Gransnet forums

Travel

Coach trips/tours

(60 Posts)
jordana Wed 21-Feb-18 16:10:51

We don't know whether to try a coach trip this year. We drive to lots of places and stay at hotels etc and we do like the independence of stopping when we feel like it and go off the Beaten track. Now we are getting older and there is so much traffic now, I don't find it as relaxing as I used to so thought a coach trip might be an alternative. Has anyone been on holiday by coach? Only for the UK I might add

goldengirl Fri 23-Feb-18 11:35:31

We enjoyed a guided coach trip to the WW1 battle fields and I've been on UK tours related to art on my own which I've enjoyed but I wouldn't do as a holiday in itself where you are staying in different places each night. It would drive me nuts

anitamp1 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:44:16

How about rail travel as an alternative? Bit more room to move around. And there are some good organised tours, particularly up to Scotland.

quizqueen Fri 23-Feb-18 12:19:16

I'm not over keen on total holiday travel by coach. Some of the disadvantages are:
* irritating music over loud speaker
*long time sitting
*sitting next to/in front/behind people you don't like or smell bad ( sorry smoke lingers on them as well as BO)
* other noise
*disputes over seats
* thoughtless people being late for coach
* multiple pick ups
* no flexibility/strict timetable

I did Monet's Garden by coach years ago and vowed never again. I was first pick up and it was hours of stop/start and deviations of route before we even got to Dover. Then other coaches we were liaising with were late and we missed our ferry. Total travel time was 3am till midnight the following day but I see you are only interested in UK destinations.

The advantages are:
* can be less stress way of travel
* can sleep while travelling
* companionship
* all in price for tours

Sararose Fri 23-Feb-18 12:29:41

I have been on a lot of coach holidays , with my husband before he became ill and more recently with friends or on my own. I have enjoyed them all and the only downside is being the first pick up and the last drop off! I usually travel with Daish's but my sister always travels with Shearings. The holidays are only for 5 days as a rule so why not try a short trip to the seaside or the mountains and see if you like it. I generally give a review on Tripadvisor and agree it is sensible to check the reviews before travelling.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 23-Feb-18 12:53:37

Jordana.I believe a coach trip all inclusive might be to organised for you as you appear to have enjoyed doing your own thing in the past. If you don't want the bother of driving then by all means book a coach plus hotel to the place of your choice. Outings can be booked through hotels so this gives you the advantage of doing what you want and when.

Magicmaggie Fri 23-Feb-18 13:39:34

Like others, I’ve been on quite a few coach holidays, some good others some best forgotten.
I always read Tripadvisor reviews about the hotel we will be staying at before I book, and this my main deciding factor on whether I go or not.
Last October I went to Cornwall with Sherrings and although the hotel was excellent.
I found the 6 hour journey with just one short “comfort stop” extremely tiring To cap it all, three days later I’d caught the worst cold I’d had in years?

journey with just one short stops

Magicmaggie Fri 23-Feb-18 13:41:20

Sorry did not delete the lower sentance

hulahoop Fri 23-Feb-18 14:01:38

Have done several coach holidays here and abroad . We have found hotels on some week long holidays dire very tired hotels weekend breaks are slightly better because a lot of travel type hotels are used . We usually meet some lovely people and food is usually ok nothing fancy but you won't starve . You usually get some free days .

GabriellaG Fri 23-Feb-18 15:29:44

Yes. An ad in The Lady advertised for a companion to accompany a woman on a 8 day coach trip to Waterford (Ire) from Beaconsfield.
After interview I got the job and met a few weeks later at the brother's home where I was given £350 spends and £500 for my 'wage'.
I had a fantastic time although I would normally have shied away from that kind of thing.
Met a young couple (19&20) who left a bar of chocolate on my seat at breakfast every day, a guy who was on the trip to get away from wife and kids (he bought a gun and a shillelagh) a husband who whistled constantly (until I threatened him) and sundry other characters who were, for the most part, delightful especially the driver who kept us all interested and in stitches but was quiet much of the time.
We stopped at the Holiday Inn in Newport for the first night and Southampton FC were staying there so I got all their autographs on a menu at breakfast.
We (my companion and I) took a pony and trap to see the Blue Church and the driver kept getting down to scoop up the horse droppings into a bucket, otherwise they get fined. It really was fun and I am still in touch with the young couple and went to their wedding. He's a well known chef now but was only starting out when we met.
It all depends on the company. I wouldn't want to go with just older people.

Herbie9 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:11:36

We've enjoyed several coach holidays abroad but for now are exploring more of UK. Always look at Tripadvisor reviews which are very helpful. Our local coach companies pick us up locally on a feeder coach, some have a pick up from home service for a reasonable fee, but we haven't tried that yet. Experienced pleasant drivers and the luggage has always been handled by them and delivered to your room on arrival. Enough comfort stops en route. They are very good value and make for a relaxing short break.

FlorenceFlower Fri 23-Feb-18 17:28:57

Many years ago, before I was married, I was in Australia working on my own and went on a two week coach and camping trip from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef and back, through the Blue Mountains, etc. It was great, couldn’t have done it in the time on my own, and am still in touch with some of the people I met.

