Gransnet forums

Travel

South Wales

(21 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 14-Sep-16 21:25:49

I was so lucky , an Aunt and Uncle lived in a house in Rhossili looking over the bay and worms head, I was able to stay at anytime , recuperated there for several months and was not a happy child when it was arrange for a teacher to give me lessons. Also took my daughters there for lots of holidays . Useless piece of information for Gower lovers - there is only one tree which grew in Rhossili, near the church, it grew along the ground, no idea if it's still there , my relatives died about ten years sgo.

tanith Wed 14-Sep-16 21:12:03

I spent my first honeymoon many many years ago on the Gower spending a night in each b and b I've never forgotten my first glimpse of Rhossili and Oxwich Bay I was amazed how beautiful they were the whole of The Gower is stunning.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Sep-16 20:52:28

We go every May so that I can have an orgy of live music at the St David's Festival; and during the day we walk on the coast path as best we may and love the fresh air and sea views - and the gorse at that time of year which fills the air with a coconut smell. We have done this every year since the children were small and it is a big part of our life. The children did all their exam revision on Pembrokeshire beaches. It is such a joy, and if anyone here has never been, it is time to go! You will not be disappointed.

The Gower is lovely too - Worm's Head and Rhossili beach.

cornergran Wed 14-Sep-16 20:10:26

If the boats are sailing to Caldey I walk to the lighthouse and just sit and look. Wonderful. Our first holiday to Tenby was to Kiln Park, badenkate, 1969 onwards. It sure has grown! A few years ago went with the family just inland from St David's, can't recall the place name, blush, they loved it so more converts. At Bosherton last year, it's all so lovely. Time to plan another holiday I think smile.

Greyduster Wed 14-Sep-16 20:08:54

Lully we had a week in Newport some years ago in a beautiful, tiny, cottage called Bwthyn Betsi. Not long after we moved here I was passing the time of day with a man in the next road who was cleaning his car and we got on to the subject of Pembrokeshire. It transpired they had stayed in the same cottage when they were down there. I remember we walked over to Nevern to see the Ogham stones in St Brychan's church.

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Sep-16 19:57:43

I particularly love Llangranog just north of Cardigan. Had several lovely holidays there with the boys.

LullyDully Wed 14-Sep-16 19:46:03

I love West Wales.

My friend's parents had a converted chapel up above Newport when I was little. We had a lovely time wandering over the Preseli Mts. The beach there is wonderful. I remember picking primroses, boxing them up in moss and posting them to my Mum...magic. ( I know that is verboten now.) Great memories. My grandfather came from St David's, I can feel a holiday coming on.

Badenkate Wed 14-Sep-16 18:08:50

Over 60 years ago when I was little (oh how I've depressed myself now) my mum and dad owned a couple of caravans on Kiln Park Caravan Site just outside Tenby. If you know it now it's huge, but in those days it was in someone's field and I think his name was John. They used to let them out and we would have our holidays (such as they were because dad was a sub-postmaster) there. I love Tenby but haven't been there for years.

Anniebach Wed 14-Sep-16 18:05:39

Teetime, it is so rare I can speak with knowledge on geography, I thought when driving from Wales to england over the Severn bridge I thought for years I was driving west blush

I love Cardigan Bay, rather wild but some beautiful coves if you can scramble down

Jalima Wed 14-Sep-16 18:02:51

If you are in Pembrokeshire then Broadhaven South Beach is stunning and the walk to it is beautiful over Bosherton Lily Ponds.

Greyduster Wed 14-Sep-16 17:58:04

Our love affair with Pembrokeshire started when DH was seconded for a year to a unit down there. The quarters we lived in had their own little beach, which, like the beach above, was accessed down over a hundred steps cut into the side of the cliff. But we were younger and fitter then! The kids adored it. They still do, and so do their kids.

Teetime Wed 14-Sep-16 17:18:33

We did Tenby and St David's but it was too windy for the boats to go out so we didn't get to do the other trips we had planned (anniebach geography isn't my strong point) it was nice though it felt as if I was south and west- we motored for miles!!!

cornergran Wed 14-Sep-16 16:54:23

Love Pembrokeshire. Mr C is from South Wales and the first holiday after our marriage was spent in Tenby which has become our 'Go to' place when we need to escape the world or simply relax. Could do with a visit just now smile.

Wobblybits Wed 14-Sep-16 16:47:22

The Pembrokeshire coast is outstanding, similar to parts of the Cornish coast without the crowds of visitors. We love it, Mrs P's GF lived in Pembrokeshire.

tanith Wed 14-Sep-16 16:23:48

Alima don't put it off make a plan and go next year grin

Alima Wed 14-Sep-16 16:21:36

I have heard many people say how beautiful the Pembrokeshire coast is and it is one place I would love to visit. One day.

Greyduster Wed 14-Sep-16 16:11:09

If you fancy tackling the 133 steps to get down to it, this is one of the most beautiful beaches you will find anywhere (tide was in though!). Traeth Llyfn.

tanith Wed 14-Sep-16 16:09:38

We are off there on Monday for a week my sister lives near Tenby, it's beautiful all round that area we want to spend the day in St. David's as we've never been and plan a trip to Caldey Island if the weather is ok. I agree Wales grabs hold and drags you back time and again.

Greyduster Wed 14-Sep-16 16:04:57

Pembrokeshire is beautiful. We always feel, when we leave there, that we have left a little bit of ourselves behind. It must be what pulls us back time after time.

Anniebach Wed 14-Sep-16 15:29:10

Nice to hear, the caves at Dan yr Ygof are beautiful. But you were in West Wales and Mid Wales smile

Teetime Wed 14-Sep-16 15:19:39

I have just got back from a short break in Pembrokeshire and would just like to say I found Laugharne breathtaking we had a lovely day there. The other place that actually brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful was Cathedral Cave in the National Cave Centre- wonderful visit.