Gransnet forums

Travel

North Coast 500

(9 Posts)
SueDonim Mon 17-Jul-17 13:22:44

The roads are pretty good, surface-wise, better than the potholed ones where I now live.

The single track roads are not difficult to drive, there are plenty of passing places and are much wider than they were in the 70's/80's. A good deal of money seems to have been spent on them!

It really is a memorable drive.

craftygran Mon 17-Jul-17 11:18:15

Would love to do this trip but I hate driving on single track roads and DH isn't able to do a lot of driving. What are the roads like?

mcem Sun 30-Apr-17 17:30:36

DD and fiancé are planning to make this their honeymoon trip next summer.

petra Sun 30-Apr-17 16:33:36

I'm trying to get the OH to do this tour but he's averse to bad weather.
Also looking at the west coast of Ireland ( more bad weather) sad

TriciaF Sun 30-Apr-17 11:57:45

I don't think you get so many midgies near the coast, especially if it's windy. They prefer damp wooded areas.
I could be wrong though - we were eaten alive while camping on Skye, in August, but I think that was inland.
Good for you - very adventurous.

SueDonim Sun 30-Apr-17 10:58:30

Oh, I forgot the midges. We went in May and didn't encounter any midges.

SueDonim Sun 30-Apr-17 10:57:59

We did thatmroute two years ago, before it was opened. We used to live in Thurso so it was a familiar road. Some of it has been upgraded from when we're lived there i.e. no longer single track with passing passes!

It's an amazing drive. Hotels are what you might call quaint but they're adequate. smile

Tizliz Sun 30-Apr-17 09:45:15

Can I suggest you look at some facebook pages e.g. Sutherland and True Highlanders. You want to include Kylesku hotel and Cocoa Moutain at Durness on the west coast and Dornoch on the East. If you want to avoid midges come in the winter grin. You need to take your time to enjoy the scenery and some of the side roads. Lovely beaches on the north coast but can be cold. You can drop in to see me, or meet at the Pier in Lairg, which is a bit off the route but worth it.

kittylester Sun 30-Apr-17 07:54:36

This is a recommended route round the North Coast of Scotland which DH and I are thinking about doing later in the year.

Has any one done it? Was it successful? Any suggestions? Eg when will we avoid midges? grin