Gransnet forums

Travel

Pyjamas on a sleeper train?

(62 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 21-Apr-18 11:46:14

The first time I took a sleeper train (Cologne to Vienna, magical) I changed into silk pyjamas. Whatever was I thinking? That I was in "North by Northwest" and Carey Grant would be in the bottom bunk? The nearest I got was OH in his boxers asking if I had any water left. Since then I've opted for leggings and a t-shirt if we don't have a private loo, and nothing at all if we have, which is fine until we arrive in station and I have to cover up (I like looking through the window.) Any ideas?

petra Sun 22-Apr-18 09:40:36

I would love to have seen this carriage in it's hey day.
Think gold tassels, red velvet curtains, inlaid wood panelling.
The other amusing part was: the porter ( there was only one)
made some money out of buying all the food and drink himself and sold it on for a profit.

marpau Sun 22-Apr-18 09:41:44

I'm with you on that one Maw

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:54:45

Our best ever was in India. We bought a small rail compartment with a little man for the week. It was like a travelling hotel room. Each evening we would be detached from the train and put into a siding fir the night, the little man cooked our supper in his bit of the coach and converted the sofas into a double bedroom, with a double bed. I told him where we wanted to go the next day and he arranged that the right train would come and join us on at the right time and carry us to our next destination. In 1978 the week cost something like £200 for the pair if us. We went from Bombay ( Mumbai) to the Fiithills if the Himalaya calling at Agra, Delhi and several smaller places en route. Magic and effectively our main honeymoon, we married nine months later and went to Paris fir the weekend.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Apr-18 09:56:36

Whatever preserves ones dignity.A diaphanous creation is for the bedroom not the Paddington /Penzance.

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 09:57:47

But, Nelliemoser, what has rape do do with gender identity? Are there any statistics that say that people who self-identify with a gender they were not born with are more likely to be rapists than cisgendered people?

allsortsofbags Sun 22-Apr-18 10:18:20

Never travelled by sleeper train - one for the to do list me thinks :-) - but once I tried the leggings and T-shirt combo I've always opted for that.

It's worked out well on planes and ferries, I've worn leggings of different lengths from above the knee to full length depending on what I thought the temperature would be.

Good Luck and enjoy your journey :-)

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 10:19:43

I think you are entitled to feel comfortable in a situation. (In the same way that we have had threads on changing rooms and public lavatories. )
Not too much to expect.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Apr-18 10:19:57

I know I’m old, but I’m lost here- WTF is a ‘cisgendered person’ ???

grandtanteJE65 Sun 22-Apr-18 10:23:16

The only night trains I have ever travelled in, had six bunks per compartment. I always booked the top one, as it felt more private and the luggage shelf was up there too, so I put my haversack under my feet.

Nightwear: t-shirt and panties, slipped on my skirt if I needed to go to the toilet during the night. The bunks had curtains, so I could take my bra off before settling down and pop it back on in privacy. Changed my underpants at the first ladies' I could find with a wash-basin in the cubicle, after getting off the train.

threexnanny Sun 22-Apr-18 10:42:00

I'm with MawBroon too. Just imagine being a young single girl travelling and finding that you have to share a cabin with someone like the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest a couple of years ago.

NanaRayna Sun 22-Apr-18 10:45:20

Cisgendered means the person was born into the gender they recognise as being their own.
So a boy who is happy with his genitalia is cisgendered, while one who yearns for womanhood is not.

GeminiJen Sun 22-Apr-18 10:53:16

grandtanteJE65...Me too grin I was just about to respond when I read your post. I do exactly the same, except for skirt read trousers. Last trip I did like this was in India. I was bunked up beside a family with three young children, all fascinated by this weird 'white' woman (i.e. Scottish...and pale with it) Amazing how well you can communicate with smiles, mimes and shared food/drink smile

harrigran Sun 22-Apr-18 11:06:49

We once did motor-rail to the south of France, horrible, never again. Uncomfortable and noisy, told to make sure car alarms were disabled but most didn't. I think I just stripped down to my underwear, not important because only DH in with me.

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 11:08:23

Thanks, NanaRayner, was juts about to reply. Yes, it's a difficult concept to get your head around, and I had to look up "cisgendered" when I first came across it, but it's good that people can now talk about it. People don't spend years having hormone therapy and painful gender reassignment surgery on a whim, it's not something you "decide on a wet Monday", because it's not a lifestyle choice, its a real condition. Imagine being told something is real when you know it isn't, and when you spend your whole life feeling you are in the wrong gender. And a single girl travelling with Conchita Wurst would probably have a ball!
Perhaps we should all read Jan Morris's autobiography to understand.

