Gransnet forums

Travel

Ideas for a river cruise in Europe in Sept

(25 Posts)
cangran Wed 12-Apr-17 11:55:39

I never particularly wanted to take a cruise but my sister in Canada has suggested a 7 or 8 day river cruise in Europe when she and my brother-in-law visit us in Sept and I like the idea. Some questions:

Suggestions for a lovely, scenic cruise with options for visiting interesting places en route (we are all in our 70s and generally very fit).

Would you recommend a particular, good value company? Living in North London, I'd really like to be able to get the Eurostar if possible rather than go by air (but not crucial).

I would particularly like a cruise that has a casual atmosphere, i.e. no need to dress formally for dinner.

My husband has a hernia and needs to eat small amounts frequently so it would be good to have access to snacks between meals.

HildaW Wed 12-Apr-17 12:35:49

If you really want to spoil yourself - can recommend Uniworld. Bookable via the UK firm Titian who will provide a door to door pick up service. Uniworld is a US based company and their boats a delightful and we meet U.S. Canadian and Australian travellers on their cruises which makes for a lively mix. We have done a Rhine cruise and an Italian one with them that took us all around Venice.

HildaW Wed 12-Apr-17 12:38:05

P.S. because its a favourite with Americans....the atmosphere is a lovely mixture of impeccable service yet delightful informality too......and no I'm not on commission!

Norah Wed 12-Apr-17 21:58:09

We river cruise on Viking, Uniworld, Avalon. Atmosphere is very casual, no need to dress up.

The guests seem to be mostly British, American, and Canadian. The food is nice and available for lengthy meals and snacks. There are plenty of lounge areas with wine and beer.

Someone asked on another post about tipping. We have no problem with the tip scheme.

cangran Thu 13-Apr-17 09:22:56

Thank you both for your very useful feedback. I'll also check out an earlier post on the same subject (saw it just after posting here!). My sister and I have lots of research to do on companies/cruises that fit the time period. I never thought I'd like a cruise but I'm really looking forward to a river cruise.

JackyB Thu 13-Apr-17 11:44:09

Even though I'm not impartial, because I live on the Rhine, I still would say it's the most iconic of rivers. You will see the beautiful chocolate box towns of Bacharach, Bingen, etc., (perfect for visitors from the Americas) Cologne, which is unforgettable, Düsseldorf, and then to jolly Holland. The Dutch are such fun.

My sister-in-law has just come back from such a tour, which included excursions to Antwerp, Rotterdam and other brilliant places. She was lucky enough to get an upgrade to a cabin 2 classes better for no extra charge: Deck level with a balcony, instead of well below decks!

vwaves Fri 14-Apr-17 09:15:25

I did a lovely river cruise with emerald waterways. We did change for dinner but not too dressy. It was a lovely experience.

W11girl Fri 14-Apr-17 09:46:29

The only problem I personally have with river cruises, is that they are too small for me. I like to be annonymous when on holiday, so I tend to stick to Cruising on the "high seas". There are so many beautiful places to visit however on a river cruise in Europe.
Have met many nice people from all parts of the world on my "high seas" cruises and recently had a great time on a Norwegian Cruise Line with Canadians and Americans. I'm not helping am I!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 14-Apr-17 09:57:57

Get on the internet and order as many brochures you fancy advertised for river cruises.To me these beat sea cruises as unlike a huge liner on an ocean where you can be stuck at sea for days there is something to see!! day or night on a river cruise.They will cater for special diets which you should make known when you book
Smart casual was fine for me at dinner
Although can be a bit expensive I recommend a suite with a balcony.

westieyaya Fri 14-Apr-17 10:18:22

River cruises have a major advantage over high sea cruising no days at sea, you're in a different place each day, I'm off in 2 weeks for a 7 night cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. Dress can be smartly casual? I've booked with Emerald mainly for a late booking their prices were reduced and lots of extras included. The best cruise ships I've found in the past are the Amadeus ones, used by Saga, but operated by the mega efficient Luffner cruises. There arent many opportunities for between meal snack other than a cake at afternoon tea time, but if you want a Mid morning snack take a couple of pastries from the extensive breakfast buffet. Hope this helps.

cangran Fri 14-Apr-17 10:25:36

It all helps a great deal - thank you everyone!

