I loved Rome (in March) and would like to go back there. Lake Como is just so beautiful and peaceful. Definitely on my list for a return visit. Perhaps combined with Lake Maggiore?
Domestic Abuse, Victims and Perpetrators UK
If you could visit anywhere in the world (and you are allowed to fantasise about getting there in a blink of an eye), where would you go to and why?
I would like to go to Rome - but not in the heat of the summer. I would love to drink in the history, artwork and golden architecture, cast a coin in the Trevi fountain when all the tourist (except me!) have gone home, get neck ache looking at the Sistine chapel ceiling and dawdle across St Peter's square eating gelato ...
I loved Rome (in March) and would like to go back there. Lake Como is just so beautiful and peaceful. Definitely on my list for a return visit. Perhaps combined with Lake Maggiore?
My first choice would be Canada, a train ride across the rockies if not then Florence Italy went there at 15 and loved it
Definitely NZ. Every landscape/weather in the world, all in two islands.
New Zealand is on my bucket list but I doubt I'll ever get there as DH has health issues. My son has been there and is happy to take me back but there would be no-one to take care of DH . Maybe one day, fingers crossed.
Difficult as having watched so many TV documentaries of far away places I would be spoilt for choice.
Were I asked how to get there it would have to be Concorde.
Living on the north coast of Cornwall the sea on my doorstep.not literally, I could set my watch when my windows shook as this beautiful piece of machinery gathered up her supersonic speed over the Atlantic enroute to her after noon visit to NY.
I did eventually get to NY but had I have known this fabulous lady was soon to be grounded for ever I would have gone on bended knee to my bank.
I went to Rome a few years ago with my d we went in October half term, I worked in a school then
It was lovely and warm and we did all the things you spoke about. Please go you will love it.
I would love to visit Florence next.
I loved Paris but I wouldn't go there now. Maybe St Michel-en-Greve in Brittany - there's a lovely camp site atop the cliffs.
For some reason Finland has always fascinated me - the forests, lakes and mountains.
My journey of choice would be to "do" the Silk Road from start to finish - ideally on horseback. [i am terrified of horses!] But the idea of seeing places like Isfahan, and Tashkent thrills me.
DH wouldn't go anywhere like that, so unless he drops dead in the next few months, I am very unlike to go - anno domini and all that
We had our 'trip of a lifetime' 6 years ago when we went to Kenya, safaris on the wonderful Masai Mara, hot air balloon ride over it, champagne breakfast overlooking the hippos wallowing in the river. Followed by utter luxury on the coast and swimming in the Indian Ocean. We also loved the Amalfi coast and beautiful Positano, would like to go back and I also long to see Florence. We're hoping to go to Canada next year with one of my sisters and her DH on one of those glass topped trains through the Rockies. Just realising we're running short of time to fit some of these journeys in!!
How about the Galapagos Islands? DH and I were lucky enough to visit them a few years ago and absolutely loved it - birds and animals with no fear of humans, and beautiful sea and the islands themselves. I know it is now more full of visitors than when we visited, so not sure what it is like now. And though it is so near the equator, there are some times of year better than others - so if you plan to visit, check the likely weather in different seasons, especially for high winds. I'd cheerfully go back! But DH is not keen - there are so many other places to visit.And it tests your budget.
I'd like to do the trans Siberian rail journey. I want to see Lake Baikal having read Consolations of the Forest by Sylvain Tesson.
Glassortwo ! Do go to Bellagio, it’s just amazing, and Italy is my favourite place on earth. We stayed in Menagio, and had day trips on the water bus to all the villages, but Bellagio is def the best. My dream has always been the Carnival in Rio and now am retired, that’s where I am off to in February. I won’t be in a bikini these days with feathers in my hair, but I will be doing the salsa in style !!
Go to Rome if you can, it is magical, but go in the early Spring (avoiding Easter) or Autumn to avoid the crush. It is truly inspiring, but so is Vienna I think, which happens to be my very favourite city.
Another vote for New Zealand.
Oo yes whale watching would be wonderful.
Feel I have been taken around the world with all these replies!
DH's, children, LOVERS ...whoever you want can come with you by the by
.
Tessa101 and others, I want to go to Rome more than ever now! Having recently left teaching, I am not tied to pricy school holiday booking times anymore so this is more of a possibility. But I have got to do update my passport first!
When my wife was fitter, we travelled over most of Europe, and a few far-flung places as well. But the one city I yearn to return to is Madrid. For history, for art galleries, for cafe culture - Madrid beats all the other European capitol cities. Try it.
Imperfect we’ve just come back from Rome... oh wow. It’s never been on my tick list but it was a surprise treat.
I’ve visited many places but this is truly beautiful, the buildings are breathtaking and wherever you are you are surrounded by so many stunning buildings and so much history.We stayed 5 minutes from Vatican so we were central to most places. We were there 5 days and saw Vatican and colleseum on guided tours. Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, River Of four fountains St. Peter’s square the list is endless because as you go for a wonder you come across another piece of history. And tucked in next to them are quant little coffee shops on cobbled streets just to add to the beauty. I definitely recommend a visit, yes it obviously is a tourist spot but it never ruined any of our ventures. Oh forgot to mention many hotels have roof top cafes and the views are spectacular. Oh yes to answer your post my place I’d like to see is Hawaii. And travel on orient express.
I achieved my dream visit to Australia, a few years back, spending 7 weeks visiting family, friends and sightseeing. It lived up to expectation! Now I wish we had visited New Zealand too, awhile we were on the other side of the world. Never shall - as we are now in our eighties and husband is quite disabled, but heigh-ho, I’ve got happy memories!
Love Rome, Florence and Venice. Have been to the first two once and Venice twelve times now. Wish I was there now 'in the blink of an eye'. The weather, which is on my BBC 'Favourites', is perfect.
The Grand Canyon....we went on "Millennium Eve" and over night the snow started... we woke on New Years Day to 2 foot of snow and the "park" would be closed to all except 4 wheel drive vehicles... so we had to leave ... you literally could not see 3 foot in front of you...
The landscape was phenomenal, haunting, awe inspiring ... absolutely wonderful, in my mind forever ... and I'd love to just find my self on the "rim" without the hassle of the journey ...
I would love to see the Boxing Day Ashes in Australia but would feel mean leaving 2 boys who are adults but still living at home to own devises over Christmas and they say they don't want to come. I will have to make do watching on TV again.
I always wanted to see where my Dad was born in a remote part of NW S Africa and where his father served invthe Cape Police and where he was killed & buried by CWGC in south (now) Namibia. No on from the family had been there and I never dreamed I would. But this summer we did for our 70th birthdays treat. We organised it on-line ourselves and I even drove a massive 4x4 for the first time (no other traffic helped). We even survived a virulent flu outbreak in one plave we stayed. It was more than I ever dreamed of and more than I dreamed we could do. Hasn't stopped the dreaming though. Other 2 places I want to visit are where a GGAunt was a missionaty teacher from 1895 in (now) Botswana and where First Fleeter Convict ancestors landed in Norfolk Island, a long way off NSW in 1788.
I'd love to see the northern lights.
I would absolutely love to visit Alaska. In my dream I would stay a whole year so that I could experience all the seasons.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.