Gransnet forums

Travel

taxiphobia

(46 Posts)
allule Fri 25-Aug-17 13:49:00

Anyone else wary of using taxis? I would love to give up driving and parking, and using taxis would be easier and cheaper, but I keep putting off trying.
Younger family members use them without a second thought, but they were never part of our life, and I worry about having suitable cash...how much to tip.....
I'd love to have an account with a taxi firm, and pay a monthly account, but suppose this would take away the convenience.
Am I hopelessly out of date?

MawBroon Fri 25-Aug-17 14:47:12

Do you live in an area served by Uber taxis?
It is all done direct from your bank account, no money changes hands in the taxi at all.
Alternatively a minicab account would be a good idea. Minicabs are usually cheaper than black cabs too.

wildswan16 Fri 25-Aug-17 14:55:51

Personally I would steer clear of Uber - I really don't trust their drivers are properly controlled. I gave up my car quite a while ago and decided it would be much cheaper to use taxis when required. I never tip unless they have actually helped with suitcases etc.

Many taxis are now enabled so that you can use a credit or debit card by machine.

Why not ask the youngsters how much the fare is from x to y etc so that would give you some idea. Or go online as many firms now have websites. I do know a relative of mine has an account with a local firm - she got to know the drivers and feels very safe with them.

Ilovecheese Fri 25-Aug-17 15:05:57

I use a local small minicab firm, not uber. After a few times they sort of get to know you and you see some of the drivers a few times, so feel secure. As for tipping, about 10% or say the fare was £8 and I had a tenner, I would say "just give me a £1 change"
When my daughter went into labour and wanted me at the hospital I told the taxi switchboard and the taxi arrived within minutes.

tanith Fri 25-Aug-17 15:09:25

Most cab companies will give you a price for your journey when you phone. We always get a price and give a couple of quid if the driver is helpful.

MissAdventure Fri 25-Aug-17 15:14:59

I use taxis fairly regularly, and I can understand that its all a bit daunting, if you've not done it.
It really is easy though, and so worth it, for the luxury of arriving somewhere within a few minutes, rather than 30..

annsixty Fri 25-Aug-17 15:46:46

I was like you allule taxis were never part of my life, but now I use them at least once a week. I use a local firm and
The drivers are almost always kind and helpful. Tipping becomes a part of life and because my journeys are very short seem generous in % but not in amount. The drivers bring my shopping bags into the porch. Recently on a short trip to London we used uber but I have heard some things about them that I wouldn't use them regularly. I only use black cabs from a rank in the city as a necessity..

cornergran Fri 25-Aug-17 15:53:05

Really silly question, would you sit in the front or the back? I know, it's daft but it would worry me hmm.

Ilovecheese Fri 25-Aug-17 15:57:33

In the back

annsixty Fri 25-Aug-17 16:07:15

With my local firm I sit in the front with the driver but in the back with large firms. Yo can't sit in the front with black cabs and there is a screen between you. You put money into a "dish thingy" and get your change the same way.

annsixty Fri 25-Aug-17 16:09:19

Don't limit your life by not trying it please!!
You will get very used to it and help the economy. That is my excuse anyway.

MissAdventure Fri 25-Aug-17 16:23:08

You would think that taxi firms might do a 'taster session' for new customers.

KatyK Fri 25-Aug-17 16:28:34

We use uber and have never had any trouble. We also have a local taxi firm which is very reliable. If I am on my own, I always sit in the back.

MissAdventure Fri 25-Aug-17 16:34:22

You can ask the driver if its ok to sit in the front, and they never mind. Its all very casual, and at the end of the drive their meter will show them and you how much you owe. If its dark, they will put their lights on so you can see to get your money out, and they carry change for most notes. Then you can round up the amount, or not. Its not expected that you'll tip.

Helen369 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:34:06

I haven't used Uber in the UK but on a recent trip to Cape Town to visit our younger daughter we used them exclusively and it was a fantastic service. No cash involved, they turned up punctually and you can follow the route on your phone.
Some areas have a dial a ride service available where you pay a joining fee and then book as needed. I have a disabled friend who uses them successfully. Also our local area has a community service whereby volunteers transport older people to and from appointments etc. There is a charge of course but you may feel more comfortable with something like that if it was available in your area.