Tallulah2 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:40:22

Can highly recommend Viking - I did their Danube cruise last year. Great tours every day. Not cheap but so well looked after from start to finish. Smart casual was the dress code for evenings, but some people stayed in their shorts and trainers!. Passenger mix was mainly American and Canadian. It was my first experience of cruising and I loved it.

Persistentdonor Fri 14-Apr-17 10:59:57

I second Tallulah2.... I went on a Viking tour/cruise to China last year; enjoyed the relaxed but caring environment so much I am looking forward to their Danube cruise in December.

TriciaF Fri 14-Apr-17 11:24:18

www.leboat.com/vacations/destinations/france
Some of these look good - wouldn't mind going myself.

willia Fri 14-Apr-17 12:01:30

I would highly recommend Jules Verne Douro River cruise - Admittedly it was a few years ago that I did this, but it was excellent, a VERY small boat, relaxed atmosphere, very interesting trips...dress up or down as you wish.

I went on a Viking cruise on the Rhine in April 3 years ago, which was very good in itself, but a word of warning ...bear in mind that there are 5 or 6 other cruise boats all docking at the same time for the same trips to the same interesting places...THINK CROWDS! Even early in the season I found it very oppressive, for me it would have been unbearable in the high season.

I have travelled with JVT, the Nile, Turkey, Portugal, IMO they have the very best guides, I much prefer the small boats.

leeds22 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:14:57

We are doing a Riviera cruise on the Rhine, which includes travel to mainland by Eurostar.

Jezebel Fri 14-Apr-17 13:24:30

My first river cruise was with Avalon on Rhine Danube, fantastic experience amazing crew, so we'll looked after, mainly American , Canadian, and Australian, passengers, no dress code, some smart casual for dinner, others not, nice to sit wherever for each meal, and mix with different people , and lastly, the most amazing views and visits every day x

Musicelf Fri 14-Apr-17 17:19:54

We went on a Viking river cruise on the Rhine, which was lovely, especially because I have family all over Germany and the trip brought back great memories. Informal dress but very friendly and great service. (This year we're back on the ocean and going to look at the Norwegian fjords....can't wait!)

Tessa101 Fri 14-Apr-17 22:15:57

There was a documentary on recently with Jane MacDonald she tried all different types of cruises out, there were a few in and around Europe. Some were very small and private some were relaxed and casual where you didn't need to dress for dinner, it was very interesting and you got all the info on the companies that run them. Maybe you could find it in catch up tv.Its called " Crusing with Jane McDonald" channel 5 it was on in March.

Ranworth1 Fri 14-Apr-17 23:21:06

Try www.arosa.de/en. A-Rosa Cruises. Danube, Seine, Rhine etc. Excellent.

cangran Sat 15-Apr-17 10:02:15

Thank you so much everyone - I shall definitely be following up the leads and also checking out the Jane McDonald documentary.

marionk Tue 18-Apr-17 22:16:40

We are currently on a Douro river cruise and it has been fabulous, just a week and with Saga as they were the best insurers for my husbands medical issues. Just a week and only just over 100 people on the boat, all inclusive too, can't rate it highly enough

fluttERBY123 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:50:25

Viking is fantastic - we have done St Petersburg to Moscow and another one on the Rhine with them. I agree with all that has been said about Viking by others on here. Six course dinners beautifully presented and satisfying but non-fattening - I lost 2lbs - what more could you want! They get you up early and so usually beat the crowds.

HildaW Wed 19-Apr-17 13:31:21

Am now getting excited for our Cruise on the Douro at the end of June, and yes you can eat very healthily on these cruises. Its very much about the quality and not the quantity and because you know there will be another lovely meal to tempt you in a few hours, you do not over eat. I find I just sample things and the vast array of beautifully prepared fruit and vegetables (so time consuming at home) keeps me very healthy.

Norah Wed 19-Apr-17 14:01:53

The Douro cruise on Viking is magnificent. The added pre and post trips are great as well.