Have also been to Cuba, Albania and a couple of other countries with a female friend using VJV, Voyages Jules Verne, which were very good.

Last year I went with my husband to New Zealand for a holiday and he didn’t want to go to Hobbiton so I went on a one day coach trip without him, much to his amazement! I didn’t want to drive our rental car down there on my own, so the coach day trip from Auckland to Hobbiton was very relaxing. I met an amazing number of people, both single and married, all ages and from many nationalities (some Japanese, Koreans, Canadians, etc). Everyone was a fan of the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, and I had a wonderful day.

My husband hates the idea of coach trips (never having been on one, it has to be said!) but in general I like them. As with any holiday, dont get upset by minor issues, or irritated by some other people being a bit bossy. Perhaps plan some free time on your own, possibly have a meal or two away from everyone else, and do take advantage of someone else doing the driving and organising.

Quite well off friends of mine go on several coach trips a year, either in the UK or Europe, they go in a group of five and join a bigger trip, they say they couldn’t drive to the places for the price, it’s always possible to order more wine (!) and you may meet people you really get on with. ?

grannyactivist Fri 23-Feb-18 17:49:35

I went on a Leger trip to the Dolomites a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. As has been said up thread, there was a 'lounge' area at the back with seats at a circular table and people got up for a mingle and a chat as suited them. There was a very frequent drinks service and the majority of the people on my coach drank like fish much to my surprise. Most people were 75+, but very jolly and everyone else was a seasoned regular with coach tours, hence a lot of people had met before on other tours. There was a lovely atmosphere, the drivers were brilliant and there was no music other than what you chose for yourself from the screen in front of you.

jimmyRFU Fri 23-Feb-18 17:59:40

We have done the odd coach trip years ago. Then with the kids it was static caravans. Thinking we would be free to do and go wherever when they left home but now we are parents to a dog with long term health issues who no one will take care of. At 60 and 67 our holidays are over unless we do a caravan in the UK. Just as we thought we would be getting our lives back. Go for it. Book it all. Get out there.

janc Fri 23-Feb-18 20:19:44

Try a short trip and take it from there?

annsixty Fri 23-Feb-18 20:31:24

When my SiL was widowed , she still wanted to holiday and I went with her twice on coach trips to firstly Eastbourne and then Sidmouth, both really good hotels.
Good trips nice companions and excellent drivers.
The only downside was entirely personal my SiL would not agree to single rooms and I found it very hard to share.
As an experience it was good and I would repeat it with single rooms, sadly my SiL has now died and I have a disabled H .

jordana Sun 25-Feb-18 18:12:14

Thank you ladies for your ideas and tips etc. I have decided on a 2 day trip to the lake district and then if we like that, we may go a 4 day coach tour to harrogate and York at easter

Blinko Tue 27-Feb-18 11:56:26

Amsterdam and the Keukenhof gardens in April with Shearings. can't wait!

jordana Tue 27-Feb-18 12:48:56

I did that years ago. Great trip and bought some tulips whilst there

Blinko Thu 01-Mar-18 13:24:19

Thanks, Jordana, we're looking forward to it.

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Mar-18 13:44:42

How does it do for Singles?
The general messages I am getting seem generally positive. I fully understand the points made about not having to drive.
The OH would not particularly like this and was a pain in the butt when we went on a U3A tour in Europe. Wandering off and delaying everyone. ( He has Aspergers and cannot deal with the social side very well at all. )

Blue45Sapphire Sat 03-Mar-18 22:11:27

Went on a week's coach tour to Scotland, absolutely hated it, too regimented.Not so much the coach days out , but the hotels, being told when you had to eat, and having sittings for meals, it was like a boarding school - "coach A will be down for breakfast at 8am precisely and your coach will leave exactly 1 hour later on your excursion for the day." And your evening meal will be at exactly 8 pm and you will not be allowed to take your time over it because there is another coach group after you. Never again, ever....

jordana Sat 03-Mar-18 23:14:18

That doesn't sound inviting blue. As you say, sounds like a school trip. Hopefully they are not all like that

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Mar-18 11:39:09

Well, you do normally have to eat at a certain time, but I've never seen that as any hardship. And of course they've to have a fixed time for the coach to leave, how else would it work? hmm If you don't want to be "regimented", just don't go on the excursions. Simple!

travelsafar Mon 05-Mar-18 08:49:29

I am doing my first coach trip next month on my own.OH doesn't do holidays or outings. I am looking forward to it but my main concern is eating on my own.Some of you seasoned travellers may be able to tell me what to do. Do I just sit at an empty table in the hope that someone else will join me or do other travellers generally invite single people to join them?

Ontheroad Wed 10-Oct-18 13:12:56

Curious. Have any of you had a coach trip that had on board entertainment? I’ve been asked to host a trip from Scotland down to the Metrocentre in Gateshead. It leaves at 7am & I’m supposed to keep people entertained (not allowed to use the radio or DVD system) any ideas? Frankly would you rather just be let alone? I’ve got some pages of the story of things we will see on the road & a little quiz (that sort of thing)