Gransnet forums

Travel

Obese Passenger

(229 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Fri 23-Sep-16 14:29:43

'A disgruntled flyer is suing Emirates airline and claiming his nine-hour flight was 'ruined' by an obese passenger seated next to him.' (title from Daily Mail)

I had the same trouble and sent this ode to the airline I used via FB.

I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, my brand new passport passed scrutiny on its very first time.
"Yes"!!!!
Every thing was going fine
Then, just about take off a shadow descended, I looked up and there a mountain had ascended
All light had been extinguished
My heart gave a flutter
The man by the window and myself looked at each other, OMG this humongous mass was expecting to sit between us!
I got out of my seat to let this 'thing' in.
As this mountain squeezed and grunted into the middle seat of the row
Fat from his body started move. Easing his body down into the seat, it started to grow....:-(
Over the arm rests squished the mass as he tried to become thinner by crossing his arms,
I tried to sit down, only a few inches were left for my arthritic body.
It was like sitting next to a sweaty brick
His seat belt extension duly arrived, the attendant could not look me in the eye.
'Pull out the table'! I said to myself at least claim some space before getting engulfed
The guy at the window chose alcohol instead, and downed plenty of gin to help get by
As the flight progressed no apology from this monster.
He snored, sniffed, and gobbled his food in a flash
He never moved
Not even venturing to the loo.....
About half way through the journey the guy at the window exploded.
He wanted to use his laptop but no room could he find to load it
Invasion of space was the cry of the day
Just a moment......! Our safety has been severely impeded
Still no apology from man or attendants
One was definitely expected and needed
No wonder United 26 staff hid away, at the end of a 7 hour flight
There was no happy smiles as the passengers disembarked
The dust can be seen as the staff scurried away
Yet....... still no apology came our way......

Has anyone had s similar experience?

Teetime Fri 23-Sep-16 14:41:11

Poor man. I feel very sorry for him in his discomfort.

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 14:51:09

On an Easyjet flight I was impressed by the way the stewardess tactfully and quietly found other seats for a hugely fat couple who'd pre booked seats at the very front and led to the poor passenger on the outside seat having to lean right out into the aisle.

gettingonabit Fri 23-Sep-16 14:59:14

Blimeyhmm. Poor man. sad.

annsixty Fri 23-Sep-16 15:09:50

Poor passenger I think. I would have hated a short flight never mind7 hours plus.

ninathenana Fri 23-Sep-16 15:17:22

Why should staff apologise and why did it affect other passengers and cause them not to smile on disembarking?confused

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 15:27:29

It must be hard to ignore 3 such desperately uncomfortable passengers. Not exactly customer care!

TriciaF Fri 23-Sep-16 15:34:35

Next thing, people will be sueing the airlines for not having bigger planes hmm.

phoenix Fri 23-Sep-16 15:38:19

I do wonder why airlines insist on weighing luggage and charging if you are over their prescribed limit..........

phoenix Fri 23-Sep-16 15:41:08

Sorry, got ahead of myself! So, a skinny passenger weighing around 8 stone, with a really large heavy case has to pay extra, but a passenger weighing 30stone with a small case is ok?

I thought the weighing luggage thing was a safety aspect to make sure the plane wasn't carrying too much "cargo" but perhaps I'm wrong (often am )

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 15:43:24

I found that really discomforting to read why would anyone be so cruel as to write about someone like that I m not sure I even understand was this poem in the paper or written by the original poster Talking about a man as an item ...a mountain, a mass a monster I find this very upsetting that anyone can write such cruel words about another human being

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 16:16:02

phoenix I have wondered that too!

I think the problem is that space in economy is quite limited anyway so having someone taking up more than the allocation and squeezing you into a tight space can cause more problems than just discomfort - it could possibly cause DVT, as happened to one woman on a flight from the USA when she sat next to an obese passenger and was squashed into a small space.

It is also very annoying if the person in front shoves their seat right back and leaves it like that for the whole journey while they happily sleep.

Oh to travel business or first!

obieone Fri 23-Sep-16 16:22:32

My thoughts too Bluebelle. I thought I must be missing something, so didnt post earlier.

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 16:24:53

This is a hot topic at present. Some airlines insist that an extra seat is purchased if a passenger cant fit comfortably in the seat with both arm rests down. Others will charge for an extra seat if the seatbelt extension has to be added. Rules vary but passengers should be able to sit comfortably without their personal space being impinged on by others. There are several lawsuits going on at present. Maybe the staff referred to were aware of this and didn't know what to do?

gettingonabit Fri 23-Sep-16 16:39:18

phoenix I agree that passenger weight should be a consideration. In fact, I think there have been instances (not in the UK, but US), where passenger weight has been a contributory factor in air crashes. I also think it should be possible to purchase a seat commensurate with your body mass, but I can't perceive many airlines doing this for the foreseeable future unless there's a solid business case for doing so.

mumofmadboys Fri 23-Sep-16 16:46:55

But for the grace of God........

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:02:17

Yes I know. Obviously we could all get or be fat but its not fair on other passengers if we squash them into less of the space they have purchased.
I had a hellish trip back from Oz once. I had to lean heavily to my left due to the massively overweight man in the next seat. Getting him out when he needed to go to the toilet was a massive operation. We were all at risk of DVTs purely from the even more limited space that this mans sheer bulk led us to have. The staff were apologetic but the flight was full.
The man wasn't apologetic at all and just assumed it was OK to push us all sideways for so many hours.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Sep-16 17:09:08

A friend of my took a flight in a little prop plane top Scilly and everyone had to be weighed so they could distribute the weight evenly - sounds a bit scary to me!

Elljay247 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:11:03

I appreciate you had a long and uncomfortable flight but regardless of any airline obligations or legal rights and wrongs, I found the 'ode' unbelievably cruel. What did you want the passenger to apologise for and what did you expect him to do, lose half his body weight before sitting down?

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:13:59

No. Just choose a seat that he could fit into. It may cost him more of course...

Ana Fri 23-Sep-16 17:16:09

Do airline seats come in sizes these days? confused

It's so long since I've been on one...

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 17:20:52

I do have great empathy with any of you that have been 'squashed' for 7, 8, 9 hours it would be a very very difficult time for you and I have no problem with you grumbling or asking for help but to pen that poem is unforgivably cruel and that is not something to applaud or laugh at I think its awful

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-16 17:32:07

It has been mooted by travel experts that airlines are cynically reducing leg room etc so that more of us will upgrade!

Can remember being stuck in a BA queue at a big US airport that took forever to clear because not enough staff were available YET a BA employee was going up and down the line trying to sell upgrades so that we could go to a special desk where there was only a little queue - my normally very calm and polite OH nearly exploded!

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:32:13

Fair enough. I would never have written it or even thought it up. I dealt with our Oz flight situation in the usual British way -sighing and putting up with it (with a bad grace!)

ninathenana Fri 23-Sep-16 17:34:58

choose a seat that he could fit into like Ana says, is that even possible. ?