Gransnet forums

Travel

Short Break self catering

(13 Posts)
Grannyflower Fri 19-May-17 05:09:15

The east coast is lovely do come and visit. From Lincoln city to the beaches at Cleethorpes and the Wolds in between north east Lincolnshire is very varied. smile

petra Thu 18-May-17 16:45:48

ninathenana we have found that most big supermarkets can accommodate a ' normal' size motohome. Ours is 24ft long. We do tow a smart car as we like to park away from other campers and like to explore small coastal villages where access roads are very narrow.

Glenfinnan Thu 18-May-17 09:17:30

Annsixty so sorry about your holidays. Sure DH would just stay at home but I'm trying to keep us getting out for as long as I can. Also looking at coach trips as another alternative. xx

Glenfinnan Wed 17-May-17 19:32:19

Just checked out AirBNB MOST impressed thank you Teetime and Greyduster!

Glenfinnan Wed 17-May-17 18:44:34

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. Will certainly look at AirB&B and also the Cresswell sites. xx

hildajenniJ Wed 17-May-17 16:00:46

We've just come back from a day out to the north east coast. We ended up at Cresswell. There are two private holiday parks there. Golden Sands holiday park looks lovely. Some years ago we stayed at Barmston Beach holiday park, it's near Bridlington. It was the last holiday that we had with my parents, when Dad was still driving. There's lots to do near there, Burton Agnes Hall is beautiful and very interesting. These are caravan parks but quite small and quiet.

hulahoop Wed 17-May-17 15:27:25

We hire caravans on east coast there are big and small sites we like to self cater so we can get up when we like and eat what we want we do eat out a lot though .

Greyduster Wed 17-May-17 15:11:49

We stayed in a nice small apartment at the weekend that DS booked through AirB&B. He has used them a few times. And he's fussy!!

ninathenana Wed 17-May-17 14:57:53

vq H and I have thought from time to time of hiring a campervan. I'm slightly put off though with the idea of parking. I don't mean overnight or stopping somewhere for a brew etc. I'm thinking supermaket car park or car park in town where you stop for an explore on foot. You see campervans towing very small cars or with cycles is that necessary ?
Sorry OP I have no suggestioOP.

vampirequeen Wed 17-May-17 10:11:31

We had to sell our caravan when DH became ill but we reinvested in a campervan. It's so much easier. You get in, drive to where you're going, park up and put the kettle on. No support legs to faff with....no trying to hitch it up or unhitch it. No special mirrors for the car.

I can also take a turn driving which I couldn't do with the caravan.

Admittedly it's not as big as our caravan but tbh it's advantages far outweigh the loss of space.

Teetime Wed 17-May-17 09:32:20

I haven't used it myself yet but my hairdresser goes straight to AirB &B and has rented some lovely apartments at very good prices.

annsixty Wed 17-May-17 09:13:15

Well I am sorry not to be helpful not knowing the East Coast but just wanted to commiserate with having to give up your caravan. We had to give up our tourer when H no longer coped with towing and bought a static in N Wales which we loved but eventually had to give that up as well.
We don't holiday at all now to my sadness.
Good luck with finding locations and make the most of it while you can.

Glenfinnan Wed 17-May-17 08:48:11

We are most probably going to sell our caravan, DH not up to it anymore. We like to go for short breaks and wonder if any GNetters could recommend apartments or apartments within hotels on the East Coast. Self catering is best for us a DH on special diet. Thank you.