Gransnet forums

Travel

Pyjamas on a sleeper train?

(61 Posts)
DoraMarr Sat 21-Apr-18 11:46:14

The first time I took a sleeper train (Cologne to Vienna, magical) I changed into silk pyjamas. Whatever was I thinking? That I was in "North by Northwest" and Carey Grant would be in the bottom bunk? The nearest I got was OH in his boxers asking if I had any water left. Since then I've opted for leggings and a t-shirt if we don't have a private loo, and nothing at all if we have, which is fine until we arrive in station and I have to cover up (I like looking through the window.) Any ideas?

felice Sat 21-Apr-18 11:53:00

The last time I was on a sleeper train I was going from Brussels to Switzerland with 25 Scouts.
The leaders spent the night 'patrolling' the train corridor.
You mean they have bunks you can sleep on¨shock

travelsafar Sat 21-Apr-18 12:37:21

I should think a onesie might be a good idea unless of course its very hot!!!

ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 12:48:41

DD's standard sleep attire seems appropriate.
Vest top and elasticated waist shorts

Charleygirl Sat 21-Apr-18 12:50:09

My last trip on a sleeper train was London to Scotland about 100 years ago. Superb service and in those days I could afford a trip by train.

janeainsworth Sat 21-Apr-18 12:56:19

We took the midnight train to Georgia, Washington DC to Jacksonville FL a few years ago.
Our ‘roomette’ included a loo which appeared when you folded down a cupboard door. There was no screening whatsoever shock
I think I just wore my usual nightie, I’d have covered up with a long cardi if I’d needed to venture down the corridor in the middle of the night.

petra Sat 21-Apr-18 13:02:58

The last sleeper we took was 2007 from Sofia to Varna ( on the Black Sea coast) We were given our own logs to feed the solid fuel stove in the cabin.
I think I just stripped down to underwear. Lovely and cosy though.

DoraMarr Sat 21-Apr-18 13:07:56

Thanks ninathenana_I like the idea of shorts, it's going to be warm when we go to Lisbon in June.
And Petra-that sounds amazing!

Jane10 Sat 21-Apr-18 13:16:18

Petra shock!!

silverlining48 Sat 21-Apr-18 14:29:30

Always kept clothes on when travelling by train through Europe as couchettes were shared with other people though some of our fellow passengers sometimes did get changed into nightwear.
However travelled home from berlin in my pjs last Saturday having gone to hospital casualty which dragged on so much so that I had to go straight to the airport, so no time to change. Being fairly invisible as an older woman I don’t think anyone noticed.

annodomini Sat 21-Apr-18 14:48:06

About 50 years ago, the last leg of a journey home from Kenya was on a sleeper from Euston to Kilmarnock and I'm sure I just slept in my underwear, as I was assured of a hot bath when I reached home. Couchettes in Europe in the same decade were not conducive to stripping off. As a teenager, on a school trip, I remember some of our party climbed up and slept in the luggage racks!

Auntieflo Sat 21-Apr-18 15:25:04

I remember those couchettes. My friend, sister and I shared a compartment with a family of three, so no changing into PJ's. This was around 1959/60, and we were going to Austria. Smashing holiday.

silverlining48 Sat 21-Apr-18 15:36:19

We did a lot of train travel in Europe in the 80s and early 90s, which always required couchette booking. The berths for 6 people were made from seat, seat back lifted up and luggage rack in a normal small compartment. Each passenger was provided with a thin little pillow and blanket. I never got any sleep but the children loved travelling this way.
We usually went to Italy and sleepless at dawn i used to stand in the corridor watching the Swiss alps in their glory as the sun rose. Unforgettable.

Marmight Sat 21-Apr-18 15:38:54

As I sleep in the buff, I usually take a Kaftan type thingie when I need to cover up. It doubles up as a beach/evening cover up too. I'm off to Scotland next week to stay with friends so am resorting to an ancient Qantas pyjama top and 'leisure' pants to preserve my dignity/keep me warm.

DoraMarr Sat 21-Apr-18 16:24:04

Marmight, a kaftan sounds lovely, but since my partner has Parkinson's now it will be me who has to climb put to the top bunk, so I don't think that will be practical. I'm enjoying reading all these memories of sleeper travel- we've done Cologne to Vienna ( magical, watching the full moon silver the Rhine as we passed along it) and Bologna-Paris (ancient train-pretty awful) and the Sud Express. I've never slept in a couchette, but imagine it must be quite fun if you're young, and it is cheap. However, age and the need to go to the loo in the night (particularly after a couple of glasses of vino verde) means we have booked a first class compartment with our own bathroom. Not really that expensive, as it's a long journey and we save on a hotel bill.

Willow500 Sat 21-Apr-18 20:12:13

Oh this is another thing I should put on the 'I have never' thread! I always imagine sleeper trains to be like those on the old murder films and the heroine is in her silk pyjamas grin These days if I was to travel on one it would be nothing until I had to put something on!

Welshwife Sat 21-Apr-18 23:03:35

It is similar travelling overnight on a ferry - I often had the thought about what would I do if there was an emergency - then a friend told me that she always wore leggings on the boat just Incase as no one was getting a view of her bits and pieces! I decided she was right and now do the same.
I never sleep well on the ferry but discovered I am better with the leggings on as my legs don’t get cold with the air con.

absent Sun 22-Apr-18 05:42:14

I have never been on a sleeper train but when I fly somewhere on a plane with seats that can be transformed into beds, I always change into pyjamas.

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 08:10:43

Given that if you are travelling alone you may as of now be sharing with somebody who “identifies” as a woman, I hope that at least they do wear pyjamas (or something ) ??

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 08:23:26

Ouch MawBroon, why the quotation marks?

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 08:32:29

Because, Dora Marr I could “identify “ as a leggy supermodel/sex goddess but it wouldn’t, in the words of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, “make it so”.

DoraMarr Sun 22-Apr-18 08:43:22

If someone identifies as a gender that is not their birth gender, then that is their gender, and they deserve to be treated with respect. Gender and sexuality are complex, and for some people to two are not aligned-we now know there is not a binary divide, but a spectrum. If someone I know had their right to identify themselves questioned, I would be very sad, and I expect you would to if it was someone you loved.

MawBroon Sun 22-Apr-18 09:28:01

Granted but if he has a penis and a beard I don’t want him sharing with me.

GabriellaG Sun 22-Apr-18 09:32:24

I'd go the whole hog by wearing a dreamy nightdress or a silk shift with spaghetti straps...or a shorts set (nightwear) of a thin cotton pj top and matching shorts.
Leggings and top are fine anytime.
Your earlier trip, Cologne to Vienna sounds worthy of a film, especially in winter and you in silk attirewinkgrin
I've journeyed on a train in Russia many years ago and it was magical at night.
Done the Caledonia sleeper from London many times and the thrill never lessens. I wore wore white cotton pjs the first time.
Enjoy...

Nelliemoser Sun 22-Apr-18 09:40:31

I am with MawBroon on this. I am sorry but wanting to decide that you are of to be whatever gender you feel like being on a wet Monday morning is not acceptable.

I have no issues with gays or transgendered people but as Maw said, men have a penis and are usually much stronger than us women.

rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour. These figures include assaults by penetration and attempts.