Gransnet forums

Travel

Capsule holiday wardrobe!

(7 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 17-Nov-17 16:33:41

What is the minimum amount of clothes you would take for a week in a nice hotel I am so aware, that everything I pack I have to lug around. Having a bad shoulder the prospect is daunting.

HildaW Fri 17-Nov-17 17:14:16

Everyone is different but I tend to be governed by how sociable a trip is - if I am going to be meeting up with other people regularly I prefer to have a few more 'outfits' otherwise I'm happy to take decent well cut basics and just mix and match tops and accessories. Also if lugging is a problem I'd invest in something with wheels - my back can be unpredictable so I've got a decent but smallish case that wheels well (some cheap ones are a nightmare). Another good tip I follow was to stick to one main colour and make sure everything sort of matches.
I also have to admit to being a fairly recent convert to the brand Rohan - they do outdoor and travel clothes that can seem a bit expensive but if you watch their sales you can build up a decent travel wardrobe of smart trousers, easy to wear dresses and tops that pack really well, are very light even though extremely hard wearing and also can be washed out and dried quickly. It just depends how much travelling you are doing as to whether its worth the investment.

phoenix Fri 17-Nov-17 17:25:35

I remember one particular trip when I absolutely had it sussed! 2 pairs of trousers, 1 skirt,mid length, slightly floaty (I.e. not tailored/fitted), a shirt type top that matched the skirt from the same range, matching fabric, which could be worn with either pair of trousers or of course it's skirt partner. A couple of other tops that could be interchanged with both pairs of trousers and the skirt.

Blazer for over during the day, passions for evening.

All based on navy, another blue and white.

Accessories might be the thing, earrings, necklaces, scarves etc, take up very little space and can have quite an effect on an outfit.

phoenix Fri 17-Nov-17 17:29:25

Damn predictive text! You may well have passions in the evening, but I meant PASHMINA!

Suki70 Fri 17-Nov-17 17:36:17

Passions grin grin

trisher Fri 17-Nov-17 18:23:40

Pack 2 pairs cotton/linen trousers, 2 vest tops, 2 short sleeved t-shirts, 2 long sleeved shirt tops, 1 longish skirt, 1 long sleeveless dress. Try to have a restricted colour basis. Black and white with perhaps a couple of bright pink things works well. Travel in short sleeved t-shirt and long sleeved t-shirt with long cardigan and jeans. You can mix and match loads of different outfits. Add a pashmina and some jewelery and you are set.

suzied Fri 17-Nov-17 19:16:42

Depends where you are going uk? Or abroad? Winter/ summer? Will you be eating in the hotel in the evenings? How smart is the hotel?