Gransnet forums

Travel

electronic ticket

(24 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 13-Nov-17 15:13:38

HI I have recieved this today for a holiday next week to India. .Do i just print it off to take to the airport or just show the ticket on my phone when i get there. I must admit i was expecting an actual ticket in the post!! My final travel details arrived by email too they show the number of the electronic ticket so i am assuming they come along too. Sorry to be so unworldly but have never had to deal with this sort of thing before and dont want to do anything wrong. Thanks in advance.

ffinnochio Mon 13-Nov-17 15:23:25

Print it off, plus all travel details, and keep the info. on the phone for back up. Haven’t received any ‘proper’ tickets, as in the old way, for quite a few years.
Have a great trip and don’t forget your passport! wink

tanith Mon 13-Nov-17 15:25:15

You should be able to just scan your phone but I'd print it just in case you never know you could mislay/forget the phone.

J52 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:48:49

I print everything off, twice! Recently one copy of the bar code on my boarding card would not scan, fortunately the second copy did.

Smithy Mon 13-Nov-17 15:50:50

Agree J52, I do that as well. Just in case.

PamelaJ1 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:00:09

So do I J52. What happened to the paperless world??

BlueBelle Mon 13-Nov-17 16:55:52

J52 I do that too just in case I thought it was just me but last time I got in conversation with a young man sitting next to me who said he d done it for the first time on his phone I replied I liked a printed back up and he said don’t worry I ve got two phones with it on in case ?

Pittcity Mon 13-Nov-17 18:27:34

If it's just a flight ticket you only need to show your passport. You will need a hoarding pass in either paper or electronic form which you get when you check in for the flight.

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:34:14

I always print everything off and put it in plastic sleeves in order.
When you get to the airport you have to print off your own luggage tags etc - and then you may find that a new boarding pass will print too!

travelsafar Mon 13-Nov-17 19:11:38

Thanks to everyone who has replied.I have printed it al off and put it on my phone as well. I will check in online next week and try to book our seats on the plane as well. Is there a charge for booking seats early does anyone know we are going with Virgin.

chelseababy Mon 13-Nov-17 19:53:03

I always email everything to myself and brother so there is a back up in the "ether" just in case!

Marydoll Mon 13-Nov-17 20:05:41

My DH and I both keep electronic copies on our phones and printed copies as back up. I must admit to being a "worry guts, about these things.
It's not the tickets that are the problem for me. I'm so small that when they take the photo at customs, the camera can never find me!

Marydoll Mon 13-Nov-17 20:08:11

travelsafar I don't know if this will help.
www.virginatlantic.com/in/en/virgin-experience/cabins/economy/seating.

NfkDumpling Mon 13-Nov-17 20:17:08

We just paid for our holiday in Norway and I asked about the e-tickets. We’re not even getting those now! We can either check in on line 24 hours before we leave or just show our passports at check-in! It just doesn’t feel right! Especially as we’re flying from our little local airport to Schipol and then on to Bergen!

NfkDumpling Mon 13-Nov-17 20:20:13

I always email everything to my Hotmail address too. And keep paper copies. And take photos of our luggage in case it goes missing especially as I understand that you now can check your own bags in at Heathrow. I don’t want the responsibility of putting the labels on my bags!

Pittcity Mon 13-Nov-17 20:57:34

Self check in at Heathrow is easy. If I can do it anyone can nfk.

JackyB Mon 13-Nov-17 20:59:33

At most airports you have to show your boarding pass to go through security, and then again to get on the plane. To check in you only need your passport.

I use the boarding pass on my phone screen these days, but have a print-out in my bag just in case the phone packs up on me or something else goes wrong.

At home we have an inkjet printer. I have used this in the past (back in the days before you had the barcode on your phone.) Once or twice, the airport scanner has not been able to read the inkjet printout. So, if you have access to one, print it out on a laser printer. The inkjet is possibly a little fuzzy round the edges, even though the naked eye can't tell the difference.

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 00:01:24

And take photos of our luggage in case it goes missing especially as I understand that you now can check your own bags in at Heathrow. I don’t want the responsibility of putting the labels on my bags!
NfK & Pittcity
a member of staff came to help us but even he got it wrong and didn't print my luggage tags and the nice girl there checked us in so we got even more boarding passes (card, not flimsy paper) and she dealt with our luggage . So much easier!

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Nov-17 06:47:47

I expect I shall do what I do in supermarkets or B&Q when there's no choice but to use the DIY checkout. Stand and look helpless. There has to be some advantage in getting old! (Those machines just don't like me)

MotherHubbard Tue 14-Nov-17 06:57:03

When we flew to America last year with Virgin we registered with their flying club to become members, it’s free, and we were then able to check in 3 days before the flight instead of 24 hours.

Humbertbear Tue 14-Nov-17 08:20:28

I have started using Mobile tickets on Virgin trains. The barcode appears in the app. Saves scrabbling round for pieces of paper. It’s fine as long as the conductor doesn’t try to clip the phone.

travelsafar Tue 14-Nov-17 14:39:54

ooh thanks for the tip Mother Hubbard.x

Menopaws Tue 14-Nov-17 17:03:21

Marydoll, now you have an excuse to get out your Slade platform boots surely.?

Waveney Tue 14-Nov-17 17:49:07

Be careful with train tickets on your phone - not all train companies will accept them ( they say you have to have printed the tickets), and I have seen people forced to pay for a new ticket. I am rather old fashioned, and buy my tickets at the railway station!