Gransnet forums

Travel

Mobile phone abroad

(29 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 13-Apr-17 23:19:19

Taking my mobile abroad, and just want to pick up any emails or just check a few things on the Internet. what do I do with my mobile - do I turn off data roaming to avoid a large bill? Is it worth buying extra data and if so how much? I'm confused. What do most people do? Lots of places won't have wifi will they? Would welcome advice from a seasoned traveler. Someone mentioned buying a sim abroad, now I'm completely baffled, please put me straight please. I don't want to be cut off as I like my phone but don't want to run up big charges.
I own my phone and have a sim only contract.

henbane Sun 16-Apr-17 01:10:40

MrsM, agree phone is extremely useful for all the things you mentioned, but I think you are missing Sarah's point which (I think) was that a lot of us go on holiday to have a break from everyday life. You can find places to visit, check the weather forecast, and read the news if you must, in the hotel/on campsite with wifi, and you can play games etc if you're sitting around bored - but you don't really want constant texts & phone calls when you are trying to relax. If you're going to be at everyone's beck and call what's the point of going on holiday? Apart from the weather, you might as well stay at home and save the money!

Luckylegs9 Tue 18-Apr-17 08:01:46

A holiday I spent with 3 close friends, was spoilt by one of the group, continuously on the phone to her two 30 something children, both married with children, she liked to be in the picture. What is wrong with sorting out places of interest before travelling and talking to those you are with, surely those loved ones just want to know you have arrived safely.

mrsmopp Mon 01-May-17 14:29:13

I never said I was going to be continually on the phone at everyone's beck and call! I just wanted to access the Internet and not be cut off and isolated. I was glad I was advised to turn off data roaming and there was more free wifi around than I expected. So it worked well without costing an arm and a leg. I didn't want to be clobbered by a huge bill as happened to someone I know.
Thanks to all who replied.
Had a lovely holiday, arrived home to pouring rain! But that doesn't bother me. ?