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 11:16:33

Oh dear, I started this thread as something lighthearted, and it seems to have become very serious! I've loved all the comments from people who have or wish they had travelled on a sleeper, and to the latter I'd say, give it a go! The man in seat 61 ( seat61.com ) is the fount of all knowledge about trains-despite being a fairly seasoned traveller, I always look to him before I book any tickets.
So, after reading all your comments, I think the silk pyjamas are out and a vest top and loose shorts or leggings are the way to go.
By the way, years and ago I used to buy disposable knickers from Boots for travelling-must see if they still do them. The only problem, I seem to recall, is that they disintegrated fairly quickly in the heat. I remember hitchhiking in the south of France and arriving at the Youth Hostel wearing little more under my skirt than the elastic around the waist and legs.

vickya Sun 22-Apr-18 11:33:55

MawBroom, why would someone who has a penis and beard worry you to share with? After all, someone who appears completely female might be a lesbian and make a pass at you, if that is what is worrying you smile. As long as people are respectful of each other it should work ok. I use a swimming pool in a club and in the changing room females often walk around with nothing on or are at various stages of dress and undress. I also see males in the pool. I can look at both lots and have any thoughts about them. They don't know and are not bothered. You never know how people think or identify, m/f/bi or any thing else.

GabriellaG Sun 22-Apr-18 11:41:05

Well, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but the truth will out. I don't hold with any trans or gender dysphoria nonsense. IMO you are male or female and that is determined by the chromosomes in your DNA at birth. I absolutely would not accept a person, looking like a male but claiming to be female, sharing toilet facilities, changing rooms or sleeping arrangements (wherever such things occur)
I wouldn't feel threatened, just angry.

Peardrop50 Sun 22-Apr-18 11:45:52

Neilspurgeon0, I love the sound of your honeymoon trip, how exciting. Lots of splendid trips on here. I have never travelled on an overnight train journey but would go for leggings and baggy Tshirt in winter, loose shorts and T in summer.
Long train journey now added to bucket list you paint amazing pictures

threexnanny Sun 22-Apr-18 13:43:09

Having been in a job where I've met both sex change and transsexuals I would say there is a world of difference between the one who is born into what they feel is the wrong sex body, and the one who dresses in the opposite sex style in order to shock and call attention to themselves.

Patticake123 Sun 22-Apr-18 13:56:26

I’d wear PJ’s and be damned! I don’t remember what I wore on the school trip to Interlaken in 1963 but I can still recall the delicious smell of fresh coffee when the train pulled into Basel. I thought I was in another world!

Rufus2 Sun 22-Apr-18 13:57:46

MawBroon. I don't have a beard; so would I pass your stringent standards? grin I'm not very strong
these days either. sad

Please keep this thread going. It's cheered me up no end. grin
Sweet Dreams and Good Health.

SparklyGrandma Sun 22-Apr-18 14:46:54

I did Interail around Europe when young/er. Couchette or not, we slept fully clothed in jeans and tops, maybe the bra was slipped off in the loo. Money belt was hidden on my person as we had been warned when sleeping, some were skilled at getting it off you.
Great fun we had, never lost money and boy did I appreciate a bed with sheets in between long train journeys.

willa45 Sun 22-Apr-18 14:49:34

Overnight from Madrid to Barcelona and then from Barcelona to Paris. Sleeper train was quite an adventure.

When we crossed over to France, the train stopped (Province?) at 4 am to have its rails adjusted ( French track with a different gauge). We heard muffled voices and a lot of thumping and we couldn't sleep after that. A short while later, we got to watch he sun rise from the moving train which was an unexpected bonus...Great memories!!

We had comfortable yet very small, compact (private) sleepers on both legs of our journey. DH and I were able to change into more comfortable nightwear without any issue. In a less private setting, I would recommend using the restroom to change into a T shirt with flannel pants and socks.

Scribbles Sun 22-Apr-18 15:20:01

When my daughter was quite small (five or six -ish), we travelled on the Kings Cross/Aberdeen sleeper two or three times and both thought it a great adventure! That was nearly 40 years ago and, for the life of me, I can't remember what either of us wore to bed. It's going to niggle away at my brain forever now until I remember ...

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 17:47:16

You haven’t answered the other question Rufus but I expect I know the answer.
No, with all possible respect, I would not be comfortable sharing with you smile