Gransnet forums

Travel

Where in the world?

(80 Posts)
Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:58:52

If you could visit anywhere in the world (and you are allowed to fantasise about getting there in a blink of an eye), where would you go to and why?

I would like to go to Rome - but not in the heat of the summer. I would love to drink in the history, artwork and golden architecture, cast a coin in the Trevi fountain when all the tourist (except me!) have gone home, get neck ache looking at the Sistine chapel ceiling and dawdle across St Peter's square eating gelato ...

tanith Mon 09-Oct-17 20:04:43

Australia, its been my ambition for many years don't think it's going to happen now.

glassortwo Mon 09-Oct-17 20:06:10

Bellagio on Lake Como, we visited Lake Lugano this summer and spent some time over at Lake Como and a trip over to Bellagio, and I felt a huge pull to go back just me and DH, its haunting me.

kittylester Mon 09-Oct-17 20:16:18

We went ro Rome 47 years ago on honeymoon. It was wonderful but I have heard that it is now dirty and too touristy. We keep wondering whether to go again but have decided to leave it to our memories.

I'd love to re do the Rhine Cruise we did a few years ago - it was perfect.

M0nica Mon 09-Oct-17 20:17:27

The Yemen, I find their architecture and towns mesmerising.

Sadly, I am unlikely to be able to visit it in my lifetime. It is now a broken society, destroyed physically and morally by arab powers hiding their power play behind warring local factions.

PamelaJ1 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:21:41

I went to Rome when I was 5, 59 years ago on our way back from Nigeria.
We have cine film of us all by ourselves by the Trevi fountain. The olympics were due to be held so they had covered the statues 'bits' with leaves. (I think that's true)
I would love to travel north from Vancouver on a cruise.

Ailsa43 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:30:28

I'd love to go to New Zealand especially the Cook Islands but it's never likely to happen.

I've been all over Europe, lived in several European countries and mostly recently, so it holds no excitement for me, but since I was a child for some reason I've always wanted to visit NZ

DanniRae Mon 09-Oct-17 20:34:41

I would love to see Niagara Falls but doubt I will because I am not a very happy traveller. However, if I could get there 'in the blink of an eye' then that would be ok.

JackyB Mon 09-Oct-17 20:37:28

I hated Rome. Would probably be content with somewhere in the West country. I had an aunt who lived practically on the banks of the Tamar - many happy memories.

downtoearth Mon 09-Oct-17 20:41:40

I would like to go to South Africa ...would love to go on a safari and see animals in the wild game parks..Italy would be a second choice..unless we win the lottery none of these dreams will happen

lemongrove Mon 09-Oct-17 20:45:56

Have been to Rome several times, love it, my favourite city.?

lemongrove Mon 09-Oct-17 20:47:34

Still, if I can go anywhere in the blink of an eye ( may my DH come too?) it would be to Canada, stay there for around six weeks, touring.

whitewave Mon 09-Oct-17 21:32:43

glass booked to go there next year!

I would go back to the Maldives I think to do more diving. That was the most wonderful experience of my life I think.

We never go back anywhere though as there is so much to see in this lovely world.

kittylester Mon 09-Oct-17 21:40:41

Thing is - it would have to be in a blink of an eye because I can't stand the travelling to anywhere now. Airports drive me dotty and actually flying anywhere names ny bones melt.

Marydoll Mon 09-Oct-17 22:24:28

We were in Rome in September. It was our 30th visit. I would live there in the blink of an eye.
We are boring, same hotel, same restaurants, but we never tire of it. Already booked flights and hotel for next September.

ninathenana Tue 10-Oct-17 06:57:13

Hard to choose between Canada and NZ. My paternal GF was a merchant seamen and travelled the world, he always said NZ was his favourite place.

DanniRae Tue 10-Oct-17 07:58:05

My dad was in NZ during the war and he loved the place - I vividly remember him speaking of the Hot Springs of Rotorua. Must have seemed like an amazing place for a boy from Stockwell!

KatyK Tue 10-Oct-17 10:24:55

I love Venice and have been a few times but long to go back. Another favourite is Lake Garda. Also Seville is lovely. I don't think there is anywhere I haven't been that I long to go to but I do daydream about visiting my favourite places again.

bigbird1 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:26:06

Hi glassortwo. I know what you mean about Lake Como, I first went about 9 years ago and have been back several times since,as I think it is the most beautiful place. Just a tip, Shearings do trips to stay in Caddenabia at very reasonable prices. It is just a 20 minute ferry ride to Bellagio and many other places around the lake.

SillyNanny321 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:36:42

Will sound totally mad to anyone else but I would love to go Whale Watching anywhere along the Salish sea to see the Southern Residents live instead of only on the whale watching web sites. These animals are seriously endangered so would love to see them & all the other whales too!

hulahoop Tue 10-Oct-17 10:47:03

Think it would have to be New Zealand

SusieB50 Tue 10-Oct-17 10:59:59

In a blink of an eye would be amazing , I would love to go to S Africa ( my mother's birth place ) and see my cousins and visit all the places she talked about , My DH won't fly and can't be left for too long so in a blink of an eye here I come !

icanhandthemback Tue 10-Oct-17 11:04:30

Imperfect27, do Rome, you'll love it. We did it this summer and it was amazing. Now I have ticked this off my bucket list, I would love to go to China but suspect I have more chance of going to Barcelona!

Norah Tue 10-Oct-17 11:05:23

I loved Greece, but it's losing appeal of late. NYC is lovely.

VIOLETTE Tue 10-Oct-17 11:06:52

Russia ...the country fascinates me ....not likely to happen though ! Have to watch documentaries instead