman stopped to ask if I were ok.

Charleygirl Sun 24-Jul-16 16:16:49

One of my neighbours rang the other day asking if I was okay as he had not seen me around. I had stayed indoors deliberately because the heat would have been too much for me. A good excuse to do next to nothing!

I am so lucky- with one exception I could go to any house or flat for assistance- not bad out of 17 other residences. I would also help any of them if I could.

Jane10 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:03:54

This is the sort of everyday kindness and consideration that goes on all the time. We only ever seem to hear bad news and negatives generally. This is a really good post to remind us of the 'kindness of strangers'!

ginny Sun 24-Jul-16 19:58:13

You are right Jane10. Small acts of kindness happen frequently. Of course these things are not shouted about because they are performed by ordinary, decent people who wouldn't think it out of ordinary.

Eloethan Sun 24-Jul-16 20:12:00

What a nice, positive post henetha. I agree with you. In one of the free daily papers - I think it's the Metro - there is a quarter of a page every day devoted to people thanking strangers for helping them when, in the course of a journey they have an accident, fall ill, need help lifting things, lose their money, get lost, etc., etc. etc. We hear so much about the bad that people can do that we can sometimes forget that the majority of people are decent and helpful.

Newquay Mon 25-Jul-16 13:48:28

Yes it's v heart warming, if only some of these items could be included in national/local news. I fear the news people only want bad news it seems. . . . .

madamecholet Mon 25-Jul-16 19:52:25

Apologies in advance for the long post, but it involves the kindness of several people.

We were in Manchester last year – a city that we don’t know well - and started out to walk with our suitcases from our hotel to the nearest metrolink stop. Because of major construction works, we couldn’t work out which way to go and were looking at our city map when a very kind man stopped, sympathised with us about all the construction work and told us the best route to take. Half-way there, we paused to look at the map again and a lady came up, asked if we needed any help and walked part of the way to the tram stop with us.

Once on the tram, we were discussing which stop we needed to change trams for the airport, when the man in the seat in front turned round and explained we actually needed to get off at a different stop. Another couple of passengers joined in, agreeing with him, and we all had a lovely chat. We got on our next tram and the carriage was full, but a couple with teenage children all got up and insisted we took their seats, despite our protestations that we were happy to stand.

We live in a small community where it is usual for people to help each other, but we didn’t expect to experience such kindness from complete strangers in a large city. You really are a lovely lot in Manchester!smile

madamecholet Mon 25-Jul-16 20:06:13

I hasten to add, I know there are lovely people in every city, but we were quite overwhelmed by so much kindness in the space of about half an hour.

petra Thu 28-Jul-16 12:47:07

I'm going to put in a good word here for my oh. Every Friday night he meets up with friends at a pub. When he leaves he buys fish&chips for 4 homeless people that he talks to. He would do anything for anyone.

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 17:37:50

That's lovey petra My DH once donated his bone marrow to a total stranger smile

trisher Fri 29-Jul-16 18:02:07

When I had a fall on holiday in Tunisia a young French woman rushed up and looked after me. Her first aid was excellent and she instructed the staff sending them for ice and advising them to give me coke to drink for the shock. I was so grateful, she only spoke a little English and left the hotel the day after my accident I wish I could have done more than just say "Thank you".

TriciaF Fri 29-Jul-16 18:34:19

trisher I've noticed that about the French. They have been very caring to me when I've had a fall etc. Rushing up, arranging help, somewhere to sit , a drink of water etc.

Jane10 Fri 29-Jul-16 18:38:48

So nice to hear these stories.

busylizzy Mon 08-Aug-16 14:12:52

I believe it's the law in France to carry a first aid kit in your car and illegal to pass an RTE without stopping to offer assistance ( I assume it's ok if the emergency services are there, or if it's unsafe to stop). I guess these things are important to them.

Kitspurr Sat 20-Aug-16 21:50:38

During my first visit to Manhattan, I was pleasantly surprised at how kind people were. People asking me if I was lost and could they help, people wanting to chat about my accent and where I'm from. I suppose because of its reputation, I wasn't expecting kindness. My mum lives in London and often tells me of people's kindness towards her. So, good & kind people can be found everywhere in the world.

Humbertbear Sun 21-Aug-16 11:05:04

My DH was taken seriously ill in Montana of all places. The hospital volunteer attached to the ICU found me a motel and drove me there, later in the week she collected my daughter from the airport and the hospital almoner lent us a laptop so my daughter could keep in touch with her office. I lived in a motel room for 4 weeks and the local synagogue lent me plates, cutlery, tea towels, chopping board and glasses. It was hard to k ow how to repay so much kindness but we sent the ICU two CD players as we had benefitted from the only one they had.

JackyB Sun 21-Aug-16 11:22:44

I would like to thank the people of Bury St Edmunds who rushed to help once when I was there with my mother. She has a slight blind spot in the corner of her vision and missed the curb and fell in the gutter.

At once, about half a dozen people came over to us - someone popped into a nearby Boots and brought some tissues to wipe her forehead with (she had cut herself), a girl came out of the hairdresser's with a beaker of water, which was also useful for dipping the tissues in it to dab on her face and forehead. Some young men helped her on to a nearby bench and a policeman on a bike was there in no time.

I haven't been to Bury much as an adult, having left home before I had any driving practice, so I didn't know my way around by car very well, but the policeman gave me very clear instructions on how to get to the hospital for A & E.

All wonderful people.

She was fine, by the way, no broken bones or any kind of upset. I think I was more shocked than she was. I felt awful and cross with myself that I wasn't walking on the outside, and I couldn't catch her although I grabbed for her as she fell.

henetha Sun 21-Aug-16 11:23:54

I completely forgot I had posted this, but noticed the replies today. Thank you, all of you who agree that the kindness of strangers is still very much alive and well.
It does my old heart good.. smile

Swanny Sun 21-Aug-16 11:34:45

henetha what a lovely OP and how nice to see so many responding with their own accounts of kindness and help received. Like others have said, we hear so many reports of maliciousness that it's good to be reminded of the unsolicited help often shown by strangers. flowers flowers to them all smile

radicalnan Sun 21-Aug-16 13:05:35

Had me in tears.........

I loathe the way, that people who do an ordinary acts of kindness, are now hunted down on FB, so that they can be thanked by someone. Kindness is its own reward and the more we give, the more we get

It is not unusual or remarkable, doesn't make it any less wonderful but there is plenty of it out there, and we can all do it, every day, any weather. Lucky us.