Gransnet forums

Travel

Liverpool visit

(16 Posts)
tanith Sat 15-Oct-16 23:25:18

Thankyou Mildred that's helpful. Treebee I wish they would just make every bus pass valid everywhere. I'm sure a lot of people would take advantage of the free tube travel when in London as well as Londonites being able to use it outside London.

Treebee Sat 15-Oct-16 21:24:54

I also recommend the National Trust tour of John and Paul's childhood homes. Was moving to see where they lived and hear stories of their time there. We also loved visiting the 2 cathedrals at either end of Hope Street. So much to see and do in Liverpool.
Wish I had a London Freedom pass, have to wait another 3 1/2 years before I get my local bus pass.

Mildred Sat 15-Oct-16 18:44:26

Tanith asked this morning and you will not be able to use your bus pass on Merseyrail.

KatyK Sat 15-Oct-16 11:39:35

Don't forget to visit Matthew Street smile There is a pub there, The Grapes, where the Beatles used to have a drink in between performances at the Cavern Club. It's a tiny pub but there is a picture on the wall of the Beatles sitting on the seat directly below the picture (if that makes sense). So you can sit in the seat, have your picture taken with the photo of the Beatles sitting in the same seat in the background. Sorry I didn't put that very well but if you have time to visit you will see what I mean! I LOVE liverpool. If you are a member of the National Trust and book a tour through them, you can actually go inside Paul's and John's childhood homes. Fascinating. We stayed in the Hard Days Night Hotel. Beatles obsessed? Me? grin Enjoy it.

Mildred Fri 14-Oct-16 22:55:22

The Musuem of Liverpool, this has a carriage from the Overhead Railway as well as an explanation about it, my GC love it, is worth a visit it is by the Albert Dock as is the Tate. The Central Library (recently refurbished) in WilliamBrownStreet (Picton and Hornby Rooms worth seeing) is by the World Museum, also the Walker Art Gallery, the 3 are close together St George's Hall is nearby. If you have time the Everyman Theatre won the Stirling prize a couple of years ago, you could also call in at both cathedrals as they are nearby (Hope Street). The Philharmonic Hall is also in Hope Street as is the Philharmonic Pub (beautiful Art Nouveau building). Trip out to Crosby to see Gormley's statues weather permitting. Not to mention the Beatles, Liverpool FC/Everton, Speke Hall, National Trust Elizabethan Manor House or the 3 Graces.

tanith Fri 14-Oct-16 22:27:10

Ok what I read was an exhibition about the overhead railway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction GrandmaKT.

GrandmaKT Fri 14-Oct-16 22:23:43

The overhead railway is long gone I'm afraid tanith (closed 1956). Would recommend the World Museum, there is an exhibition of mummified animals that has just opened. Also Albert Dock is interesting. Those of us who live in Merseyside can use our passes on the busses trains and even the ferry smile

tanith Fri 14-Oct-16 22:14:04

Thanks Mildred, we are going to do the Magical Mystery Tour and want to take a trip over the Mersey of course and will probably do the Maritime and Liverpool Museums. Liverpool Cathedral if we have enough time.. did I read there is an overhead railway too?

Mildred Fri 14-Oct-16 21:39:13

Don't think you can use your pass on the City tour bus, but you will check tomorrow if you can use them on Merseyrail, am going shopping in Liverpool, what are you interested in seeing?

tanith Fri 14-Oct-16 21:21:51

Seems quite daft doesn't it?

Greyduster Fri 14-Oct-16 21:19:02

Welsh freedom passes can't be used in England, just as ours can't be used in Wales. My Welsh brother in law tried to use his on a bus in Taunton and was told it wasn't valid.

tanith Fri 14-Oct-16 19:43:02

Thanks everyone I did know you can't use them in Wales.

Alima Fri 14-Oct-16 18:48:30

You are right Dotinggranny. Does that mean that Welsh passes are only valid in Wales? My round Britain adventure when I get my bus pass will have to be reigned in to around England.

Dotinggranny Fri 14-Oct-16 18:41:48

Alima, I don't think you can use a freedom pass in Wales.

Alima Fri 14-Oct-16 18:04:30

I have just googled this tanith and you can use your freedom pass anywhere in England and probably Britain. The usual restrictions apply, i.e. travel after 9.30 on weekdays. My DH uses his Hampshire - issued bus pass wherever we go. I will receive mine in a couple of weeks time and really looking forward to it.

tanith Fri 14-Oct-16 14:38:23

We are planning on visiting Liverpool in the Spring just wondering if we can freely use our Freedom passes on the buses? We are coming up by train from London and although we intend on walk as much as possible using the bus might be useful too.