Gransnet forums

Travel

Any skiers, downill or xcountry - snow lovers- here?

(29 Posts)
jura2 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:32:28

Would be nice to know and perhaps meet up on the slopes one day.

I grew up on skis- and took up snowboarding too, aged 49 and xcountry skiing (the Jura is really the best place for it, right on our doorstep). No skiing last year- after first diffiicult knee replacement. That felt really strange - but hope to do some fair weather skiing of both types this winter- before second knee replacement early March.

Willow500 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:14:55

Sadly not me - not much call for skis in my part of the country grin

tanith Wed 06-Dec-17 17:45:33

I skied a few times in my teens but not since, I did enjoy it but now I wouldn't risk it.

Fennel Wed 06-Dec-17 18:09:08

I had a go once in the Cairngorms, but decided it wasn't my sport wink
Husband used to ski often when we first came to France - we're near the Pyrenees. Then he fell and broke his leg - that was the end of that.

Friday Wed 06-Dec-17 18:18:00

I was skiing almost before I could walk and at least twice a week during the winter months up until I was 21.

Bet I couldn’t even stand up on skis now ?

M0nica Thu 07-Dec-17 16:22:48

I love snow, but have always wanted to learn to ski but never had time or money for snow sports. In my late teens and 20s I used to go skating a lot, but then we moved from south London and I no longer had access to a rink.

Our local garden centre has an ice rink over Christmas and the first year it was there, assuming skating was like cycling, something you never forget, I went off there, launched myself on the ice, my feet went from under me and I landed on the ice with crash. No damage beyond a bit of a surprise and bruising but as I was 70, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and I haven't been on the ice since.

But I still love the snow and go north in the winter to experience it.

jura2 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:40:05

Not sure how old you are Monica- but how about doing cross country skiing? You can do it on the flat, and at your own pace - so peaceful and so eco friendly and cheap too.

Was it real ice or that awful plastic stuff? Same thing happened to me once in the UK as the hire skate were not sharp at all and the plastic ice awful. Run onto the rink and practically did the splits- as there was not resistance for the push !?!

Blencathra Sun 17-Dec-17 07:21:47

I am mid 60s and love skiing. I am not going this year but intend to carry on for as long as I can. I am more cautious these days - I find it more difficult to get up when I fall!

M0nica Sun 17-Dec-17 09:07:59

jura2, it was real ice and 2 years after I slipped on wet grass and similarly landed on my back and while I was, again, only bruised, it was badly this time and I was housebound unable to walk very far for over a month with three months before I even began to get back to normal, so I am a bit more careful now. For that reason, I think I will avoid even cross country ski-ing.

I am 74 and still very fit, but I am now concerned about recovery times and the possibility of not making a full recovery.

Teetime Sun 17-Dec-17 10:25:43

I'm with Claudia on ski- ing - her take on it on Room 101 was perfect and hilarious she also writes in todays Sunday Times Style section. Not for me!

silverlining48 Sun 17-Dec-17 10:35:57

Errrr, no, count me out.

jura2 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:18:38

Suppose it is very dfferent for me, and for Friday, as we learnt as toddlers ... and I grew up on snow...

Snow and ice have palyed a huge part in my life, and our kids too- as 2 weeks skiing a year was our main holiday (self drive, self cater, packed lunches on slope, self teaching - never could afford to go on packages as we had to go in school holidays!) ...OH learnt to ski aged 30- and loved it from day 1, even if it did not come naturally.

Fabulous conditions now in the Jura- so hopefully will get on our cross country skis soon, and hopefully on our downhillers too- on a sunny day with great snow- and see what my knees think of it. And yes, Blencathra- I never fall these days - could never get up unless on steep slope or taking skis off, lol.

No more moguls and double blacks for me- and that is fine. And nore more skating on our lakes either- sadly. I used to be such a good skater, figure, speed and hockey too. But that will have to remain just a wonderful memory. Last time I skated on our lake, was with my 89 year old dad (at the time- he died at 96 in 2009).

jura2 Sun 17-Dec-17 12:18:56

Suppose it is very dfferent for me, and for Friday, as we learnt as toddlers ... and I grew up on snow...

Snow and ice have palyed a huge part in my life, and our kids too- as 2 weeks skiing a year was our main holiday (self drive, self cater, packed lunches on slope, self teaching - never could afford to go on packages as we had to go in school holidays!) ...OH learnt to ski aged 30- and loved it from day 1, even if it did not come naturally.

Fabulous conditions now in the Jura- so hopefully will get on our cross country skis soon, and hopefully on our downhillers too- on a sunny day with great snow- and see what my knees think of it. And yes, Blencathra- I never fall these days - could never get up unless on steep slope or taking skis off, lol.

No more moguls and double blacks for me- and that is fine. And nore more skating on our lakes either- sadly. I used to be such a good skater, figure, speed and hockey too. But that will have to remain just a wonderful memory. Last time I skated on our lake, was with my 89 year old dad (at the time- he died at 96 in 2009).

