Gransnet forums

Travel

I am thinking of Croatia

(35 Posts)
GrannyMilly Tue 03-Jan-17 19:32:23

My sister and I try to have a holiday together once a year and we are thinking of Croatia or Dubrovnick any suggestions my sis has a little trouble walking so t=need to bare that in mind.

Caretaker Mon 09-Jan-17 17:39:06

Croatia is famous throughout the world for its plentiful naturist resorts. Since the days of the old Yugoslavia naturism has flourished in this Mediterranean country. With an attractive, although often stony, coast line and fascinating medieval towns and villages, it offers a great welcome to naturists. Flights are available to Pula on most Saturdays and Tuesdays, and this airport serves most of the resorts. Flights to Pula are available from Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds Bradford and Glasgow. A fascinating train journey across Europe is also possible, spending 3 days or longer each way speeding through wonderful scenery, much of which is mountainous.

We have been 15 times and love it. Very clean and friendly.

Lewlew Sun 08-Jan-17 10:33:24

All interesting info...thanks!

Granjan06 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:12:35

We loved Porec so clean and the water was crystal clear and remember the Jet2rep, she was lovely Allidoll

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 22:56:58

The Makarska coastal area is quite flat with promenade walks; it does not have the history of some other places but I am sure trips would be available from there to historic sites and to some of the islands.

Boolya Sat 07-Jan-17 18:09:21

Although Croatia and indeed Montenegro are beautiful, we found them not easy going for my husband who has mobility issues. He had to "push" himself at times, but having said that, we did enjoy ourselves. The area is hilly and rocky and often we were faced with flights of steps. However, take your time and don't rush!

Crystalgrandma Sat 07-Jan-17 16:16:52

We had a wonderful 'Island Hopping' Holiday with Saga (In the land brochure - not cruise brochure.)
Very reasonably priced. Small boat of about 30 people. Planning to go back and do again.

granma47 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:37:01

We have had 2 very enjoyable holidays in Croatia, the first being close to Dubrovnik and the 2nd last year to Makarska. We use Jet2 holidays and are booked to go again this year to Rovinj. Makarska has lots of walks on the flat promenades with beautiful mountains behind the town and marinas with boats coming and going. Lots of lovely restaurants and market stalls. The sea is clean although you would need shoes to walk on the pebbles and the sunsets are georgeous.

SuzieG Sat 07-Jan-17 15:30:32

Rovinj has hotel accommodation near a pebbly beach with good tree cover and a good range of restaurants by the shore, but a very steep climb up to the church. If you need health care i Croatia ask for the "ambulent" (walk in clinic), you will have to queue with the Grannies who make sure no one pushes ahead but someone normally speeaks English. I had excellent prompt care in Biograd one year after being bitten by a dog and another year when I dislocated my shoulder.

SuzieG Sat 07-Jan-17 15:20:01

Probably best to avoid the period 15th July to 15th August when many Italians go on holiday to Croatia and prices soar and it can get very hot. June and September are good months. Bus and ferries are cheap. Zadar has an airport, an interesting old town and ferries to islands such as Dugi Otok and Uglian, Pula airport can be used to explore Istria, and Split airport is very close to Trogir a Unesco world heritage site. Split ferries take you to the islands of Brac, Hvar, Vis and Korcula (Split bus station is a bit lairy). Many Croatians involved in the hospitality trade speak some Italian, German and English.
We love Croatia but refrain from talking politics.

chrissyh Sat 07-Jan-17 14:24:25

Have you thought of doing a cruise? DH and I went for a 7 night cruise to Croatia and Italy. It was beautiful. We spent 4 days in Croatia (Dubrovnik, Ravinj, Split and Zadar and 2 days in Italy (Trieste and Venice). You can get off the ship and walk around or go on an organised excursion. All ships and excursions cater for people with walking difficulties. Unless you hate the water, and the cost isn't too inhibitive, it's a really great way to see a lot of different places on one holiday and decide whether you would like to go back again and stay for longer.

Neversaydie Sat 07-Jan-17 13:57:41

Traveled from Trogdir to Dubrovnik via Korcula and Hvaar about 7 years ago and would echo above. We loved Croatia and would happily go back-possibly to the north.We did a side trip to Mostar which was fascinating. I don't think you can expect them 'not to mention the war'It is comparatively recent ... Indeed our conversation with our young guide in Dubrovnik was sobering -she,her mother and her brother fled the city as the enemy came over the hill ,leaving her father behind (he survived).They had already run out of food and water and the electricity hadnt worked for months . I think of it (and the museum covering the war) sometimes when Syria is on the news.
Dubrovnik is slightly unreal .Picture perfect-you have to look quite hard to see where the damage has been repaired.The walk round the walls is easy one you are up there

Alima Sat 07-Jan-17 13:01:53

A few years ago we had a coach holiday which started in Dubrovnik and then followed the coast northwards. Beautiful beaches, many of them quite rocky and lots of nude Germans about. (On the beaches that is). Croatia is a really scenic country, the prices are good and the people are friendly though I don't think they do queuing, caught a local bus once and it was every man for himself. Didn't see any trains/tracks there, maybe Croatia doesn't have a rail service.