Jojo243 Sat 26-Aug-17 09:39:36

We have a scheme in Edinburgh called Dial a Ride which is approved drivers . It's brilliant AND subsidised! Failing that sort of thing not being available in your area phone your local cab companies and ask. Ask them what if any provision they make for older people...mobility..discount...loyalty schemes etc. If they are any good there will be one who has and you go with them. It isn't always necessary to tip a driver unless they have lugged your shopping up 10 flights but I usually tip around £2-3 pounds if journey costing over £10 and they have been chatty and helpful. It is worthwhile considering taxis as it is cheaper than running a car. Dour some research and find a regular firm and I'm sure you will enjoy the freedom to look out the window as they take the strain. Jo x

radicalnan Sat 26-Aug-17 09:56:27

Check out the voluntary options first or Dial a Rides if you need hospital type visit or regular shop trips and the like, they are cheaper.

However, I am considering giving up driving, I don't enjoy it and the local, rural, taxi firm is very kind, it gives people proper jobs, you meet new drivers every so often, hear about local events and so on.

I find it useful when I am not well too as then I am able to take some pain relief and still go out.

I shall not miss the expense of an old jalopy or the worry that it will get yet another problem. I use my free bus pass sometimes to go to town then taxi home when I am tired.

My dad refused to do anything but drive himself and missed out on so much, I am starting early exploring my options.

Witzend Sat 26-Aug-17 10:25:25

Maybe there is a local taxi service where you could have an account. We have a local firm who'll do this - not that we use them very much now except for airport runs - and their system now knows your address from your phone number, so you don't need to repeat it every time.

After my mother gave up her car at 80 - she had become nervous of driving in traffic - we urged her to take taxis instead. She could have taken so many with what it had cost her in insurance, MOTs, servicing, never mind petrol.

But she just would not - to her they were an extravagance, and although she wasn't over-frugal in most matters this was just an extravagance too far.
It was a great shame, since she became increasingly housebound and isolated - she was never a very sociable type anyway - and relied on me or my brother to take her shopping when we were visiting. Not that we minded that at all, but I have a feeling that her increasing isolation, and ever increasing reluctance to go out at all, was a factor in her eventual dementia.

annifrance Sat 26-Aug-17 10:39:46

Tunbridge Wells station has a taxi rank with almost exclusively Kurdish and Armenian drivers. I cannot sing their praises enough. Friendly, helpful, never surly and interesting. I hope they all stay after b----y brexit.

Usually sit in the front unless it is a miserable old white alpha male. Then I stick my nose in the air and wait for him tonopen the back door and don't tip him. Usually tip 10%.

Lupatria Sat 26-Aug-17 10:56:52

my taxi firm here in poole have an app which i've downloaded on to my mobile. you can book your rides on that and it tells you how much you'll have to pay and also how far away your driver is.
i don't tip as a rule but if the fare is, say, £8.80 then i'll round it up - not a lot but as a senior citizen it's as much as i can afford!
i always sit in the front as i can't bend my knees enough to get in the back - one knee replacement and one knee with very bad arthritis.
oh, and this particular taxi firm gives a 10% discount to those over 60 so it all helps.
i'm unable to drive at the moment so i have to wait until my daughter can take me places [she lives with me but works three days a week] and i've found that a taxi ride to the doctor is £20 there and back - horrendous!!

IngeJones Sat 26-Aug-17 11:09:36

Addison Lee are the next best thing to a black cab in terms of professionalism and they are not all that much more expensive than any high street cab shop. Tipping I base on a 10% guideline, but flexibly to round up the total to the nearest £5

1moleta3 Sat 26-Aug-17 11:10:38

When in London needing a cab - I always choose a London cab at least they have done the 'knowledge' and know where they are going and not much more than Uber. Had nasty surprises of near collisions and going in the wrong direction with London uber drivers.

mancgirl Sat 26-Aug-17 12:00:09

Holiday spring clean.

We're going away this afternoon and I've spent all morning doing a spring clean before we go! Bed was stripped and laundered yesterday, ironed and put away. Just having a coffee and a catch up on GN, but while sitting here I'm thinking is it just me that does this?! It's not like anyone will be here staying while we're away, just daily visits to check all ok. I could have spent the morning browsing on here insteadsmile

mancgirl Sat 26-Aug-17 12:05:01

So sorryblush didn't mean to post this on this thread, don't know how to delete!

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 12:18:54

I never grew up using taxis but have used them throughout my older life time when needs be never thought twice about it and I always sit in the front so I can have a friendly chat with the taxi driver met some very interesting ones

You cant delete manegirl GN don't think we re old enough to be trusted