Gransnet forums

Travel

Minorca anyone ?

(7 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 18-Jul-17 14:26:18

Looking at the flight times from our nearest airport Minorca looks good for us maybe in September . I have been to Majorca but never Minora so any advice on resorts and hotel would be good. We like quite small resorts with good places to eat out at lunchtime and a good hotel minimum three star .

Eloethan Tue 18-Jul-17 15:44:02

Along with Kefalonia, Menorca is one of my favourite places and I much prefer it to Majorca.

It is, of course, smaller and much quieter so if you like somewhere quite buzzy, it may not appeal to you. I haven't been there for a few years but, from my recollection, there is a main road running through the island which you need to use to access the various beaches, some of which are a bit off the beaten track - but many are really lovely. There are a few naturist beaches.

It has lovely quiet roads, pretty little white houses and is not overbuilt.

I don't think the food is especially good but we are vegetarian (I am almost always and my husband is strictly so) so we always stay half board in hotels where there is plenty of salad and soup on the buffet. There is a particular resort - I think it's Fornells- which is, I believe, renowned for its seafood.

| particularly like Santo Thomas, which again is very quiet. The last time we went there was about 9 years ago. We have only ever stayed at the Victoria Playa but it is a Thomson "kids club" hotel so is very much geared up for children so I wouldn't recommend it for couples or anyone needing quiet and relaxation! I believe there are other good hotels nearby though.

I'm not sure what the public transport is like - I think it's probably not that great. We always hire a car as there are so many nice places to go to and the roads are quiet.

We've also stayed at Cala Blanca, which is OK, but I prefer Santo Tomas. Cala Galdana is beautiful, with a lovely bay and beach, but can sometimes be a bit smelly - it's definitely worth a day trip though.

Cuidedella is a very nice town - it used to be the capital. Mahon (the capital) has a very large harbour and the boat trips rounds are really enjoyable.

whitewave Tue 18-Jul-17 16:24:28

We have been there once and loved it.

jillyco Tue 18-Jul-17 17:56:55

I agree with Eloethan - we had a lovely relaxing week in Santo Tomas last September. It is a quiet resort and you can walk along the promenade from one end to the other, which I did every morning. We were self-catering so I can't comment on the hotels, but there were enough restaurants for us to eat out somewhere different each night.

hildajenniJ Tue 18-Jul-17 18:22:55

We've only been once, but loved Menorca. We took the children to a self catering complex in Cala'n Porter. This was years ago, the children were in primary school! I can recommend the island, it's beautiful.

TerriBull Tue 18-Jul-17 18:32:03

We had a holiday in Santo Tomas when our children were quite young, I do remember it being very nice. It was a break with tradition for us, back then we had spent most summers either driving to France or Italy with the kids in the back asking "are we there yet" at frequent intervals This was their first flight. Where we stayed was very nice and our children had loads of fun in the swimming pool and we had some lovely family evening meals watching the sun go down over the beach, that is what I remember the most as well as visiting Mahon and Cuidad de Menorca. Both worth a visit. I did think that nearby Cala Galdana looked impressive and remember thinking at the time, if I came back, that's where I'd stay. I believe it is supposed to be windy in the winter, but the weather in September will probably be ideal.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Jul-17 18:43:14

Been there two or maybe three times liked it a lot it's a lovely island I would expect you to enjoy it