Gransnet forums

Travel

Salisbury: what's it like for a short break?

(16 Posts)
Rowantree Sun 22-Jan-17 20:44:29

Wonderful - thank you all very much! I am convinced. Been to Avebury many times and love it there, but probably will focus on some of the other interesting places this time. Now we just have to find somewhere delightful to stay.... it's not till mid-March so plenty of time to research that :-)

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 20:54:25

I think Sulgrave is north of Oxford? Quite a distance unless it is en route.

Jalima Sat 21-Jan-17 20:49:41

I have only been for a day which included a service in the Cathedral but I would certainly like to have spent longer there.

Avebury is nearly an hour away but well worth a visit - opt for the guided tour around the stones as the guide is very informative and interesting.

whitewave Sat 21-Jan-17 18:01:18

Not very far from the north side of the New Forest as well

M0nica Sat 21-Jan-17 17:39:11

Salisbury Cathedral, The Cathedral Close, including Mompesson House (NT) and Arundells (Edward Heath's home), Salisbury Museum, Old Sarum (the original site of Salisbury), Wilton House, The town centre and market, Stonehemge, Avebury, Amesbury.......I could go on and on.

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 16:07:45

Depending on the length of your stay, a side trip to Bath may be in order. Also love Sulgrave, not sure the distance.

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 16:05:19

The Cathedral is spectacular, I could spend a day wandering hither and yon, looking in every nook.

TerriBull Sat 21-Jan-17 10:40:34

I thought Salisbury looked a very attractive small city when I visited it is fairly near other old cathedral city Winchester also lovely. As others have stated New Forest and Bournemouth not far away. There's a lovely old Georgian house near the cathedral, Mompessan House which is a National Trust property, unfortunately it was closed when I was there, but looked worth a visit. Attractive towns in the general area Peter's field, Bishops Waltham in Hants and Marlborough, Wilts.

Indinana Sat 21-Jan-17 09:59:30

Salisbury is indeed a lovely city, though we haven't visited there for many years.What about Marlborough? It's only a half hour drive north of Salisbury and is well worth a visit. We stayed there for my DH's birthday a couple of years ago and fell in love with the town. It has a lovely wide high street with so many interesting shops, and a really good market every Saturday. It is a beautiful old market town - I really want to go back as it was bitterly cold when we were there, so I want to enjoy it in warmer weather when I can saunter about more comfortably!

rosesarered Sat 21-Jan-17 09:43:32

I like Salisbury ( also Winchester) but then I love cathedrals, and can spend ages looking around.Both places have good shops ( Salisbury has more) and really Mamie has said it all.smile Go there Rowan perfect for a short break. pretty villages around ( almost moved to Mere once.)

Humbertbear Sat 21-Jan-17 09:40:02

Avebury Manor is really interesting as everything in it is reproduction and you can sit on the chairs and lie on the beds. Salisbury Cathedral is very interesting. There is a Factory Outlet (small) at Wilton.
There is a great car boot sale every Sunday morning at the Salisbury Livestock Market. It's one of the best we have ever been to.
Salisbury itself has a small market and nice shops.
I wouldn't advise going round Wilton House. We saw very little of the house itself and were very disappointed although the guide was very helpful and friendly.

Greenfinch Sat 21-Jan-17 09:05:32

What about Winchester ? Quite small and very interesting history.

grandma60 Sat 21-Jan-17 08:47:16

We live close enough to Salisbury for a day out, and it is a lovely city. I think Mamie said it all really. Well worth a visit.

Mamie Sat 21-Jan-17 06:00:16

It is a lovely city; lots to see and do and the shopping is great. I haven't been for a few years, but when we lived nearby we used to go every Saturday for the market. You also have lovely countryside all around. The Wiltshire countryside to the North, lovely Cranborne Chase and Dorset countryside to the west and the New Forest to the south. Bournemouth and the Dorset coast are an easy drive away. The traffic around the city is heavy so it is worth staying inside the ring road if you can. It used to be very good for food too, I can't imagine that has changed.
I miss Salisbury.

Araabra Sat 21-Jan-17 03:16:41

The Salisbury Cathedral, Avebury Stone Circle and manor, gardens, Stonehenge. Lovely area.

Rowantree Sat 21-Jan-17 01:58:19

Most years, in mid-March, we have a few days away for DH's birthday.In the UK, not too far that we spend all day driving there, and somewhere with some interesting history, places to visit close by and, hopefully, beautiful villages and countryside. We've had breaks in the Cotswolds,Oxford, Cambridge, Northamptonshire,Stratford, Norfolk, Suffolk and have been further on longer holidays to the Dales, Northumberland, Devon, Cornwall and so on. We live near Croydon (yes, yes, I know!) so Canterbury or anywhere in Kent, Surrey or Sussex is too close - we know it too well!

This year we were wondering about Salisbury. It's somewhere we've driven through but only once visited and it was so long ago I can't remember much about it. What's it like as a city? I know there's the Cathedral and a couple of historic houses in the Cathedral Close, and we'd include a visit to Stonehenge, but is Salisbury an attractive place with a lot to see? Would you recommend a few days there, or nearby? And if not, any other suggestions?