Gransnet forums

Travel

Crete

(9 Posts)
jura2 Mon 20-Nov-17 17:15:42

well we've never been- but dd2 and partner invited us to join them in June. The first week, before joining them in Rethymmon and Hania - we will have 1 week on the South-East coast- east of Terapetra. The wildest part I believe - and any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Tegan2 Mon 20-Nov-17 20:01:22

No advice other than the fact that's it's one of my favourite places in the world! I don't know the SE coast at all. We did go to a wonderful monastery near to Rethymmon [sp]; can't remember it's name. What I loved about places like that is that they're Venetian. After our first holiday there we tended to stay at Chania, and I used to walk each afternoon through the orange groves up a to small church that was always locked. I determined to return there one day and go inside that church.

chelseababy Mon 20-Nov-17 20:38:26

The island of Spinalonga off Elounda is worth a visit. The last leper colony in Europe and the subject of Victoria Hislop's The Island. Very moving.

petra Mon 20-Nov-17 22:10:15

Chelseababy
Have to agree about Spinalonga, also the book. One of the saddest I've ever read. I love all her books but that's the best.

grannyticktock Mon 20-Nov-17 23:38:55

I love Crete. Chania and Rethymnon are both lovely, well worth seeing. In the south, I think you mean Iarapetra? (pronounced Ee-a-rap-et-ra). From there you can take a boat to the gorgeous Chrissi Island as a day trip Lucky you!

Moneyboss Tue 28-Nov-17 15:48:56

I love Crete to. Chania is lovely, also stayed in Agios Nikolaos, where we did the trip to Spinalonga.

Moneyboss Tue 28-Nov-17 15:48:56

I love Crete to. Chania is lovely, also stayed in Agios Nikolaos, where we did the trip to Spinalonga.

jura2 Sat 02-Dec-17 14:34:04

Thanks all - in the South we will be a bit further East than Iarapetra. Really looking forward to this. Having second knee replacement early March - so it will really help to know I've got to work hard to get better before our trip.

Will definitely go to Spinalonga as I just loved the book - just about to start reading 'Cartes Postales' from greece by Victoria Hislop.

jura2 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:44:22

Loutsounari - wish I could remember the name, have to look it up every time!