Gransnet forums

Travel

Oyster cards for visitors

(10 Posts)
mcem Tue 13-Jun-17 19:59:31

DD visiting London next week and I said I'd check out Oyster card for her.
Am I right to think that she doesn't need one at all now and can simply travel by tapping her debit card on the turnstile terminals?

Nine Tue 13-Jun-17 20:08:08

Absolutely - all she needs is a bank debit card. It works by tapping - just the same as an oyster card. There is no need to register - Just remind her to "sign/tap out" at the end of her journey. I do this on a very regular basis - haven't encountered any problems at all. Enjoy your DD visit.

Swanny Tue 13-Jun-17 20:13:02

mcem as far as I'm aware that is correct, but I think it will be cheaper if she has an actual Oyster card. Sorry I can't be more positive as 'those of a certain age' like me have a Freedom Pass.

Riverwalk Tue 13-Jun-17 20:18:30

It can be a credit card, as well as a debit card but whichever it does needs to be 'Contactless', which some people have opted-out of.

mcem Tue 13-Jun-17 20:19:57

It's a couple of years since I visited and found the registration and topping-up very simple. It's only today I read about this so thought I 'd check with the experts!
Will now double-check if one or other method has any discounts or advantages.
Many thanks!

Swanny Tue 13-Jun-17 20:30:09

Nine surely she only needs to 'tap out' on the DLR? I have seen no facilities for this on tube or bus.

Swanny Tue 13-Jun-17 20:32:02

... Other than to operate the exit barriers on tube of course.

Grannyknot Tue 13-Jun-17 21:25:52

mcem a contactless card - I call mine a "wave" card grin - is all that is needed. It costs the same as an Oyster card, and is the cheapest way of travelling in London.

Important to remember to touch in and out on the yellow reader.

Grannyknot Tue 13-Jun-17 21:31:39

swanny all the buses have yellow swipe readers, you just touch in once on a bus (no checking out required).

My cousin visited recently, I gave her my debit card to use because she didn't have a contactless card (and because I have a Freedom Pass). We travelled on the Tube from Hammersmith to Covent Garden, then caught a bus to Warren Street area, then back on the Underground to Embankment, walked along the river and across to Southwark, back on the District Line to Hammersmith. I checked a bit nervously - total cost was £6 and some change.

mcem Tue 13-Jun-17 21:43:07

Thanks ladies. My advice about oyster cards was clearly out-of-date.
4 of them looking forward to a few days in London and (who knows why) the Celine Dion concert.