Gransnet forums

Travel

Easy camping recipes

(34 Posts)
minimo Sat 19-Aug-17 09:46:41

We are going on a 4 day camping trip with my son, dil and 2 grandkids. It's my first time doing this for many years! We're taking turns cooking. Any good ideas on simple recipes for camping? Preferably with minimal pans so minimal washing up! We will have a camping stove and we are allowed to bbq.

Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 09:49:18

Pizza deliveries??? smile

MawBroon Sat 19-Aug-17 09:54:38

Pub lunches.

minimo Sat 19-Aug-17 09:55:22

Ha - if it was just the grown-ups I'd seriously consider it. But the parents are v keen to get the kids away from city life. To the point that I may have to dissuade them from foraging grin

ninathenana Sat 19-Aug-17 09:58:11

Bbq bangers and mash
Bbq chicken skewers with peppers or whatever and savoury rice
Spag bol made with bought sauce

cornergran Sat 19-Aug-17 10:04:41

Pasta is our family fall back position in these situations. Those ready filled parcels or ordinary pasta with some cooked bacon and sauce. Can you have plenty of cheese to grate on top- or one of those ready grated bags - plus salad if they will eat it? Having said that my vote would be for the pub smile.

kittylester Sat 19-Aug-17 12:35:12

Fish and chips!!

annsixty Sat 19-Aug-17 12:48:18

We used to take tins of M&S curries and chicken in a white sauce. A few new potatoes or rice which can be bought now ready cooked in sachets and heated up in a frying pan.I would take a prepared casserole which you can transport either frozen or cooked the day before and reheated.
I certainly didn't turn my nose up at convenience food then as I do now. Holidays are for enjoying.

Anniebach Sat 19-Aug-17 13:10:28

Thinking back to my camping days with cubs and scouts , best not to really, thank heaven for sausages and Welsh Rarebit without the beer and cawl

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 13:18:14

Will you have an electrical hook-up?

glammanana Sat 19-Aug-17 13:21:45

All in one pan corned beef hash with lots of onions buy some freshly baked baguettes and load up with butter and tuck in and enjoy

Gagagran Sat 19-Aug-17 13:45:44

I was a Guider in the 1970s-80s and went to many Guide camps where I cooked for a week over a wood fire, 3 x times a day (plus a hot bedtime drink) for 20+ guides and leaders.

One favourite was "Beanio" which is baked beans plus any other tinned beans you may like with chunks of potato and onion and chopped up cooked sausages. Savoury mince with rice or potatoes, corned beef hash, stew and variations on, all formed part of the menu. Hot dogs were easy to do too.

There are some recipe sites on google for scout camps which might inspire ideas! Hope you enjoy it and the family too. sunshine

LyndaW Sat 19-Aug-17 13:50:10

Don't forget to take marshmallows grin Beanio sounds delicious gagagran. Might not wait till a camping trip to try that one out.

minimo Sat 19-Aug-17 13:53:38

Excellent ideas here - thanks. I could probably prepare the mash for the sausage and mash in advance and freeze? Should thaw in day or so and be ready for just heating up on camping stove. Thanks for the marshmallow reminder Lynda!
No electricity there anya.

Norah Sat 19-Aug-17 15:33:43

Wurst and bottled potato salat and bottled red cabbage, beer, raddler, fizzy drink. German food is lovely at a camp.

whitewave Sat 19-Aug-17 15:39:25

I used to love camping. The smell of the tent, sitting out of an evening wrapped up looking at the stars.
Really you are all day in the fresh air and it is a completely natural existence with daylight and darkness.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go but not sure my body would ever manage getting off the ground!

Cherrytree59 Sat 19-Aug-17 16:23:16

If using a barbeque
bananas left in skins slit down middle with giant chocolate button inserted then wrapped in tinfoil and chucked on the Barbiesmile

JackyB Sat 19-Aug-17 17:13:44

I once wrote a blog on this subject. The main rule is: cut everything up before cooking. Saves gas, because it cooks quicker, and the food will not cool down (as it is wont to do if you are eating outdoors) whilst you are cutting it up on the plate - you can just fork or spoon it straight in while it's still hot.

So, basically, just vary stews. If it's really hot out, just chop everything up and put it in a huge bowl, mix it all together and eat it as a salad with some crusty bread.

In both cases, one knife, one board, one saucepan or bowl should be all that is required.

A pressure cooker is a marvellous thing to have with you. Also saves gas!

My mother's camping speciality was "Pot mess". My cousins loved it, and it really was quick and easy. Just tins of veg, tomatoes (for the juice) and corned beef. Maybe start off with cubed potatoes, fry them for a bit, then empty the tins into the pot.

For the first day, I prepared a large stew some days before, and froze it. It defrosted on the journey and, what with pitching tents, connecting up gas cookers and pumping up mattresses, we could sit down to eat as soon as we were finished, as it was a ready meal with no preparation necessary, just needed heating up.

JackyB Wed 23-Aug-17 06:22:59

Crikey, I've just noticed that loads of posts came in whilst I was writing mine.

Serkeen Wed 23-Aug-17 06:33:06

If you have access to a BBQ lamb chops are lovely, even fish,

Sounds so much fun, hope you enjoy it smile

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 07:15:31

This year we took dried mushrooms with us for the first time - so easy to rehydrate and a great addition to one-pot wonders including bacon / chicken, tomatoes, beans and garlic. DH cooked most nights. We bought chips from a van on site one night, but we did invest in a second gas stove - having two rings makes all the difference. We sometimes supplemented with hunks of fresh bread, but had a lot of pasta / rice. Rustic and lovely!

I hope you have a wonderful time. We took our children camping all through their young lives and had the most wonderful 'simple' holidays. Looking forward to repeating the process when GS is a little older!

BRedhead59 Wed 23-Aug-17 10:48:31

One pot food like pasta with a sauce, baked beans, simple stews and yes BBQ. If you have a crock pot and access to electricity on the campsite you can get it ready and come back to it after a day walking or having fun.

GrannyAnnie2010 Wed 23-Aug-17 11:35:13

Do not do pasta. A pot of water takes ages to boil on a little gas stove. Bread with everything is your answer. If you have electric hookup, take a kettle - for cups of tea and the hot water bottles. Salad stuff with bread and butter is the easiest.

Sheilasue Wed 23-Aug-17 11:37:33

Definitely pub lunches or dinners. Pasta or Tilda rice can do that in the saucepan. I used to get baked beans with sausages in and ordinary baked beans.
Definitely a B&Q if the weather is good.

dumdum Wed 23-Aug-17 11:54:38

Chilli con carne....mince in saucepan plus onions and anything else you can lay your hands on, tin of tomatoes, baked beans, chilli spice ( or a commercial sauce), boil it all up, cook, serve with bag of salad and baguette.