BlueBelle Sun 17-Dec-17 12:31:01

No one in our family has ever skied and we rarely see more than an inch of snow I ve never winter holidayed either so won’t start now I guess

Blencathra Fri 22-Dec-17 06:33:25

I think it is something that it is difficult to take up later but it is a bit like riding a bike- once you can do it you don't forget. I can see that I shall stick to easier routes and I may eventually change to cross country but it is too wonderful in the mountains in the snow to ever want to give up- unless forced to by health.

MontanaGal Fri 22-Dec-17 06:57:16

Hi Jura2, I have never heard of the Jura, so I looked it up on the web. Do you live in Switzerland or France? The photos I saw of the mountains are beautiful.
I used to cross-country ski many years ago, but now only snow-shoe. Hope we have enough snow this winter. We have 20 acres of land so don't have to travel away from home.
Enjoy and stay safe on the trails.

tiggypiro Fri 22-Dec-17 10:12:48

I was 50 before I learnt to ski and absolutely LOVED IT . I managed a week every year for about 10 years and then broke my leg badly (not skiing). I have now got a knee which just doesn't like skiing anymore so have very reluctantly given up. Also with osteopenia in one hip it does not encourage me to do anything where I might fall down !
Now I just love watching Ski Sunday and marvel at the skill and courage of the competitors (with only a teeny weeny bit of jealousy!)

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 18:17:39

MontanaGal are you in ... Montana?

We are on the Swiss side, but only just - less than 500m (metres not miles) to the border- and go to France several times a week, sometimes more than once. And when we x country ski or walk, never quite know which country we are in.

tiggypiro - what a shame xou've had to give up. 47 years to the day, the car I travelled in (not the driver, I was on back seat) ended up wrapped around a tree with me in the middle- right femur smashed to smithereens - 7.5 months in hospital and 2 years to get back to normal (bar a 2.5cm shorted leg). I got back on skis about 8 years later- and since then been for 2 weeks every year- OH was 32 when he started, but thank goodness he loved itand our girls skied since they were toddlers. Always been our main family holiday- self drive, self cater, self teach ...

Had new knee 2 years ago, and not skied since- but hopefully will be able to ski on great snow and on gentle slopes until second new knee early March.

Icyalittle Fri 22-Dec-17 18:34:49

I’m a downhill skier, and still love it. I’ll be skiing during most of January - I think you know where, Jura2! Pm me and we’ll try and meet up. I’ve got family with me until about the 5th Jan but would love to do so after that. So glad your first knee is doing so well.

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 18:46:30

Ah thanks Icy and have a wonderful time.

First knee is still a bit bizarre- solid but feels weird, not mine ... sadly so much damage from that accident so long ago- they had to get rid of a lot of extra bone growths and it has caused some nerve damage. Second one should be so much easier- it is wrecked because of having to support the other one all these years and due to damaged leg shorter - but no periperal damage. So see how it goes - will pm later. Joyeux Noël. How lovely to hear from you- wave when you drive past on your way.

BabyLayla Sat 23-Dec-17 08:52:10

I love skiing, not been able to go this year ( knee arthritis) never tried xc it would probably suit me as it's the beauty and silence that I prefer.
I started late and was very slow to pick it up,
We have been to France many time, Andorra, Austria and Crans Montana in Switzerland ( fondly remembered as "there's not much English here" said by our then 4 year old grandson.
Hoping to ski again one day
Merry Christmas and thanks for jogging my memory of some fantastic moments

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 12:56:14

Lovely post BabyLayla - yes, with xcountry skiing, if you keep away from the big resorts- you just get the swish of the skis on snow, bird song and perhaps wind in the trees- and it is totally ecologically friendly.

The cost is also very small compared to downhill skiing- equipment hire is cheap and you don't need fancy gear- and of course no lifts to pay for.

The Jura where I live is the perfect place- no crowds- huge choice, and you ski on top of those 'molar' like mountains, with fabulous views across to the Alps further South. And accommodation, be it in a hôtel, B&B or châlet - is also very cheap compared to Alps- especially outside school holidays.

The Jura mountain chain goes from Geneva, to Basel- with large sections in France. You can do xcountry skiing very much at your own pace, on the flat, in pre-made tracks - making the risk of injury very small too. There is no twisting of the knee either, with the classical style, and being in pre-made tracks prevents this too.

If ever anyone wants advice and recommendations for xc skiing in 'my' Jura - very happy to help (can do B&B too).

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 12:56:58

Google the map for the GTJ - Grande Traversée du Jura - with maps and guides. We are about half-way.

MawB Sat 07-Dec-19 13:36:02

Just testing!

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 11:20:49

Well, perhaps tech team made this possible. When I tried last week, it said something like 'old thread- open a new one instead' ... and it could not be added to. So thanks GN tech team.