Gransnet forums

Travel

Whitstable and/or Margate?

(21 Posts)
KatyK Thu 24-Aug-17 15:46:08

DH and myself are thinking of taking a short break in the UK and want to visit a part that we've never been to before. Does anyone have any idea of what Whitstable and/or Margate are like please?

devongirl Thu 24-Aug-17 15:50:59

Both these places are candidates for my retirement so I shall be v interested too!

downsized Thu 24-Aug-17 16:18:09

I can't speak for Whitstable, but Margate is a dump sad

KatyK Thu 24-Aug-17 16:20:56

Thank you downsized This is what we were afraid of! We have no idea, hence the question.

Alima Thu 24-Aug-17 16:24:18

I have never been to Whitstable but want to go as many people have said it is lovely. Margate seems to have drawn the short straw but they are trying to invest in it, the Tate etc. Thing is, if you stayed in Whitstable, Broadstairs, Margate, Ramsgate and Canterbury are all fairly close. I think it would be worth a visit.

Ilovecheese Thu 24-Aug-17 16:39:08

Whitstable. Margate is a bit bleak.

nanaK54 Thu 24-Aug-17 16:40:45

Personally I love Whistable - it is very 'up and coming', however Margate not so much......

Welshwife Thu 24-Aug-17 16:41:29

Last time I went to Whitstable it was lovel - quiet but still nice - place to get fresh crabs and things. Friends of mine go there all the time.
Not too far away is Deal - that is a lovely town - old fashioned sort of high street etc.

suzied Thu 24-Aug-17 17:21:17

Sandwich is lovely as is Rye a little further round the coast much nicer than either Whitstable or Margate.

KatyK Thu 24-Aug-17 17:21:36

Thank you everyone. That's very helpful.

nanaK54 Thu 24-Aug-17 17:42:44

Agree that Rye is beautiful as is Canterbury.
Do let us know what you decide on smile

joannapiano Thu 24-Aug-17 17:58:24

My in-laws come from Westgate and we know the area well.
Don't move to Margate or Cliftonville,
They lived in Sandwich for a while, and that's OK.
I would move to Broadstairs.

SueDonim Thu 24-Aug-17 18:22:21

Whitstable is a much better bet than Margate. We started off married life in Whitable. It's a bit more central, too, than Margate for getting to other places.

If you're not too bothered about being by the sea, nearby Faversham is an interesting little town.

KatyK Fri 25-Aug-17 10:12:03

Thanks everyone.

ninathenana Fri 25-Aug-17 13:35:05

Avoid Margate. All other places mentioned have their merits. Im not that familiar with Sandwich but H and I like Whitstable

KatyK Fri 25-Aug-17 13:36:30

Looks like it's Whitstable then! Thanks all.

Eloethan Fri 25-Aug-17 17:30:46

Whitstable is nice, and so is Sandwich. I've only passed by Margate and, by all accounts, that was probably the best thing to do.

However, Margate seems to be quite fashionable these days and is said to have improved.

Personally, I prefer the Sussex coast - even Hastings, which many people also say is a dump.

petra Fri 25-Aug-17 17:40:15

If you like good food, it's whistable.
Margate was the place to go for a beano in my mis- spent youth. Happy days.

Morgana Fri 25-Aug-17 22:41:01

We have been on holiday to Whitstable for the last few years. Love it.
Quite small and quaint.
Not far from Canterbury
And Broadstairs is lovely too.

Imperfect27 Sat 26-Aug-17 07:45:00

Have lived in both in recent years. Be aware Whitstable is difficult for parking at weekends and B&B at a premium - nearby Faversham may be better value for money and has a lot of character, a nice antiques market on the first Sunday of every month and good pubs / restaurants. All places are very near Canterbury.

IF you go Margate way and like cinema, check out the Carlton at nearby Westgate / tiny cinema in Broadstairs - much better experiences than the big named places.

Seasalter - between Whitstable and Faversham - boasts the renowned Sportsman restaurant if you are foodies.

Enjoy xx

KatyK Sat 26-Aug-17 12:50:52

Thanks for the information everyone.