Gransnet forums

Travel

groupon deals - good?

(39 Posts)
jordana Wed 09-Nov-16 13:07:02

Hi people, I use groupon and itison deals quite often and am usually very pleased with hotel accommodation and meals etc. Do others use these websites and what do they think? I always check trip advisor for comments before I book though. Have bought deals for family as gifts also

Jane10 Wed 09-Nov-16 13:22:54

I am uncomfortable with these. Businesses must be pretty desperate to get people in. I know that for some businesses it can be a last gasp attempt to keep going. Menus etc have to be priced down accordingly and the quality, when compared to the usual quality, is generally poorer. I don't take these deals and feel sorry for the businesses that have to offer them. sad

jordana Wed 09-Nov-16 13:31:32

Sorry Jane10, but I like them. I don't think they are inferior, I just think that they are filling rooms at a quiet period which will suit people who can't afford a higher price. You're right in that the menu is usually a set menu bur still have several choices. As long as the rooms are clean and the food good, that's fine by me

annsixty Wed 09-Nov-16 13:43:30

I have been taken out for afternoon tea, Sunday lunch and weekday lunch and they have been excellent value and excellent quality. All good quality hotels.

Maggymay Wed 09-Nov-16 14:02:11

We had a delicious afternoon tea at a beautiful hotel set in its own grounds,we couldn't fault it the service and food both were first class.£20 for both of us.

Jane10 Wed 09-Nov-16 14:20:14

But the businesses are paying the price. Its nice you enjoy them but I wish you could see the other side (as I have).

Grannyknot Wed 09-Nov-16 16:05:26

Jane I may be wrong, but I think the deals only go ahead are charged to your debit or credit card, once enough numbers of an offer are sold. In other words, the businesses are getting the volume of business which justifies the lower price.

Therefore I don't think businesses are "desperate" (although maybe some are) - I think it is simply another way of marketing.

I don't think this is the same as Groupon, but last Christmas (I was desperate grin ) I bought both sets of adult children accommodation vouchers from Buy-a-gift. Both got excellent value for money, booking was easy, and they were delighted. My son and his wife used theirs to stay in an upmarket B&B in Bath - rolltop bath in the room! I paid £100 or maybe £120 per voucher and each got 2 nights accommodation.

PamelaJ1 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:02:57

I have bought both goods and services from group on and have always been happy with my purchases.
One downside is that you can't always tell if there will be availability when required when it comes to meals and hotel stays. I have contacted the venue directly on a couple of occasions to see if they have any offers on. I don't mention groupon but if they offer me the same or a similar deal I book direct.

Jane10 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:52:22

I don't think you get my point. Good going businesses don't have to resort to having to offer Groupon/Itison. Fair enough, I like a bargain too but there is something very sad about businesses who have to offer this.

Scooter58 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:57:54

I love groupon and itison deals,some really good restaurants and hotels in my area (West of Scotland) run offers regularly,spa days in particular are very good.

tiggypiro Wed 09-Nov-16 18:10:38

Surely Jane10 hotels have the same overheads to pay whether the rooms are full or empty. Is it not better to sell these rooms at a cheaper price and have people in them who are more than likely to buy drinks at the bar, than leave them empty? I have stayed in hotels using a Groupon voucher and have then visited them again without. I call that good business for the hotel.

cornergran Wed 09-Nov-16 18:13:43

We are close to a tourist area which is very busy in the summer but not in winter. A small-ish cafe often has Groupon deals in the winter. We tend to buy them when friends or family are coming to stay. Chatting to the owner he says it works well for him as it enables him to keep a winter presence, many winter Groupon customers return in the summer.

jordana Wed 09-Nov-16 18:48:31

Me too tiggy, if you have a Groupon deal and you liked hotel etc whilst there, you can book the hotel later at another time without a deal. That I think would help business and would appreciate return customers. If hotels and restaurants made a good impression then that's what they would like

annsixty Wed 09-Nov-16 19:36:03

When I went for a midweek lunch at a 4 star hotel it cost £18 for 2 courses for 2. 2 glasses of wine, one small for the driver and two coffees cost £18:90 surely this is where the hotel makes up the cost.

NanaandGrampy Wed 09-Nov-16 19:44:39

I've just had afternoon tea at Patisserie Valerie and a Wyevale garden centre , both at very good prices ( I've eaten at both without a Groupon and they were identical to the full price service.

Neither seems to be in trouble so not desperate.

I spoke to the manager at Patisserie Valerie and she was explaining that it's just one arm of their marketing strategy designed to both increase volume and general awareness .

So I wasn't sad for either business in fact I was totally happy smile

annsixty Wed 09-Nov-16 20:39:01

We are subscribers to the DT. we get offers from them including tea or coffee at Debenhams and offers on stays at very good hotels, none of which would appear to be in difficulties. I think it is part of the general advertising budget. I am happy to take advantage and have enjoyed those I have had.

Grannyknot Wed 09-Nov-16 21:56:08

You've reminded me ann60 - Time Out magazine has some very good deals similar to Groupon. I must have a look at their site again.

POGS Wed 09-Nov-16 22:00:57

My daughter uses groupon and has always been pleased .

She bought hubby and I a groupon deal to a well edtablished, local restaurant which we use occasionally and I can hand on heart say the meal was in no way inferior to their usual standard.

It is hardly a business that is desperate for business but no doubt knew February was a quiet period and they did well with customers using groupon.

I haven't actually looked at the site myself but I think I might now

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Nov-16 09:44:20

I've used Groupon a lot. Many of our local businesses offer deals, and very few of them struggling. Some of them are newly established and want to get a customer base going. Others just want to get more tables filled mid-week. We've never had an inferior meal because we're paying less - that'd hardly help the business in these days when reviews are so important. Nothing sad about it at all.

sillup Thu 10-Nov-16 10:00:01

I use them lot and have always had good value be it for goods or an experience. Recently I bought one for my very discerning SIL to have dinner at a posh place in London, with DD of course. The report back was that the food and service was amazing. He reckoned they use Groupon to increase capacity on the 6.45 sitting as there was a row of them all with their included bottle of Prosseco. They have eaten in fancy restaurants all over the world and this experience came up to expectations. So I say well done Groupon and all the other sites helping businesses to maximise their footfall.

sillup Thu 10-Nov-16 10:00:59

PS. When eating out on a Groupon we do always tip based on what would have been the full cost of the meal. No reason for staff to lose out!

granjan15 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:09:58

How does it work? Do you pay Groupon and they send you a voucher?

jordana Thu 10-Nov-16 10:18:26

Yes gran jen you purchase from Groupon and print out voucher as it has a code on it. If it's a hotel you wish to book, you phone them direct quoting the code some cafes like valerie patisserie say you don't need to book in advance. Hope this helps

Kim19 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:20:44

I think you speak as you find. I had some really acceptable deals with both of these companies until I had a bad experience in which I think I was treated very unfairly so withdrew immediately

granjan15 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:30:32

Thank you jordana. We love Patisserie Valerie so will get a voucher for afternoon tea now.