Gransnet forums

Travel

Cape Verde - Any advice or tips?

(8 Posts)
Gilly1952 Sat 17-Feb-18 10:22:27

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help? My partner and I have recently booked a holiday on the island of Sal in Cape Verde. We fancied going away somewhere hot for the Christmas/New Year period and he suggested this island! I am now rather concerned and think we have been too hasty in choosing this place, as it seems we will not only need several innoculations but also the weather there can be very windy and even a bit cool in the evenings. I always get bitten by mozzies, so that is another concern! Although I am sure it is a beautiful island, would we have been better going to the Canaries? Some of the adult-only hotels in Tenerife were almost as expensive as the hotel we have booked? I like the Canaries and would happily have gone there, but my partner seems to have a bit of an issue with them, for some reason, even though he has never been! I wonder if anyone has visited Cape Verde and could offer any tips or advice? Many thanks.

Sunlover Sat 17-Feb-18 10:49:45

I'll be following this thread as just thinking of booking a week away in April and Cape Verde is my favourite at the moment. We are wanting plentiful sunshine without the really long flight time and CV seems to fit the bill. We realise we will probably not leave the hotel but we are fine with that. We just want to flop by the pool,relax and read our books in the sun.
Which hotel have you booked?

Sunlover Sat 17-Feb-18 10:51:02

We spent Xmas and New Year in South Africa. Loved everything about it except the 11 hour flight.

Gilly1952 Sat 17-Feb-18 11:49:17

Hi Sunlover, Thanks for your message. We have booked two weeks at the TUI hotel called Melia Llana, near Santa Maria. It’s an adult only, all inclusive, so if nothing else, we can drink ourselves stupid! Just worried that if it’s cold and windy, the sea will be rough, and the pools are not heated. The whole idea of going there was because we wanted some winter sun, we could fly from our nearest airport, it was a shorter flight time and quite a bit less money than the Caribbean (our first choice). I think my partner is having second thoughts now!! He’s always been biased against the Canaries, so when he suggested Cape Verde, I thought it seemed a good idea! I know the area is rather “undeveloped” but I think that may add to it’s charm - as long as we feel safe enough to venture away from the hotel complex! We had also thought about Cuba. Have you ever been there? I don’t think I could cope with the 11 hour flight to South Africa!

grannyticktock Sat 17-Feb-18 13:10:08

It sounds pretty good in December: www.weather2travel.com/december/cape-verde/espargos-sal.php. I haven't been there but the winter climate sounds tempting!

It's a long way south of the Canaries and should be warmer and drier, but less lush and green. For future winter sun, though, don't dismiss the Canaries. Each island is very different, and some (e.g. Gran Canaria and Tenerife) have a completely different character in the north of the island vs the south. There's something for everyone there - busy beaches, unspoilt rocky coastline, mountains, volcanoes, sandy desert, rainforest, lush green wilderness, pretty towns and villages.... You just have to pick the right island and area.

Smithy Sat 17-Feb-18 13:20:58

Gilly, will be following this thread as CV has been on my mind for a year or two. I'm due to go to Lanzarote for a short break soon, but very interested in any replies to your op. Forget your misgivings - I love to go somewhere new if I get the chance.

Sunlover Sat 17-Feb-18 14:20:18

Yes we went to Cuba about 8 years ago. We had difficulty getting direct flights for our dates so had a stopover in Boston. Think even direct flights are fairly long.
We also did Gambia one NY. Had a lovely time and often think we should go back but the world is a big place and we like trying out new destinations.
We are also looking at Santa Maria. Just need to decide on which hotel. All have good reviews. I think as long as we are not expecting Dubai 5 star standards we will be fine. To be honest I just want some sunshine to warm my bones!!

Synonymous Sat 17-Feb-18 15:46:55

Just remember that it is not 'first world' but if you are in a good hotel and don't intend going elsewhere you should be fine. Take all the usual precautions, repellents and first aid stuff just in case! Our niece lived over there for three years on an aid mission and loved it.