Gransnet forums

Travel

Devon?

(27 Posts)
Lynnebo Thu 26-Jan-17 13:00:18

Looking to get away just for a few days with DD and DGD (3 and a half) in the near future.
Fancy the south coast - maybe Devon - in a cottage not far from the sea
Any recommendations please? smile

Ranworth1 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:41:30

www.pottersmooring.co.uk/

HildaW Sat 11-Feb-17 16:55:35

Devon is quite varied.....South Devon is your typical 'Torquay Riviera' with lots of typical seaside entertainment and facilities whilst Sidmouth and Budleigh are a little more sedate . North Devon is more rugged and less developed. Then there is the bit in the middle with the Moors and the ponies...all 'Lorna Doon'. It depends what you want. When my children were young we tried most of it but the one we all really remember was in North Devon near a place called Hartland Point. WE had a cottage on a farm right next to some wonderful unspoilt coastline so the children had so much to keep them entertained!

I quite envy you!

KatyK Sat 11-Feb-17 17:04:48

The area around Salcombe is nice.

kittylester Sat 11-Feb-17 17:13:02

Our holidays with the children were often spent in Woolacombe. We usually rented a flat round a pool but often went to the beach - happy memories.

kittylester Sat 11-Feb-17 17:15:35

www.woolacombe-bay-hotel.co.uk/hotels-north-devon/self-catering-holidays

Forgot the link - sorry!

Lillie Sat 11-Feb-17 17:17:15

If you want to keep the 3 year old happy it has to be East Devon, (Sidmouth is good) .......... .... Crealy Adventure Park, Bicton Park, Country Life, Donkey Sanctuary, Pecorama to name just a few. Look at Sweetcombe Cottages, always clean, well equipped and reasonably priced.

Jayanna9040 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:01:17

It will rain. No matter what time of year. I spent many years visiting in-laws, fighting my way round Plymouth Hoe in driving rain, trying to pretend we were having a nice time. Take plenty of board games, sou'westers and rubber boots.
Or go round the corner to Dorset or Hampshire. Much better weather??

Lillie Sat 11-Feb-17 18:45:28

Ha ha Jayanna it's snowing lightly here in Devon today. grin
All the places I mentioned have indoor bits too and cafés. The Donkey Sanctuary is free, they just ask for a donation. The other places are quite pricey but you can go back again.

Jayanna9040 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:52:40

Oh yes, snow as well. Chains on the tyres, sliding the wrong way down the lane, trying to find the pony in the drifts ? Actually I have very fond memories. Devon at its best in the Spring in my opinion, when all the primroses are out????

phoenix Sun 12-Feb-17 03:37:21

I live in North Devon, but don't let that put you off grin

ninathenana Sun 12-Feb-17 08:38:00

Devon is lovely H and I have often discussed down seizing to there.

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 10:13:47

jayanna grin

As the postcard says: Come to sunny Devon where ut rains six days out of seven

Seriously, though, it doesn't!

Devon is so varied it is difficult to advise unless we know what type of holiday you want. Not all of Devon is like Torbay where it can be very busy but yes, the Exmouth area would offer the entertainment that Lillie mentions along with nice beaches, Salcombe area is lovely but probably more pricey, inland is great as is North Devon.

The Doone Valley is Somerset I think, all lovely country but it depends what you are looking for.

jusnoneed Sun 12-Feb-17 10:14:51

We always liked the Exmouth area, lovely beach there. My neighbours go to Woolacombe at least once a year as her hubby/son like body boarding and surfing.

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 10:15:40

Ps watch the seagulls, they are adept at taking food from your hand before you know it.

Hilltopgran Sun 12-Feb-17 12:03:36

We had a wonderful holiday a couple of years ago in a cottage on Hartland point, for anyone else interested in gardens I have never been anywhere else with so many beautiful gardens in the area to visit, and they all offered cream teas! Lots of other options for family members as well.

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:12:26

Don`t know about accommodation anymore, it`s a while since we were there, but with 5 children in tow, we found Bigbury-on-Sea to be ideal for young children.

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 19:35:58

It is lovely for a beach holiday if the weather is good and there are places within reach, but Bigbury-on-Sea is quite quiet. The pub on the island is only open to locals and people staying at the hotel now too hmm

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:57:48

Is that the Pilchard Inn Jalima? We were very lucky, we had beautiful weather whilst we were there, but I suppose the weather is needed there.

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 12:45:24

Yes, it is, we used to go there sometimes but now it is locals only (I supposed we used to be localish).
I think you could buy a drink and stay outside but inside is strictly for locals and those who can afford to stay at the hotel.
As there were quite a lot of us we were not staying at the hotel grin

KatyK Tue 14-Feb-17 13:34:59

Is The Pilchard Inn only open to locals now Jalima ? We had lovely crab sandwiches there while on a day trip to Bigbury-on-Sea and Burgh Island.

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 13:40:26

It was last time we went; I think you could buy a drink through a hatch and sit outside but it was raining so we didn't bother.

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 13:41:42

It has all changed hands I think KatyK

They allowed the hoi polloi (us) to walk along the paths grin

KatyK Tue 14-Feb-17 17:42:42

That's not very welcoming of them is it? shock

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 20:15:40

Certainly not!