marpau Sat 07-Jan-17 12:49:28

Caveat is lovely easy walk to town centre and water taxi to Dubrovnik

Youngeil Sat 07-Jan-17 12:25:49

We loved Croatia, so much so we were booked on a similar coastal tour to Sunlover last year but had to cancel because of health problems. Can't wait to revisit, we booked both times through Saga - who do make allowances for people with walking difficulties. Have you considered Malta for your holiday, we really liked the island and stayed just outside Slima overlooking the sea - just idyllic. We went in February and the weather was glorious, the locals were dressed in warm clothing, I had to buy some summer tops to see me through. People delightful, cuisine interesting mixture, lots to do, bus service is fantastic.

sweetcakes Sat 07-Jan-17 12:14:33

Sorry correction Dubrovnik was lovely though

sweetcakes Sat 07-Jan-17 12:12:00

We went to one of the islands, Lopud wish I hadn't bothered hated it went on a day trip to montenegro didn't like that either all they kept on about was the war and Russian's. Dubrovnik was though but if you have problems with mobility it can be a trifle hilly with lots of stairs. Do a search online and have a look

hulahoop Sat 07-Jan-17 11:51:38

We stayed in POREC loved it there was a cycle way from our hotel into town woodland at one side sandy grass platforms which people dived off into sea . If walking a big problem there was a land train which ran frequently and didn't cost a lot .enjoy wherever you decide ✈️

paddyann Sat 07-Jan-17 11:15:33

we drove to Zagreb and stayed over in Samobor ,which is about 20 miles outside the city ,its a beautiful wee town and the hotels was quite cheap ,staying over gave us a bit more time to see the city and surrounding area and we liked it so much we did the same a couple of times

Lewlew Sat 07-Jan-17 10:56:20

By chance did any of your northern Croatia travellers visit Krapina? I am interested in the Neanderthal Museum there. It's not far north of Zagreb. I was looking at a tour that included a day free in Zagreb and thought it might be doable.

Any info appreciated!

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 10:42:20

Korcula Town is like a mini Dubrovnik.
We went there before the war but have been back to different areas since.

I haven't been further north than Split, perhaps we will try further north next time.

As mentioned by Alidill* - take water shoes, not only pebbles but sea urchins.

Meriel Sat 07-Jan-17 10:41:10

We had a great holiday in Croatia. Absolutely loved Dubrovnik but it may be a bit difficult for anyone with walking problems. Agree about Kotcula, really lovely.

dizzygran Sat 07-Jan-17 10:38:19

I've been to Budva, Dubrovnik and went to Split two years ago. Depends on what you are looking for during the holiday. Dubrovnik is a world heritage city and great to walk around. We also stayed in Budva, a few miles away - nice beaches and great swimming. We went to a few other places, but most of these involved lots of hill walking!!

Split was also good, it can be a bit hilly on the outskirts, but there is lots to see in the town. Lovely place to visit. We stayed at the Raddisson, which is a bit out of the way but you can get a taxi very cheaply to take you to the town. There are probably hotels in Split itself which might be more suitable. You can get ferries to nearby islands very easily from the harbour in Split. No beaches in Split.

bev1 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:30:32

Who did you do that trip through Sunlover? It sounds idylic, just the sort of thing I would like to do.

Alidoll Sat 07-Jan-17 09:51:17

Been to Croatia many times (first when it was still Yugoslavia). I prefer thr Istra Penisula to the north rather than the south and Dubrovnik. There's a lot more things to do in the north and, dare I say it, the people are more friendly.

The first time I went I was 12 and stayed in Umag which is a pretty village. When the war ended tourism switched to Porec and Rovinj so while Umag is still nice, I'd stay in Porec instead. There are loads of hotels within walking distance of the town - thr Mediteran is lovely as the Jet2 rep is Scottish (married a local) and very knowledgeable about the area.

Tripwise you can take the hydrofoil over to Venice for the day direct from Porec. There's a day trip up into Slovenia to see the Lipica stud farm (Lipizzaner horses) and Postonja Caves which are stunning. You can also go to a hillside village or over to Optija which is a pretty drive. There aren't "sandy" beaches but the water is shallow near the coast and crystal clear so if you wear watershoes you can wade out a fair way.

Flights are to Pula which has a Roman Amphitheater which is interesting to visit. The city itself has shops and restaurants etc so worth a day visit.

Rovinj is on a hill but also popular as it's got winding streets up to a church on the top with views out over the sea.

Cavtat to the south is run down and badly needs an injection of tourist cash. We stayed there 2 years ago and I wasn't impressed. It looks tired and the locals while nice enough complained constantly about the Russians taking over (they buy land but don't develop seemingly). Dubrovnik was pretty but touristy and the bus drivers were downright rude to ANY tourist while fawning over themselves for locals - letting them on before tourists that had been standing much longer for the same bus.

I've not been to Split area so can't comment on their but have booked to return to Pula this year again and hoping to see Lake Bled (another day trip you can do) and perhaps the Plitvice Lakes which again are reachable from Porec / Pula.

Also recommend Jet2Holidays. Can pay £60 deposit then instalments to make it easier on the wages. Can book food in advance (and it's actually edible) as well as transfers included to the hotel. I book tours through Thomson Excursions who use local company Tui for their tours. Usually a wee bit cheaper to buy in advance - just make sure you print out a copy of your ticket.

If you want any more details, drop me a PM as happy to help. My family love Croatia (and was my very first holiday abroad as a kid so special in that respect).

Good luck!

floorflock Sat 07-Jan-17 09:27:54

We stopped at Korcula whilst on a cruise. It was the best stop of the whole trip. I would definitely recommend it and hope to go back there myself for a longer stay sometime.