Gransnet forums

Travel

Carry-on bags for long flights

(57 Posts)
winterwhite Wed 07-Mar-18 13:22:05

Lots of people seem to be packing at the moment - happy holidays to all. What do you have in your carry-on bags for a flight of 6-7 hours? DH and I have had ‘conversations’, to echo a recent thread grin, about what I put in mine - and then I have a shoulder bag for purse etc As Well. Need to cut back. Apart from spare pair of pants, and book, what else do people have in their in-flight bags?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Mar-18 15:14:27

Spare underwear (plus swimwear if going somewhere warm - we once had 2 of our 3 cases go missing for a few days. Daughter and I were OK but husband didn't have a stitch to wear and we had no toiletries (and were somewhere remote where you d just go shopping. We now tend to spread our stuff across all the cases we are taking but old habits etc...)

Kindle. Rescue Remedy (in case it gets bumpy!). Painkillers. Ginger nuts (hardy! Travel biscuit of choice). Oh and camera, sun hat (if needed) and sunglasses (and regular specs)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Mar-18 15:15:44

Oh and a selection of GF food for 9yo (allergic to wheat). We were once on a 12 hour flight where they forgot to load her special meal and thought that a bag of apple slices would be plenty confused

wildswan16 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:01:49

Although I usually travel with as small a bag as possible, last year I had a three flight journey (23 hr total) to attend my son's wedding. Being terrified of luggage not arriving I bought a small wheeled carry-on case into which I managed to get, my dress, shoes, handbag, dress for the evening do, other handbag, all my cosmetics, all necessary undergarments, four tartan ties for the groomsmen, cake topper for the cake, pashmina for the evening, kilt hose for son, ghillie shirt for son to wear in evening, along with all the usual documents, phones, etc.

Never was a case so well guarded through three different airports etc. As it happened, my big case arrived exactly as it should.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:53:17

Cari
The 'special dietary requirements' food on our last flight seemed to encompass everything - my gf meals seemed to be also dairy-free, vegetarian, salt-free, sugar-free, bland, you name it they left it out so I was served a tasteless tray of cardboard and cotton-wool.

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Mar-18 22:47:36

Coming back from our recent trip to Estonia I didn’t bother with the usual stuff in my carry on bag - and regretted it. We were stuck in a hotel five miles outside Amsterdam in the middle of nowhere and I hadn’t bothered to pack my usual spare undies. Three days of washing out knickers and socks each night and sleeping in the nuddy. The hotel only provided a toothbrush and a tiny tube of toothpaste.

Usually my carry on bag contains:
A complete spare change of clothes,
Spare shoes (I wear the biggest shoes/hike boots and once arrived in Las Vegas wearing winter weight clothes and hike boots. Not really the best for hot weather)
Essential medicines for the whole holiday,
Make up (I don’t take much),
iPad,
Phone,
Camera,
A bag containing the chargers for all of them,
Book,
And anything else of value which I don’t want to go astray.

I don’t carry a handbag, just a bumbag or money belt for passport, cash, cards, etc. And we also divide our clothes between the hold bags in case one goes missing. I don’t travel light!

Oh, and I take a picture of our bags while we’re standing waiting to check in. It comes in handy if a bag doesn’t arrive and they ask what the bag looks like.

silverlining48 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:40:58

The photo idea is a good one will remember that, though we usually just have a carry on if our stay is a week or less. Awkward with the liquids but not impossible.