Gransnet forums

Travel

Flying to New Zealand

(14 Posts)
Vickyj137 Wed 11-Jul-18 22:41:32

Hi All

I’m flying to NZ for Christmas with my DD and two little ones.

I would appreciate any help that can be given on the following:
Has anyone travelled on the non stop flight to Australia? If so, what do you think?
Is the best way to get there via LA and down and then come back via Singapore? Or something like that.
Are there any travel agents out there that could do an itinerary?
Or if anyone’s flown to NZ, South Island, any travel tips would be helpful.
Many thanks

Hm999 Wed 11-Jul-18 23:14:14

Am so jealous
We went 2 yrs ago. Stopped Singapore for 4 hrs, just wanted to get there as quickly as possible really. It was tempting to stop off overnight or visit somewhere en route, but there is so much to see in NZ.
Met the guy from Silver Fern at a travel event. He was so helpful.
Loved N Island, but the highlight was Stewart Island in the south.
Take clean underwear for changing wherever you stop, and over-ear headphones because the little ones hurt after a few hours are my 2 pieces of travel advice.
Good luck and enjoy.

LiltingLyrics Wed 11-Jul-18 23:35:10

A beautiful country I was lucky to visit ten years ago. I flew from London to Auckland with a stop over in Hong Kong - no more than a few hours of leg stretch but welcome. I toured the length of the country down to Milford Sound over four weeks. Too many highlights to list. The ferry crossing from Wellington (NI) to Picton (SI) was memorable. The hop back from south to north was a quick flight from Christchurch to Auckland.

Chatting to a friend recently who flies regularly London to Melbourne (with stop overs at various cities - depends on what deals she can get) about tips for avoiding jet lag. She tries to organise her flight times to coincide as far as she can with when she would ordinarily be sleeping.

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Jul-18 06:30:16

Trailfinders are brilliant, they will help you decide what you want to do but you have to do a bit of planning beforehand.
When you have booked lookat the cabin plans for the plane you are travelling on so see where you would like to sit. It can make a difference. I can’t remember which site I use bu5 I’ll try and find it later.
As for the flight, it depends on what you are interested in, what time you have and how much money . Are you traveling on your own? That makes a difference.
We didn’t used to have time to stop when we were both working full time but now we stop on each leg to Australia.
We like visiting new and more familiar places and it does seem a shame to be somewhere and not explore.
Last time we flew from HR at 9pm, arrived in Singapore at 4pm the next day (their time) so by the time we had checked in , got our bearings and had something to eat it was time for bed.
If you can arrive everywhere in the late afternoon then I can recommend it. It does seem to help with jet lag.
Enjoy the planning it’s almost as good as the holiday and definitely better than the flight.

absent Thu 12-Jul-18 07:01:27

I think you would be better to fly east rather than west and avoid LA all together. I rate Singapore Airlines (my favourite) but they are slightly more expensive than some other companies. Emirates is pretty good too. If you can afford it, go business class – I know it is a lot more expensive than economy – but they have seats that fold down into beds – invaluable on a long haul – the service and the food are usually excellent. At a stopover, you can go into the business lounge where is there is any kind of food or drink freely available, plus you can shower (gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, towel provided) and change your clothes. That way, you arrive fresh and close to wide awake.

Have a great trip to our beautiful country.

BlueBelle Thu 12-Jul-18 07:15:02

I ve flown with a number of different airlines mainly far eastern ones they have all been great I ve only ever flown economy and it’s not been a problem I only see it as a means to get there
The last time I flew via Japan but previously Singapore Indonesia and Hong Kong I never stop off as to me that would just delay the holiday I d be too tired to enjoy the stop over place My son once stopped off in US but said never again
Not everyone experiences jet lag I never have, flying either way so don’t feel it’s compulsory
I usually fly alone but last time went with a daughter and it was much better The sheer bordom is the worst part for me
Have a great trip, a lovely country but expensive

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 12-Jul-18 07:43:00

We went Emirates business class with a stop over in Dubai, I wouldn’t go to Dubai again though.

BIL always use Singapore Airways with a brief stop over in Singapore to change planes to and from Australia. He would never go via LA as it’s just too far. If it’s a once in a lifetime trip with plenty of time, then Singapore, Australia and then NZ are all great places to stay.

However, unless you are going for more than 3 weeks, I wouldnt do any of this with 2 tinies, it’s a very long flight whichever way you do it.

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Jul-18 07:54:58

Oopsadaisy I think the children live in NZ.

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 12-Jul-18 08:16:09

Sorry, I thought she was flying with them!

Go business class with Emirates then, they collect you from home and deliver you back afterwards too. As someone else said the lounge has everything you need in it showers, food and your own boarding gate.

Marmight Thu 12-Jul-18 09:33:32

I flew with Singapore business class earlier this year having used them about 10 years ago and been very impressed. I certainly wouldn't recommend now. Indifferent staff and new type beds at a strange angle, which have to be manually (by the passenger) fixed. Not even a bag of toiletries. Bit like going on a long coach trip? If it wasn't for dealing with Dubai, I'd recommend Emirates. I've used Cathay Pacific 4x recently and will, funds allowing, return to them next time. Could you spend a few days in HK to recover before continuing to NZ? As has been advised, far better to arrive late pm if possible. Dinner, chat, a few drinks and bed! Arriving at dawn is a killer. Takes me days to get back on track?. Non stop to Perth sounds good if there's a decent onward flight to NZ. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time...the boring flight will be more than worth it to be with your family!

annodomini Thu 12-Jul-18 09:47:05

I've been three times as my sister lives in Christchurch. The first time, I stopped over in Singapore on the return flight for two nights. Unfortunately I had a horrible cold and couldn't indulge in all the sightseeing I had intended. But I booked on several bus tours which saved me having to think! Another time I spent two nights in Hong Kong. The pollution gave me a sore throat, but I enjoyed exploring the back streets of Kowloon and found the jade market which was fascinating - bargained for a little dragon as I was born in the year of the dragon! The last visit I combined with a week in San Francisco which I loved and would willingly go back and stay for longer. That trip took me on the Pacific route from SF to Auckland, a nice change from the Hong Kong route. Beware of Air New Zealand. At least in Economy class the leg room was minimal, unless things have changed a lot in the last 9 years. Between Auckland and Christchurch, Air NZ is OK as it's a short flight. They are very particular about allowing no foodstuffs into the country, so be careful - my sister had a visit from a sniffer dog because she had some biscuit crumbs on her clothing!

Rufus2 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:06:18

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/the-long-haul-heres-what-to-expect-on-board-australias-longest-flight/news-story/1b09b307d85bf688b0c378b44941ae07

Don't know if this link is any good, but the reviewer went business class, without any littlies kicking the back of her seat for 17+ hours. grin
Don't forget, Perth counts as a stop-over, with several kms. still to go to NZ! No thanks!
These days, I'd prefer the "slow boat to China" and hop a plane from there, but my sea-legs are now scuppered. sad
Have a quiet flight!
ooRoo

Vickyj137 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:35:38

I’m flying with a 5 and 3 year old.

Oopsadaisy53 Sat 14-Jul-18 23:23:50

Crikey Vickyj137 hats off to you then.